1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rosenior to Sunderland (?)

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Culinary, Jun 10, 2024.

1. Kalman

Kalman Well-Known Member

Majority opinion doesn’t mean it’s correct.

Geo10 likes this.
  2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

No, but as this thread was started by a Sunderland fan wanting to know what City fans thought of Rosie, then what the majority of City fans thought is clearly an important aspect.

rovertiger likes this.
  3. Kalman

Kalman Well-Known Member

The original post said some Sunderland fans have their reservations about the style of play.

What do majority City fans actually think? That Rosenior is a good lad and City fans like him? I mean, yeah sure. But to pretend that it was only a tiny minority of ‘detractors’ who thought the home form and performances was woeful is dishonest.

People can like Rosenior and be shocked he was sacked at the time he was and still think the performances at home especially were dogshit.

4. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I never mentioned a 'tiny minority', I just said this thread didn't give an accurate representation of what the majority of City fans think about Rosie.

5. cheshireles

cheshireles Well-Known Member

If you don't want to lose a game of football, Rosie is your man. If you want to win a game of football, Rosie may not be your man. With all the ability we had at the top end of the pitch, to have matches with zero or just one shot on target the whole game, is dreadful as well as hugely disappointing and at times boring.

6. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

You are right at least when you say "pretty much nobody was expecting him to be sacked" (with the proviso of adding "when he was"). It was a surprise to nearly every one at the time, but on reflection probably shouldn't have been for many.
    Anyway, let's see this supposed majority post their views then.
    I think the responses have largely been reasonable, balanced and fair.
    ps not meaning to open up old debates, keeping it to responses to the OP.

7. HCAFCHangout

HCAFCHangout Well-Known Member

You are right but there is a point as well that I can think of countless times we’d enter a great position in the box and the player would either try too hard and lose the chance (Jaden guilty as many of this) or make an extra pass when not needed.

You can argue if that’s LR’s fault for overcoaching or not but sometimes the players did need to just shoot

8. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I agree. Some of the time that was case. At other times it was the opposite though, we'd shoot miles off target from some really stupid positions at times and waste an attack that had taken a while to build. LR sometimes talked about the need for players to shoot more readily, and there were games where he'd talked about making it a big focus in training that week, and it was evident that players were just twatting it all over as a result. We never seemed to find the right balance in that respect, which I think was one of LR's biggest failings. I'm a huge fan of him and think many of the criticisms of him are totally wrong, but I do think he struggled with that issue.

Baz was saying on the 1904 club the other day that Walter has his players shooting much more readily, and he was framing it as a good thing, but I'm really not sure it's that simple. They need to be doing it at the right times and in the right positions. Blasting it all over like we did at times last season isn't a solution.

HCAFCHangout and Tigerite like this.
  9. pierredelafranchesca

pierredelafranchesca Well-Known Member

Decent manager, you'll play some good football, other times it'll be v frustrating. Coming 7th last year was massive progress for us and he was done over with 2 lengthy injuries to key players (Delap and Philogene both out for > 2 months) at key points of the season. Ultimately, while most of us were surprised when he first went I think most City fans on reflection would prob agree, or at least understand the rationale behind him going.

Real ale tiger likes this.
  10. Tigerite

Tigerite Well-Known Member

The "twatting it all over" was a big factor in why our xG was so rubbish (we finished 11th in the xG table). Obviously xG doesn't mean much in isolation but that's quite telling.

11. bradymk2

bradymk2 Well-Known Member

Whats funny is
    Certain city fans
    Think norwich had an absolute garbage team and ours was like real madrid
    So not finishing above norwich was a sin

12. tigers1970

tigers1970 Well-Known Member

What happened at Plymouth then?

13. tigers1970

tigers1970 Well-Known Member

100% agree him going....your welcome to him

Jim the Tiger likes this.
  14. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

I think it depends on how well your players take to Rosie’s style. If they adapt well you could have a good season, Rosie must have learnt a lot while was here, you might be the beneficiary of all that.
    Fwiw I think he should have been given more time here.

Benjo likes this.
  15. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

Don't we have polls on here anymore ?

I'd like to see who actually agreed with his sacking and who didn't

carry_on_the_grudge likes this.
  16. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

True. We went through an awful lot of players whilst Rosie was here, some of it down to Acun and Tan purchases pre Rosie, some of it down to loans, but there were quire a few that "didn't suit Rosie's style" that had to be replaced. I was surprised Rosie was sacked as I would have given him until Xmas at least, but if his relationship with Acun had broken down, then I can see why he was replaced.

17. HCAFCHangout

Players shat the bed in that one in my opinion. Sign of a relatively young team. Granted Rosenior could’ve prepared them better but it is what it is at this stage

18. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Massive progress?
    15th and 58 points
    7th and 70 points
    It's better but is it "massive progress" considering the better team at the start of the season and the extra quality brought in during the January transfer window.

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  19. HCAFCHangout

It is massive progress. One of the reasons we finished 15th despite a horrid spell under Shota was because of Rosenior steadying the ship. We were top 8 I believe on form under him in the end of 2023 season

I get we can knock Rosenior for a lot but you can’t knock him for progressing the club out of a near relegation to nearly making the playoffs. Let’s be real

Tickton Tiger. likes this.
  20. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

He definitely progressed us, but he's also the reason we didn't achieve the playoffs last season