1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rosberg Retires!!!

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by eddie_squidd, Dec 2, 2016.

1. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

2017-2007 all over again, Kimi wins. That would be something amazing.

2. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

yeah, though I wouldn't mind Max going to Mercedes and being replaced by Sainz, or even Sainz going to Mercedes, he'd keep Hamilton honest. And how long will he have to wait for a space in the Redbull?

3. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

I'd love to see that, mainly to see the petulant buggers out-stropping each other. Think of all the toys getting chucked out of their prams - the VSC would be getting deployed every other lap.

If it did happen, I don't think it would last very long. I can't see Max tolerating any "number 2" situation (even an "implied number 2"). His mindset would be "You've had your time, grandad. I'm here to win, and this is my time. I'm getting in front and staying there, by fair means or foul."

Lewis might still have him on raw speed, but how would he handle Max's unshakeable 'confidence' in his view of the world "How dare they question me! I was in the right. I'm always in the right. And I'll do it again."

Would Lewis's pride & competitive spirit compel him to put Max in his place? Trouncing a fairly gentlemanly Rosberg is one thing, but battling with Max's "no prisoners and no apologies" attitude? In that situation, and with 3 WDC's already under his belt and more than enough distractions outside of F1, might Lewis just walk away to enjoy a playboy lifestyle and leave behind his frustrations with media, mechanical failures, team mates etc?

If he did decide to fight it out, that could lead to some spectacular racing but also a bunch of apocalyptic tantrums on both sides. Great to watch from the outside, but toxic within the team. I wonder how many Team Principals would want to give themselves that kind of headache.

I'd like to see that, and I'm guessing he'd be keen. But if Red Bull think he's any good, I can't see them releasing him to Mercedes. A shame for him - the timing sucks for him trying to get a Red Bull seat.

4. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They refused to release Sainz previously (Renault?) and resigned him to 2019 (I think?) - so cant imagine anything changed. Shame, because he's waiting for Max and Riccardo to decide where he races.

5. Smithers

Forum Moderator

6. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

McLaren will fight tooth and nail for Alonso. Button is done with F1 and they know it, so if they lose Fernando this late they're in big trouble.

7. Big Ern

I can picture every driver currently under contract smashing their houses up and spending the weekend crying on the kitchen floor eating tub after tub of hagen das. the scenarios I want to happen simply won't, apart from having a look at Wehrlein in a decent car. there are a few other drivers that could go their, either of the FI drivers could go in exchange for a special 'customer +' engine deal

8. Smithers

Forum Moderator

If true this would indicate that FI and Merc are at odds as to who is the better junior driver.

9. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

10. Smithers

Forum Moderator

11. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

2018 = WEC.

12. Julius Caesar

Forum Moderator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38282791

Williams have turned down an initial offer for bottas. Almost certainly it's just a case of how much money to release him.

Rosbergs retirement has turned from potentially reinvigorating the sport into something desperately boring. Mercedes are now a one car team.

Smithers likes this.
  13. Smithers

Forum Moderator

It's whether Williams can afford to turn down the deal, but it leaves them knackered on the driver front.

14. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

So Williams reject the Merc bid for Bottas whilst Mercedes look to give them Paddy Lowe in a separate deal that will free up a spot for James Allison to become technical director there.

15. Julius Caesar

Forum Moderator

Perhaps Williams will demand enough money to cover any losses in WCC position (and a bit more) write off 2017 and throw all they've got into the Paddy Lowe 2018 car?

TopClass likes this.
  16. Big Ern

some special 'customer +' engine deal

17. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be rude about Bottas... but is this really the best they can come up with?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  18. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

It's because that half wit Toto still plays part of Bottas' management team.

Bottas would possibly be easier to control.

Personally I think he is drastically overrated based on some podiums at the beginning of the new power unit era where Williams had a good power unit and foundation straight out of the box. He hasn't impressed me much since at all.

Still maintain Hulk was the man they needed and Renault could have taken the compensation to take Sainz off of Red Bulls hands as some sort of deal to keep Renault playing ball with the engine side of things.

19. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

My thoughts entirely. The most disappointing choice.

Either choose a young gun with potential for the future, or a current top level driver. Not some midfield placeholder. Very disappointing.

20. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

tbh Perez would be better. He is a more exciting driver for me.