1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rocketman

Discussion in 'Watford' started by yorkshirehornet, Jun 10, 2019.

1. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

The Elton John Biopic is out.... and a number of us have seen it...
    What are your views??
    upload_2019-6-10_15-18-54.jpeg

2. yorkshirehornet

I was not thinking of seeing it, not being a great fan of his music or his early persona. However I saw Mark Kermode, who I rate as a serious film critic, review it on TV.... and on the basis of that we went last night.

I was very pleasantly entertained. It reminded me in places of a Ken Russell film, reflecting EJs alienation from his self in his 20s and thirties.
    The journey of EJ in and out of addiction was well done and I could not fail to warm to him.
    Since his recovery he has made so much money for AIDS charity it is no wonder he and Diana developed a close intimacy...
    I enjoyed a few seconds of old Watford shirts!

3. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

We saw it a couple of weeks ago and were hoping for another excellent biopic like the Freddie film but soon after the film started it went into an awful musical sing and dance routine and my heart sank as l can't stand musicals. Watching gay and drug taking activities leaves me cold too. Around these bits there were some good bits but overall we left dissapointed.

4. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm yet to see it, i want to, and then again, i'm not sure i want to..should i want to?!

canary-dave likes this.
  5. yorkshirehornet

But it was his story Scully.. That's how he lived. So many pop stars great a false persona and then can't live with it.. Robbie Williams is are recent example. Eric Clapton, Michael Jackson etc
    I think this was very brave of EJ
    I never liked his music or his act.. But this film has really increased my respect for him.
    He has been abstinent since then and raised over 450mill for charity.

To be fair too, it is listed as a musical... [emoji106]
    Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

6. yorkshirehornet

I think to get a better understanding of the man, who we all love as part of the Watford family, it is worth it.

Hornette_TID likes this.
  7. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

It was very much aimed at Elton's early life growing up as a child with only really Grandma supporting him then the journey through him signing up with his first record company and getting a contract to tour the States.

Of course there was the issues with his drugs and drink problem in the story as that happened before he really got involved with Watford I believe and the relationships Elton had which seemed to be toxic at times.

Not much about us really but then its probably not aimed at us as football fans!

More the general music fan.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  8. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Fair comment re the drugs etc but musical genre spoiled it mostly and detracted from a serious biopic.

9. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It hasn't reached the Majestic in town yet, so all I have seen is clips on YouTube. I did see Bohemian Rhapsody last November when I was in England and was blown away by it. As Queen and Elton are two of my favourite recording and performance artists, I really will try to see Rocketman, but I have some doubts about how it has been put together, not as a biopic as for Queen, but from some of the clips I have seen more of a fantasy.
    When it does reach town here it will probably have sub-titles, but I just hope they don't try and overdub it.

brian_66_usa and Deleted....... like this.
  10. Not a real cinema goer but will watch when it comes out on Sky or whatever. I like some of his music but wouldn't say he was a favourite. I do admire his honesty and generosity and I love his passion for life especially cricket and football.

11. yorkshirehornet

EJ oversaw it.... so it did reflect his mindset from that era...

I gues he was living half in a fanatsy and half in a lonely and unhappy mind...

I always am ambivalent about musicals... bit like our local japanese restaurant, I always want to go elsewhere to eat, but when there I quite enjoy it....

Deleted....... likes this.
  12. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

It is aimed at a US audience principally - hence no mention of WFC - which does leave out a significant element in his life. Yet they depicted suburban Pinner very well, and the scene showing Pinner fair delighted and surprised me. (I saw my first and only (so far as I can admit or remember) stripper there - by peeking under a tent). I found 2 things disappointing. First that the 'John' in elton John came from looking at a picture of John Lennon. Rubbish. It's (we all know) from Long John Baldry. Second, the songs seem based almost exclusively on his first LP! That said, I thought the film was brilliant , evocative and captured our amazing devoted EJ as well as it could be done. It was skilful, entertaining and at times moving.

Deleted....... and oldfrenchhorn like this.
  13. yorkshirehornet

The lead actor gave a very gifted performance... Very impressed with him...

14. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Taran Egerton is a very good actor indeed. Did a really good job with Eddie the Eagle too, both funny and sympathetic. Then of course there's Kingsman. We've seen him as a boy in Lewis too... apparently the Robin Hood film was a bit of a turkey, mind.

15. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

I watched the film tonight, very disappointed. I'm afraid it is nowhere near as good as the Queen film. John Reid was made out to be a shady character, wasn't he on WFCs board for a time?

Hornette_TID likes this.
  16. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

John Reid was a money grabbing slime ball who paid Elton £3.4M in an out of court settlement after it was shown how his company was ripping Elton off.

brian_66_usa and Hornet-Fez like this.
  17. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Andy Serkis' portrayal of Ian Dury was a stunning performance in Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll.
    Val Kilmer playing Jim Morrison actually got me to appreciate how good The Doors were.
    Both better films than Bohemian Rhapsody and both almost certainly more historically accurate. Still not seen Rocketman.

18. yorkshirehornet

Doors were amazing.....

Hornette_TID likes this.
  19. yorkshirehornet

Finally got to see Bohemian Rhapsody last night.. And found it very touching. I never was a queen fan as I was not a great lover of big anthems etc.. But thought it was a good film...

Still got to see the Doors film. I loved the doors and had all their albums.. And was lucky enough to see them a couple of times before Jim Morrison died...

20. yorkshirehornet

Two very special evenings in remotest Swaledale this weekend with friends reflecting on the life of one of the greatest iconic musicians of the 20th century.

First of all on Saturday the film, Living in the Material world reflecting on the inspirational life of George.... 3 and a half hours of music and reflection put together by Martin Scorcese and Olivia, his wife. We also had the book by Olivia. A very special evening.

Take an evening to watch this remarkable film.....

Then on Sunday evening we watched the full Concert for George which was a wonderful event . A great celebration of a great life.

Any music lover cannot fail to be inspired......