1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rochdale

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by WINDYROG, Apr 16, 2016.

1. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Now a serious 6 pointer on Tuesday.......can JE turn this around or will the collapse continue. This is not a blip but a caving in after today's home defeat....the second inside a week.

2. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

yes was only seven teams in search of play offs but with our two loses brings in more teams. If Rochdale win only be 1 point behind, if we do win they will be 7 behind with only 3 games left. Big big match

3. brb

brb CR250

Right I will say it yet again...

Now this is nothing personal against the guy and I'm NOT blaming him but if i were to make a massive tactical change it would be to get Cody off, put Donnelly up front and give Dack a free role...simples

Any other time supporters would have been ramming these stats down my throat;

1. Dack
    2. Donnelly

4. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I was going to the game - but with the travelling time, it would take up the best part of 2 days. I've thought about that - and decided that I had already wasted 2 days of my life in the last week ( I bet you don't know which days they were ? )

5. alwaysright

Definitely not a blip
    Since mid February the 'collapse' has featured 11 games. We've won 2. One was v Crewe (relegated). We've drawn 4 and lost 5 ( notably against teams in the lower part of the division ). We've scored 9 and conceded 'only' 11. Our points tally is 10.

That is relegation form ! - despite the comparatively few goals conceded. We could go the whole season unbeaten - and NOT conceding ONE goal -- drawing 46 games, and gaining 46 points, but we would get relegated. IF you don't score goals, you can't win games. At the moment we'd be lucky to score in a house adorned with red lights.
    JE needs to get the players to start playing like we did on the opening day of this season - before this season comes to a pre-mature end.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone - and don't forget to renew your season tickets 'early-bird' style -- before the 'availability' is 'exceeded.' - You wouldn't want to miss out on getting a seat - we've only got 11,582 left.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  6. brb

brb CR250

That last sentence is brilliant <laugh><applause>

7. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Another way of looking at it, is having gone 6 games undefeated, scoring 5 and conceding only 1, our points tally was 10, the same form over the last 6 games of the season would have given us 78 points and a playoff spot. Why did Jed decide to change the team (Dropping Dickenson and Norris) and the style when we were so close. The football in those games might not have been attractive, but it was working to achieve a positive result.

8. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Brb, I'm not really sure how much more of a free role you can give to Dack apart from giving him the number 10 role which he already plays. In terms of Donnelly his goals have come in two short spurts and having watched him recently, he seems to run around a bit like a headless chicken. Without wanting to upset his other half too much, but I think Rory actually needs to be dropped at the moment or at least not play him next to Cody because Cody can't be the target man and fox in the box. All the time Samuel is injured, Norris should be starting every game for me as he's the only striker we've got who can actually hold the ball for more than 3 seconds.

9. brb

brb CR250

Gills PegLeg - I think you more or less hit my point maybe without realising it, i do not want a fox in the box. Hence why i'm probably saying Cody should be dropped. Too much quality in that Dack & Cody should not be together, one or the other, but it will always be Dack for me, he is versatile and energetic. Don't crowd the box when Dack is around, hence why we need Dack & Donnelly, i don't want a player that can hold the ball more than 3 seconds unless he's running with it. Both Dack & Donnelly have scored more than any other player, normally people would be ramming that fact down my throat by now in any other season. But i accept whether it be Donnelly or Norris that is a matter of personal choice, all i'm really saying is those choices do not include Cody for me. Albeit come Wall he's more likely the player to do a Jacko...unless Dack steals the limelight once again :)

10. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

It's not just about holding the ball up though is it, the last 3 goals scored have all come from Norris, strikers are all about confidence and being in-form, at the moment that is Norris. Donnelly hasn't been that special over the last couple of months, there is also his assists to consider, Norris is accused of being greedy yet has 4 assists, Donnelly only has 2.

11. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Least grumpy understood my point. Brb I know you've got some sort of vendetta against Cody this season but as both myself and grumpy have tried to explain, Rory has been out of form for a while and frankly I don't know how we can persist with playing him when there are other options. We all know that Cody will score goals at this level as now he's returning to match fitness, it's probably wise to give him another chance in the side than someone who is lacking in confidence and not moving how he was in his 2 fruitful spells this season.

12. alwaysright

Guys
    To be brutally honest - It seems that we simply haven't got strikers that are good enough - on their own. Even with the right type of 'partner' they need creativity. That has only really happened when we've had Dack in the side. We are relying on Bradley at the moment - and when teams crowd him out, we don't offer much else - and yet at the start of the season, we were passing the ball neatly and moving into spaces - and the whole team were finding positions from which to score.
    It started to go wrong a couple of months ago - when injuries broke the rhythm of the side and how it played - but, by and large, the injured players have returned.
    A good team doesn't become bad overnight ? or is it that we were (are) an ordinary team that got lucky for half the season ?
    Perhaps JE could do worse than to play the Sheffield Utd (4-0) video to remind the players of what they can do.

13. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Whilst the injuries may have played a part, the wobble had already started before Dack, Egan, Samuels were out. In fact whilst they were out we had a 6 game undefeated run, it's since they have come back we have lost 2 at home. We need to go back to that hard to beat set-up and used while these injured players were out.

14. alwaysright

Hence why I said that we are an ordinary team that got lucky in the first half of the season.
    Being a Gills' fan, my glass is always half empty ! ( at least ).

15. brb

brb CR250

Grumpy & PegLeg - I don't think i have said any where that Donelly should play a head of Norris, other than merely give my choice. Based on this three second theory....Norris back to goal holds it for three seconds....feeds Cody....er now where have we seen that before...ah explains the over the top.

Sorry guys but i thought we had moved on from the Bayo days...good as they were.

I hasten to add i have NO vendetta against Cody...i just don't worship a non scoring messiah.

But all said in jest and with a smile my friends....but do i believe what i say....yes i do, that's why we love football and difference of opinion :)

16. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Norris should start today with Dack just behind like Alli for Spurs.So no starts for cody and Donnelly

17. brb

brb CR250

gioblues, I agree, this all along is what I was trying to get at in a round about way. Whether it is Norris or Donnelly is irrelevant to me, based on most recent stats I accept that formation. I just think anything else and you have players crowding the ability of individuals, Sheffield United in August it worked. I suppose my frustration elsewhere is just born on old ways, when I thought at season start we found a new exciting attacking way for the team - if that makes sense.

Edit; looks like our wish has been granted, watch us get shot at 10pm tonight <laugh>

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  18. brb

brb CR250

ok my plan H - stuff the strikers and just bring on John Egan...I'm a genius ;) <laugh>

19. alwaysright

Squeaky bum time

Well done Gills - perhaps a lucky point gained. Shame that Barnsley got a late winner to draw level on points. It looks like we might need for Wigan to do us a favour on the last day - when they play Barnsley at home - we probably will need for Barnsley to lose that game if we are to stay in the top 6.
    We do need to be more positive - a win is an absolute must on Saturday otherwise it will end in tears (early).

It might work in our favour that Barnsley have a 12.30 KO (away) at Sheffield Utd on Saturday.
    If they lose and we can win against Shrewsbury later in the afternoon, it will put us 3 points ahead of Barnsley ( and our superior goal difference would be worth an extra point ) - and with only two games thereafter, we'd probably only need a point from our last two games --

And if Wigan do beat Barnsley on the last day, we could still scrape top 6 even if we lose the last 2 games - BUT - we MUST win on Saturday (please).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  20. brb

brb CR250