1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Robinson's flawed 4-2-3-1 obsession

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Aug 12, 2017.

1. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

I would prefer Clarke up front instead of a DoDo <ok>

2. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I agree we should explore playing 3 centre backs, but that midfield has a severe lack of creativity as things stand. If we swapped to a more direct approach then it could off-set my concern somewhat but that would mean KR changing philosophy as well as formation.

I now fear we'll start to see players being played out of position, exposing our lack of depth.

3. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

I expect Dodo to play, since our job is to put him in the shop window for Rangers. Humiliating or what.

4. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

If Rangers paid £250,000 for Dodoo I hope they kept the receipt.

ForestHillBilly likes this.
  5. ForestHillBilly

The Dodoo deal shows how Roland has chipped away at Charlton's self-respect, and how he has browbeaten the manager into accepting it. Robinson will accept whatever Roland throws at him now.

6. Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski Well-Known Member

Should have signed some more players! #JustSayin'

It's evident that we have absolutely no depth or quality to turn a game around. Another mid-table season. The last two games were VERY winnable and would have seen us go top of the table. Under another owner, we would have been top by now.

7. User deleted as requested

Robinson - a one dimensional publicity seeker lower league scrubber - Mike Bassett without the intentional laughs. “Gobbo” says he expected more from our subs today - YOU signed Dodoo, you useless lump of Scouse lard, and Konsa should have come in for your obvious favourite Caskey weeks ago.

Southend, Wigan and now Bury have all come to the Valley and needled and fouled us, quickly closing us down.

The Gob has been rumbled.

One successful season in 8 as a manager - the same season he had Dele Alli <cheers>

ForestHillBilly and lardiman like this.
  8. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

So bang on the money, I thought it should be highlighted.

9. ForestHillBilly

4-2-3-1 has run its course. Robinson has to either change his tactics or teach the players to play 4-2-3-1 effectively. And he's been at the club long enough to have done either of these two options, so we may well be stuck in a downward spiral with the same dreary pattern. A few nice little short passes in a wide midfield position, then a pass back to a central defender, then a hoof up the park towards an isolated Magennis. With a bit of luck the ball will break to Holmes, who sends a hopeful cross into a sea of defenders in the box or overhits it out of play. The5 midfielders will be somewhere near the halfway line. If this continues much longer our dwindling band of fans will dwindle even further.

10. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

If Reeves was the man behind Magennis then I think we would have more success in the box. As things stand we can't rely on him, so we have to mix it up.

11. User deleted as requested

At the time we appointed Robinson, there were plenty of MKD fans on social media stating that their disillusion with Robinson stemmed from his obsession with 4-2-3-1.
    I remember a specific comment that KR only ever had success with this system when he had Dele Alli and Afobe in his L1 team.

Robinson’s football is better to watch that Slade’s, but I suspect it will end up being equally unsuccessful, and that’s all that matters.

12. ForestHillBilly

Hardly a recommendation, though:emoticon-0145-shake. And we have started to look so toothless and predictable that it will become marginal if we don't improve.
    Reeves main problem is his lack of appetite for the game, even more than his fitness issues. Until he addresses that he's a waste of space.

13. User deleted as requested

As @baraettmattesvensson said, to us Charlton is a passion, to the players it’s a pay packet. The train video proved that our current crop of players got over that defeat on Saturday very quickly, why wouldn’t they? It was just galling to see two of the biggest wages thieves - Reeves and Page - at the forefront of the jollity.

14. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I have no problem at all with 'Work hard, play hard' as a maxim,
    where the definition of 'Work hard' is to be successful at your job.

More than half of our team did not work hard enough on Saturday. They did not want the win enough to earn it.
    It seems that once again the image (a great spirit in the dressing room and overflowing confidence) does not match the reality.

15. ForestHillBilly

Robinson's cheery optimism has been helpful so far in making the best of a bad situation, but how long can he keep it up? If Roland ends up refusing to sell because of his unrealistic financial demands, and he performs in January this year the way he has in every other January, there will be no grounds for genuine optimism. Robinson is not stupid, he will realise he's been stitched up and will be faced with Hobson's choice. Does he carry on with a squad which by his own admission is not strong enough, and wait for Roland's axe to fall, or does he resign with his head held high?

16. User deleted as requested

We have picked up another injury this week to add to Bauer & Fosu. The speculation is its Marshall or Clarke.

Let’s hope its not Ben Reeves, he is the heart & soul of this side.

lardiman likes this.
  17. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I take it "heart & soul" is cockney rhyming slang for another part of the body...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  18. User deleted as requested

Robinson told the albino Mendez after today’s game that he has “mixed up” our playing style in recent weeks.

Anyone have a clue what he is talking about ?

The diamond midfield ?
    5 at the back ?
    4-4-2 & a partner for Josh ?

19. ForestHillBilly

Sorry, can't help you there.

20. User deleted as requested

Laughed at this description of Robinson overnight on CL -

“ A chirpy likeable clown”