1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Robinson or Gomes?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by TrifficSpurs, Jun 3, 2011.

1. TrifficSpurs

TrifficSpurs Member

This article was posted on 606 at the end of the 2007/08 season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A37802847

Gomes won the majority of the vote. I'd be a lot of money that nowadays it's a whole different story.

I'd have Robbo all day. <cheers>

2. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Wasn't this poll done before Gomes had played a game for us?

Robinson would of been solid under Redknapp.

Communication is important for a goalkeeper and I think Gomes' lack of english has cost him.

3. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

Robinson was very good for Spurs for a few years. Yes it all unravelled a bit for him at the end but there's no doubt that, in retrospect, his tenure will be seen as more of a success than Gomes'.

By the time he left I could see he had to go but he was great for Spurs for the most part. And by rights would still be England's number two if he hadn't retired.

4. Stone Cold Dean Austin

I couldn't bare to watch Robbo getting beat from every long range shot again. Maybe it'd be different now though with Sandro/Wilson protecting the back four as opposed to THudd. Still, I'd rather Gomes but only just and that's assuming he can get his head sorted out. I think he's a class keeper as he showed for most of last season. He just needs to work on his mental strength so he can bounce back from the odd mistake and not be a shuddering mess when the inevitable mistake happens.

5. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Gomes for me, by a mile.
    Robinson's still got the same weaknesses, it's just that time has diluted them in people's memories and he always had a very good relationship with the fans.

6. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

Robbo still gets beat from distance at Blackburn, he's also still obsessed with showing everyone how far he can kick it, consequently surrendering posession, no thanks.

7. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

Robbo for me,please not says he still Has the same weaknesses,i,know he used to beaten by long range shots,but i don't remember many this season.every motd him seemed to pull off at least a couple of good saves,and he does'nt fanny around in the area like gomes

8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Gomes every time - he isn't guaranteed to be beaten by every shot from outside the area, and doesn't think distribution can only mean hoofing the ball in the general direction of the tallest striker.

But because Sky Sports isn't dictating that Robbo is a terrible keeper, that must mean he's better...

9. random92

random92 Member

For some reason, we always seem to have keepers when they start making their stupid errors. Robinson started during his phase at Spurs, and Gomes has as well. Is there something wrong with our backroom staff in relation to GK coaching?

10. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Somebody posted on Old 606 that, back when Hans Segers was our goalkeeping coach, Robbo was given an easy time in training and never pushed himself - which is more a reflection on Segers than Robbo, I hasten to add.

11. BigJohnny

BigJohnny Member

Not really mate as Robinson should be pushing himself if he wants to stay at the top of the game but coaching can only do so much for a keeper, much like coaching and prep can only do so much in boxing as when it comes down to the big games and fights its what is in your head that matters and that is why you get keepers like gomes and robinson as they don't have the belief to be the best, which is why they make silly errors.

12. Chirpy rides again

Chirpy rides again Active Member

Robinson's confidence was shot after the Croatia bungle (more Neville's fault than his,) and he never recovered. I agree that Harry would probably have been able to get his head right. He is a far better keeper than Gomes and the defence we have now could benefit from a steadying influence between the sticks who can marshall them a little, instead of barely being able to communicate with them and looking gormless after his latest gaffe. Robinson, without a doubt.

13. Doovdé

Doovdé Member

Has to be Gomes, though Robbo has had a brilliant season or two.

Gomes is a top draw shot stopper, but those 3-4 howlers have done nothing for his confidence, obviously not good for a GK who thrives on confidence. People forget far too easily what he did for Spurs last season. He was one of our major contributing players that got us 4th.