1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Robertson

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by DanKelly, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

This is exactly the kind of thing us Dundee United fans were saying early last season when were were questioning exactly why it looked like we were going into the season with an untested 19 year old who had never played full time football as our only left back!, then we saw he was actually very good, then we said he had to do it consistently..... and he did. He never really had even one "bad" game as such, which just adds to the impressive nature of his step up. We expected him to have a few nightmare games just down to complete inexperience (like our previous left back who ended up moving to Lech Poznan and is vastly inferior to Andy in every way), it never happened with Andy.

His drive and determination is just ridiculously good, even when he had only played 3 or 4 games for us... if we went a goal down, he was the one picking up the experienced players and driving the team on. If there's no options on in front of him, he'll take things on himself, he won't think twice about taking the ball the full length of the pitch and having a go himself (something he did to great effect for us, very good finisher too).

Obviously the EPL is still another big step for him from the SPL, but there's no doubt he can handle it. He is playing a slightly different role for you than he did for us, so he will only get fitter... not that he is unfit, he is very fit, he has only trained full time just over a year so he's really still adapting to that!.

Things he does need to improve on... positionally he can get caught out, mostly down to his desire to get forward. And he is prone to picking up the odd silly yellow, but apart from that, he's already got all the tools, just minor tweaking required here and there.

I've seen quite a lot of young players of huge talent up close (including Gauld aka mini Messi who we also sold to Sporting Lisbon for 3 million recently and is also a player with ridiculous potential), but in my view, Robertson on balance is probably the best one. He not only has the talent, but the consistency and application. What i saw of Bale when he was younger (obviously not as close up as Andy), he wasn't as complete a player either.

Delighted how well he is doing and hope Hull have a fantastic season with him! :)

2. Davies Headband

Davies Headband Well-Known Member

Another good post, don't disagree with any of it. How's Conor Townsend getting on for you so far? I seem to think I saw he was injured so wasn't playing but could have made that up to be honest.

Quite a big season for the lad, he's getting to an age now where he'll have to make an impact or he'll end up moving on like Cooper, Cairney and Bradley.

3. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

Yeah he's injured, think he's had a flare up in his foot from an injury (broken foot?) he sustained on loan at Carlisle and has been out a few weeks resting it.

So far he has looked ok. He started off fairly well and looks more than capable/steady enough at SPL level but he's no Robertson (to be expected, we were never going to replace him with somebody as good, and if he was as good, there wouldn't have been much need for you to sign Andy!).

I don't want to sound harsh towards him, but i don't see him stepping up to EPL level based on what we've seen so far (perhaps there is more to come once he has settled though).

He's solid enough for our level but certainly not Robertson stand out. Doesn't quite seem to have the pace or absolute drive in him or any real stand out attributes, he's by no means a bad player (just has the impossible task of being compared to who just left!) but just on what we've seen, it "feels" like SPL is around about his level, potentially solid Championship in future etc.

4. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

Sky sports man of the match, match of the day team of the week, described as 'impressive' on the bbc website and an excellent signing according the Shearer. All on the back of a performance which was good, but we've seen better.

People are starting to take notice.

5. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Which is actually the most worrying thing.

On the Monday Night Football the other week against West Ham, G.Neville was singing his praises (and Elmo's) for a good 5 of his 10 minutes talking about us, saying how impressed he was.

6. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

Aye, but it's bumping his price up.

We have to be realistic. If he develops the way we are expecting, he'll probably be gone within two years. Let's just enjoy it while it lasts.

We'll have Max Clark ready to replace him be then anyway...

7. armchairfan

armchairfan Well-Known Member

Actually I don't think Brady's done bad this season when given a chance.

8. Mac3

Mac3 Member

Had a little look on a Palace board. Most of them are very impressed with Robertson and wondering why they didn't go for him.

I agree, does have a mistake in him, generally its a positioning problem when it is. Seems to make up for it sometimes with his pace and determination though.

9. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

I've only watched him on TV in all the games he's played for City this season....but this lad is excellent ( like every post before has said) and will go much further in this game.
    A few rough edges - hardly surprising given his age and exposure, but apart from his obvious footballing skills, he seems to be a natural leader. I say that because he seems (as far as I can tell watching telly) to talk, encourage & organize those around him - not afraid to have dialogue on the pitch with more senior players & tell (suggest to) them what they should be doing. That's confidence. A great attribute if you have skills to back you up.
    We've got a gem here. He may end up moving on - good luck to him if that happens - but either way, we'll gain significantly from having him on our books.

10. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

As said before, Was the first thing noticeable in him at Dundee United too, we had him at 19 making his professional debut letting rip at 30 year old John Rankin (a man with around 250 spl appearances under his belt) for not dropping in to cover him, then trying to gee up the club captain, 30 year old Sean Dillon.

As for confidence, you just need to look at his Scotland debut v Poland away, his first touch when he came on was to skin the Borussia Dortmund 1st choice full back Piszcek and take the ball on a 40 yard run after leaving him for dead! <laugh>

Attitude spot on, with the ability to match.

Very level headed lad too, he can easily take the hype and not let it get to him, even when he was getting it here, he was showing up at the u20 games to cheer on his friends, happy to chat away to fans etc etc.

I know for a fact that Man United were watching 2 of our other prospects at the time, Ryan Gauld and John Souttar and had scouts up at 4 or 5 of our games and Andy was the one they went back to Moyes with the glowing reports and he was due to come up and watch Andy himself.... by that was when he ran out of employment! <laugh> He's better than Shaw. It beggars belief that he went for nearly 30 million to them and they could have had Andy for 10% of that. Their loss is your gain though :)

11. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

I'm resigned to him leaving in the next year or so which is a pity, I really want to embrace him and enjoy him as a Hull player but I know he'll be off before long. That said I wouldn't want less than 30m for him, he's that good.

12. Quill

Quill Bastard

If we are going to lose him, I guarantee it will be a record sell for us. Wouldn't take anything below £15m. In fact £20m.

I bloody love him. Had a feeling he'd be our best signing alongside Diame, both are proving that very much right so far.

13. Cityswall

Cityswall Well-Known Member

In summer 2015 or Jan 2016 I can see a bidding war start and it wont just be EPL clubs at it either IMHO.

Also how strange would it be to see a Hull City player getting one of the BIG awards at the PFA awards at the end of the year (It has to be a possibility surely)

14. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

Probably best not to get ahead of ourselves just yet.

15. Chilton's Hundreds

Chilton's Hundreds Well-Known Member

Yes much as the lad has impressed he's still very young.

He's exciting to watch and he WILL probably score a 30 yard screamer at some point this season.

I'm even tempted to watch Scotland if he plays for them this week....

16. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I loved his reaction after Diame headed the ball in the net, jumping round like a child at Christmas.

17. ARTIM

ARTIM Member

Talking about him being a leader, in the first half on Saturday he received the ball started to move forwRd and told Davies to go back, cheeky sod, it was good to see.

18. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

Yep. Half the time players look like they are just going through the motions with their celebrations. But that was a proper get the **** in reaction.

19. renegadetiger

renegadetiger Well-Known Member

Yeah I spotted that. Great to see.

20. DanKelly

DanKelly Well-Known Member

So what's everyone's value of young Robertson ATM and what do you think he'll be worth in January if he keeps improving. Because I think he will be gone in January, too many people are singing his praises.