1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rob Green rejects Chelsea, opts to stay with QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by kiwiqpr, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Rodney

Rodney Well-Known Member

I think Green has been great for us. He's made the very occasional mistake (which keeper doesn't?) and his kicking is poor but I'd welcome him staying IF he's affordable. Green is a proven performer and made a string of outstanding saves last season. As much as I like the youthful promise of McCarthy, I have to ask why we would allow a proven asset like Green to leave, taking a chance on McCarthy, when you don't have to do so.

qpr1976 likes this.
  2. EscapeGoat

EscapeGoat Well-Known Member

I don't really think we're taking a chance with McCarthy. He's not exactly a Youth Team keeper. He's made 57 appearances as a starter in the Championship as well as 13 Premier League starts with Reading.

Green's hardly going to leave and excel for another club, he's too old. Chelsea only enquired about him to be a bench boy. He'd be there next Mark Schwarzer.

3. elnino37

elnino37 Active Member

Also worth noting, if we are giving it all the large about Rob Green getting an England call up... Alex McCarthy was in the England squad two seasons ago. So why aren't we using him as our number 1?

EscapeGoat likes this.
  4. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Do you know this for a fact?

qpr1976 likes this.
  5. elnino37

elnino37 Active Member

Is that a serious response? If you would like to get pedantic about me not writing "in my opinion" before every statement then be my guest. However, if you are treading that line 'facts' do not necessarily mean that someone is better than someone else. In football 'facts' would be statistics, yes? Statistically speaking, Mile Jedinak is better than Nemanja Matic. Do you agree with that? Also, Leroy Fer is our best player, do you agree with that?

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...erStatistics/England-Premier-League-2014-2015

6. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Yes it was a serious response, if that is what you think then fine. But don't talk down to me as though I am five years old.

7. KooPeeArr

KooPeeArr Well-Known Member

There was a late corner during the Newcastle game when I feared for us but McCarthy came and gathered emphatically.

It's not much from 2 games but it was something that I don't think Green would have done - he usually punches in a crowded box but that moment was effortlessly dominant from our hitherto stand-in.

McCarthy's shot stopping when he gets games should be nearer Cesar's standards (if I haven't rose tinted memories of the youngster's talent) and I honestly think that he could vie for the England starting position rather than a squad place if we gave him an extended run.

EscapeGoat likes this.
  8. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Not so impressed by Green. Makes some great saves, but otherwise he's dodgy at about everything at best. Every Keeper playing against us in the PL, I half noticed, looked a lot better. I'd prefer to see McCarthy as our main Keeper next season.

EscapeGoat and Ranger74 like this.