1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rivals Watch

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Sunderpitt, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

It does seem that we shall be in the mix for automatic promotion/play offs.

As it stands we are one point behind Rotherham same number of games.

Wigan who do not play for a few games have several games in hand. They are a big threat!

Wycombe who we play next week are rivals, so that game is crucial. I think the player who took Watmore out a couple is seasons ago is no longer playing?

Oxford and Plymouth are also rivals.

I was gutted Rotherham win late in the day yesterday but there will lots of ups, downs, if's or buts in the next four months.
    We just need to concentrate on ourselves not get too up like after Thursday not too down when we inevitably lose a game in the future.
    Wycombe will be a big test, far more physical than Wednesday were but it's our own game plan we've got to trust. We have the players who can open anybody up so whoever we do lose to they will have had to work bloody hard to achieve it.
    Hard game next Saturday but aren't they all in this league. HTL.

Likewise, it was 1-1 for ages.

We play Rotherham at home and Wigan away... depending on results both could be crucial.

Also will a new rival emerge from the pack?

If we win all our games the worst we can be is 2nd by 2 points

'tis a strange league this one mind, most teams seem to hit some kind of 'slump' as well as going on a decent run, we have had a mini slump rotherham and wigan still to have one, a lot of their wins have been narrow, hard fought ones with quite a few late winners thrown in i think.

not easy to keep 'nicking wins' and while some have been relatively lucky with injuries we have had our usual bad run but still managed to keep in touch and with the current squad plus a couple of nice additions in the window i feel we have a good chance of keeping our PPG where it needs to be.

of course, being sunderland we are all waiting for the next bad run but this time it is us with points on the board rather than games in hand, we have seen how a congested fixture list can take it out of teams.

I’m grateful that for once we are not one of the teams with 3/4 games in hand. We could never capitalise on that advantage, playing Saturday/Tuesday for months on end with injuries and suspensions piling up is relentless. I am adamant that a similar situation will occur with the likes of Wigan etc.

Agree with everything said so far, the promised land is on the horizon, we are equipped as well as anybody to get there , we just have to keep going and hope the others buckle first, the transfer window and injury list are imponderables. but its onwards and upwards for us, imo.

I'm convinced that getting to the Checkatrade/Papa John's finals cost us promotion twice. The fixture pile up meant our run in was relentless and the psychology of knowing we couldn't afford a slip up put extra pressure on. Then when we stumbled both times, that was probably enough of a psychological blow that we struggled to pick ourselves up from. It's telling that in both seasons the play off winners were the ones who came with the late run, had confidence and momentum going into into them, while ourselves and Portsmouth (first season) had to try and haul ourselves back up.

I only pay attention when we have been involved over the years, but seems go be the way with the play-offs. It must be a psychological boost to just make the play offs where just missing out on automatic is a kick in the teeth.

Sheff Wed losing at Shrewsbury 1-0 half time.

Teams seem to get into their stride then falter ...

... as I've said before there are no outstanding teams in L1.

But with two or three quality additions we could be!!

Being a mistrusting pesimist, I’m waiting for the efl to extend the season because of postponements due to covid.

Maybe, but I guess it’s just going to eat even more into next year which has a winter break because of the World Cup.

I’m more worried about them calling the season early again like when Wycombe went up. What a farce that was.

Checked the figures Rooch and dead right if we win all our games then we beat both Roth. & Wigan.
    Wigan = 117
    SAFC = 115
    Roth. = 113
    However there is one other factor - Fri 18 Feb
    Wigan play Roth. If Roth. win -
    SAFC = 115
    Wigan = 114
    Roth. = 113
    Got nowt better to do - so I’m indulging myself playing with numbers. <laugh>
    KTF

"Got nowt better to do - so I’m indulging myself playing with numbers."

Why not mate, that's what it's all about.

I think this year will be really tight for the top three teams and one result can make all the difference.

All kinds of things can affect the table and we have a game at Wycombe that could see us 7 points ahead of them.

On the same day Rotherham, Wigan and Plymouth have tough, but winnable cup fixtures against Championship teams.

I don't know if we deliberately baled out of the cups but I'd much rather be looking to pick up 3 points than go to Birmingham.

Things look good and we have a good looking January and February ending with a trip to Wigan ...

... win there and I think we'll finish top two.

I like your version better <laugh>

Sheff Wed lost something like 1 game in 10 or 11 after losing to us. Their fans wanted the manager sacking after the defeat!! Fickle bunch us footy fans!!

28 minutes of injury time in Cambridge v. Portsmouth today. Finished 0-0.
    Don’t know what happened to cause that. Possibly a bad injury.

Another medical incident in the crowd. Cambridge fan.

Another attention seeker in the crowd feigning a heart attack ...

... they shouldn't keep stopping games every time someone has trapped wind ffs.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2022
  2. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

Have you taken the 3 points off Wigan cause Rotheram beat them and not given them to Rotherham?

You have them on same points in both?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  3. young2077

Im guessing this is tongue in cheek, but is it a new thing to stop ges with incidents like this as I'm sure over the years things like this will happen in a crowd at some match a couple times a season but can't remember hearing about it in this way?

4. safc-noggieland

safc-noggieland Well-Known Member

No coz l had all 3 teams winning sll their games. BUT one has to lose (or both draw!) when they meet in Feb. thus as l gave the win to Wigan they keep all their points whereas Roth. must be reduced by 3pts.
    should it be a draw and all the rest are wins -
    SAFC. 115
    Wigan. 115
    Roth. 111
    KTF

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  5. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

You're quite right mate.

To be honest though, there is a hidden message that I believe clubs should have training exercises and procedures for these incidents. It's worrying if games keep being delayed or interrupted like this. No doubt some Portsmouth supporters will have had taxis ordered, trains to catch, etc.

If someone is having a heart attack that's one thing and you'd accept it ...

... but you'd feel aggrieved if someone was drunk, fell down and cracked his head open.

6. young2077

Yeah but Roth have 113 on both occasions.

I assume if they lose their meeting in the first calculation they should have 110 and this is an error showing 113 or am I being stupid and missing something, which can happen to me <laugh>.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  7. young2077

I have always just assumed things like this are being dealt with without the match being delayed.

clockstander likes this.
  8. Sunderpitt

They also stop the tube trains if some unfortunate has a heart attack or is taken ill. The paramedics have to arrive and take them off from the station, all other trains are backed up.

9. Porterfield73

Porterfield73 Well-Known Member

i think its because all clubs medical teams are CPR trained now, and carry defibrillators as standard, so it seems sensible to utilise them until emergency services arrive. I know some clubs also know where medically trained fans (doctors etc) are seated in the stadium. my BIL who's a GP was asked to have a designated seat at Boro home games so they knew where to find him quickly in an emergency.

10. Bigmackem

Bigmackem Well-Known Member

Still think win your home games draw your away gets you promoted or very very close to it , latest measurements show Wigan 2 points ahead of target , SAFC 1 point ahead of target , Rotherham level to target , Wycombe 1 point behind target , Plymouth 5 behind target , Sheffield Weds 7 behind target , MK Dons and Pompey 8 behind target , Oxford 9 behind target . These calculations don’t change quickly very much but the best four now have a small gap so we have to maintain our impetus and stay at the head of the pack .

11. young2077

Everything you have said makes perfect sense with club staff and defibrillators. Also knowing where medically trained fans sit is also a good idea that never thought about.

Makemstine Roger and Young Ted like this.
  12. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

The other good news is Wigan and Rotherham Cup success the other night means their games are mounting up and we all know what happens when you have games in hand

13. Smug in Boots

Spot on mate.

Games in hand are great if the gap isn't too big and you have a settled side.

When you mix in cup games you have to keep changing the side then a few injuries disrupt training and selections.

If you're not careful you end up with starting elevens who haven't had the chance to train as a unit and things fall apart.

We can put massive pressure on the GIH brigade with a win at Wycombe ...

... not being daft but the following games are some we should be expecting 3 points from, Lincoln, Doncaster, etc.

Blond Bombshell and Young Ted like this.
  14. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

If we keep on winning we will go ip. I reckon an average of two points a game from now until the end of the season would be enough.

Makemstine Roger and TopCat_ like this.
  15. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

As long as we keep to 2 PPG then we will go up. I'm not worried about any other team in this division. we are in charge of our own destiny

smithy in nl and MrRAWhite like this.
  16. Sunderpitt

Do we or do we not want Wigan to lose a lot....

17. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I don’t know where you get it’s in our own hands?

18. Smug in Boots

Does the fact we play Wigan, Rotherham and Plymouth make a difference, I don't know tbh.

19. Porterfield73

Porterfield73 Well-Known Member

Lose all their L1 games and go all the way in the cup games would be nice.

Sunderpitt and rooch 3 like this.
  20. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Not really if we beat Rotherham they still have 2 games in hand and if we beat Wigan they have 25 games in hand <laugh> I know they have to win them but it’s not in our hands.

Smug in Boots likes this.