1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rival watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lovearsenalcock, Jan 2, 2012.

1. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Just don't forget to turn up next season,Spurs.We might achieve something this time!

2. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

No more Sarri ball at Chelsea, he's off to Juve....

Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing for them or us?

Just more of the same, I guess?

3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Jumps ship once Hazard leaves and can’t be replaced.

Smart, very smart.

4. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Who on earth would take over there with an ageing and below-par squad that can't be improved at all for the next 2 seasons? My money's on Fat Frank with Terry as his assistant, if only to test the limits of how much hatred I can feel for a football club. Can't see who else would want to drink from Roman's poisoned chalice.

5. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

TBH I think Sarri has wanted to leave for months mate. He was treated like **** there and vilified throughout the entire season. As soon as the Juve job opened up his head was turned and now he leaves with it held high after delivering CL football and winning his first major trophy. He generally seemed a decent, honest bloke who deserved better than their inbred bunch of racist fans and power hungry players. I wish him all the best.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  6. "Thanks for that Brian"

Allegri's wisely decided to take a year off, leaving him free to take over, when they are looking to appoint the one after next...

Is Sarri the first one not to be sacked?

7. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Benitez & Huddink organised their departures before they joined them.

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Unsure but he leaves with his head held high. Just shows you the state of modern Chelsea fans that they’re happy he’s gone. Gets them back into the top three, reaches two finals and wins one of them all while being booed through periods of the season even with chants at times of “**** Sarri ball” being heard.

9. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Apparently, during Hazard's presentation at the Bernabeu yesterday, the Madrid fans were chanting "We want Mbappe!" toward Florentino Perez <doh>

I know they're a hugely successful club, but I couldn't stand being part of a club with so many fans who are that spoiled and entitled.

10. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Agree. If they had their way it wouldn't be sport anymore, it would be dominance. Where's the joy in winning stuff, if you just buy it.

11. BrunelGooner

Madrid fans whine and hiss at their players all the time. Do they even enjoy watching their team play, let alone winning?

12. "Thanks for that Brian"

It seems that winning is all.

I went to the 1-1 draw in Madrid a couple of years ago. With 10 minutes left and the game in the balance, their 'support' had upped and left. About half the stadium had gone, well before the final whistle. They were pretty bloody silent throughout, too.

They were full of themselves before the game but the next day, when we'd narrowly missed beating them, we were invisible. It all seemed soulless to me. The area behind one goal with everyone dressed in white wasn't me either.

Alfie Conn and BrunelGooner like this.
  13. BrunelGooner

This is why I've enjoyed Atletico Madrid upsetting the apple cart of the Barcelona-Real Madrid duopoly over the past few years. Both clubs with whiny, entitled fanbases who throw their toys out the pram when they don't win everything. Completely missing the point of competitive sport. They've had their own way for far too long. Though Simeone's style of play isn't pretty to watch, it has been very effective. And although I wish they had won a few more trophies (were mightily unlucky in both CL finals vs Real Madrid), they've managed to get under the skin of the other two crybabies. So even if Real or Barca do win the league, Atletico at least make it bloody hard for them.

Unfortunately, with Griezmann going to Barcelona, Godin leaving for Inter Milan, Costa losing his goalscoring touch, players like Lemar and Gelson Martins not having the desired effect and an ageing squad, I think their 'golden period' has come to an end. In stark contrast, Real have bought Militao, Mendy, Hazard and Jovic, whilst looking to add even more players. Shame really.

14. "Thanks for that Brian"

I like to think of Spurs as an English Atletico. Both are punching beyond their current wealth and trying to recapture past glories with enigmatic Argentine coaches, both have moved to new stadia and both are probably at the end of what the current squad can produce. It's time to rebuild and go again, for both.

They've made some spectacular signings over the years, especially strikers. They're pretty much Spain's official 3rd team and would have to work quite hard to lose CL football. In a really good season they can win the league again. I hope they do...and soon. Other than their win in 2014, it's been 15 years since anyone outside the whiners did.

I'm glad you lot didn't get Simeone. He'd be the ideal manager for your lot or Chelsea.

15. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Simeone would be great. Thing is though im not sure i want a continuation of win at all costs and dour football.

Simeones a great man manager and his players would run through brick walls (what mourinho was til hes turned moody and now alienates his players). If i had the choice i think i would prefer a manager to try do it with a more attacking style of football

16. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wenger?

17. BobbyD

BobbyD President

He hasnt played progressive football in years. Hes worse than sarri for going forward

18. "Thanks for that Brian"

Probably best to give next season a skip then. Most of your forwards are showing signs of ageing and the youngsters are pretty untested beyond the odd game here and there or in different leagues.

Next season will probably be built on traditional dull football...that or the manager gets a free hit, no matter where you finish?

19. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Qualifying for the 2020-21 CL is the best they can hope for from their new manager.

20. BrunelGooner

I don't think we'd have ever been able to take him. Allegedly, he's said he would only take charge of clubs who he used to play for. Hence why Inter Milan could be his next destination in the future.
    Even if it was a possibility though, my one real gripe with Simeone is his style of play. I have no doubt we would become a dogged, resolute side with him, but I don't know if he is capable of playing attractive football.

Baring in mind he has bought a lot of attacking players over the last 4 or 5 years and he hasn't been able to maximise their potential. Mandzukic, Torres, Cerci, Lemar, Gelson Martins, Baptistao, Jackson Martinez, Kalinic, Vietto, Carrasco, Gameiro, Vitolo, re-signing Diego Costa, question marks over Morata...
    His track record in this sense hasn't been spectacular.

He's still adopted the same backs-against-the-wall, efficient counter-attacking philosophy that he had when Atletico didn't have as much money to spend like they do now.

I can't speak on behalf of every single Arsenal fan, but for me, I want to be entertained watching my team play. Especially as we pay amongst the highest ticket prices in Europe. His defensive resolve would be welcome. However, I don't know if I could stomach watching dull football every single week for multiple years. That's not the direction I want us to go in.