1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rival Watch / Other Teams

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, Dec 27, 2012.

1. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Mo Salah is taking the piss this Season.

36 goals already in 40 apps<yikes>

2. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Two of the best players in the PL right now are Chelsea rejects. But Salah is having a dream start in the PL, hope he stays and doesn't make the mistake of going to Barca/Real next season. Interesting to see Klopp's vision take shape and wish he was with us. Would have been great to go back to old school exciting Wenger of yesteryear kind of football.

winifred122 likes this.
  3. TheBear

Klopps a weird one.

His teams are fun to watch, high paced and aggressive but he's tactically a bit naive. I dont think he'll ever win the league with Liverpool.

PINKIE and Diego like this.
  4. lazarus20000

I'm sure they were saying the same thing when he was managing Dortmund. If anything, it's easier to win it here because we don't have one dominant team like Bayern in the league. City is doing well at the moment and only time will tell if they can keep it up. We also have to remember that Klopp inherited some right crap, so needs time to create his own team, which he's getting closer to. Pep and Conte were fortunate to inherit such great players, but more importantly balanced teams. Liverpool was unbalanced and awful.

I think he can win the league but needs to reduce their defensive lapses. Also i hope he does win the league as he does all the right things.

I also think he is a better manager than Wenger ever was at any point of his career. If Wenger inherited the sh1t pile that Klopp inherited during the toughest era of the PL, he wouldn't get into the top 4. He does everything Wenger does but with better man management skills. I would go on to say that Wenger would get sacked after a season or two if he took over from the same Liverpool Klopp got.

5. TheBear

Hmm I dont agree with that at all.

Klopp is over-rated. Even though I enjoy watching his sides. When Klopp won the league at Dortmund Luis Van Gaal was Bayern Manager. He isn't top class either as we saw at United.

When a genuinely elite manage (Pep) came to Germany it wasn't even competitive.
    2013/14 Bayern finished 26 points head of Dortmund.
    2014/15 Bayern finished 33 points ahead of Dortmund.

It wasn't even close.

I genuinely dont think Klopp is on the same level as Conte, Mourinho,Anchelotti, Allegri and Guardiola.

6. lazarus20000

How is he not on their level when he's at the top of the table and beaten most of them head to head. The only guy that is shown to be overrated and out of his depth is Wenger. It's been like that since Mourinho first came to the PL. Ironically it's what is happening to Mourinho now facing better managers and unable to adapt to the changing face of football. All he does is complain about everything not going his way, similar to what Wengers been doing for some time as well.

Also you try and make those same guys you mention managers of Dortmund and have them compete with Bayern who have infinitely more resources than them. All of those guys have been in charge of much larger teams with much bigger budgets and competitive on a similar playing field. Klopp has done tremendously well to develop relatively unknown players into world beaters. If of course he's lucky to keep them and not have Bayern poach them.

Oh and even a monkey could win the league for Bayern. That really isn't much of an achievement when you're so much more bigger and richer than everyone else. The disparity is huge between them and the rest in the German league.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  7. TheBear

Dortmund are a huge club also.

Its true that Bayern are the biggest Club in Germany but Dortmund have an 80,000 capacity stadium, a huge fan base and are regular in the Champions League. They are a massive Club and its not like they have never won trophies before Klopp.

Also the German league is WAY more competitive than you are making out. Bayern are basically in the position United used to be in England. (back when Arsenal came along and knocked them off their perch)

8. lazarus20000

No doubt it's competitive in Germany, but nowhere near as competitive as the PL. The PL is far more competitive than any other league in Europe. We may not play the best football (but we're catching up), but if you look at the Forbes' list of the most valuable football clubs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs, we have 6 in the top 10 and have been well represented in Europe this year. In the latest 2017 list, Bayern is 4th valued at £2,713m compared to Dortmund at 12th with a value of £808. Bayern also more than doubles their revenue with no other German team insight of both. Klopp built them up to the position they are in now wining back-to-back leagues back in 2010-2012, the disparity between the two was even bigger then with Bayern at 5th (£990m) and Dortmund 18th (£261m). They had an even larger gap in revenue, with Bayern almost tripling Dortmunds.

As for the Arsenal comparison, when Wenger took over the disparity between Manure and us wasn't that big, we had a very good team and a big fanbase/revenue stream. Wenger inherited some of the best English players in the league that made up a lot of the England team at the time. What Wenger did was impressive but it was far from impossible, no where near what Klopp achieved with Dortmund. We still see what he's done with two of his ex-players in our squad.

Klopp could have done what Wenger did in the PL but Wenger couldn't do what Klopp did in Germany.

9. TheBear

That's not true though.Your just making my point.

In 1997-2003 there were no Abramovic/Mansour's, the TV money was also FAR less. If you wanna talk about the disparity in Germany. In 1997-98 When Wenger first won the league. United were the Richest Club in the World.

Their income that year was £89.9m. (Deloitte) - the highest in Europe. Arsenal were the 14th highest grossing Club in Europe bringing in £40.2m. So yes the disparity was just as big.(compared to Germany)

So I would say what Wenger did in England was far more impressive. Not only were United the biggest Club in World football they were also being managed by arguably one the the all time greatest managers.

Wengers early achievements shouldn't be overlooked because of his later years.

Wengers sides pre 2005 had a 63% win rate. Compared to Klopps 56% at Dortmund (which is the same as Wenger 2005-2018) - FYI. Klopp at Liverpool has a 52% win rate which is nowhere near what a TOP manager should be achieving. (Pep is at 69%)

Anyways I like the guy. And I like that aggressive attacking style but I just dont see him an an elite manager.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  10. TheBear

Being linked to Shaw at the moment.

Mourinho is a winner but he rarely gives any young player a fair crack of the whip.

With soo many good young players at United at the moment you have to wonder if Shaw, Martial, Rashford, Darmian etc.. would do better elsewhere?

Depay for example moved to France and is having a great Season at Lyon.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Would take Martial and Rashford in a heartbeat. Not so sure about Luke Shaw though.

12. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

<laugh> I love it when people believe what they read.
    Martial is being given so few chances he is our fourth highest scorer, Rashford has played in more games than any other player since Jose took over.
    Darmian is a good full back but is not getting past Valencia at the moment because he is poor going forward. Shaw needs to understand that he is supposed to be a professional athlete and grow up fast, he is not a kid any more and although I sympathise with the terrible injury he had it was over 3 years ago so is no longer an excuse. If the man doesn't have the will power to get fit and the mental fortitude to get past the injury he will never be much use, it's all in his hands.

Most Appearances this season

Lukaku 44
    Martial 42
    Rashford 39
    Lingard 39

Yep, the young players get no chance with Jose <laugh>

Oh, and another young man who has just this season made his mark, McTominy, has played in 18 games the lad has a future with us <ok>

13. TheBear

Fourth highest scorer - that's an achievement.<laugh>

How many games do you think either Martial or Rashford have played up top this Season? I think both of those guys are CF's and should be playing as such. Its not going to work out for at least one of those guys and they both have top class potential.

14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Neither of them is a CF, they are both better wide left (which is why they share the role).
    Fourth highest scorer is not bad for a player who supposedly doesn't play enough :emoticon-0100-smile

15. goonerred

goonerred Member

Ha, ha, Chelsea one Totts nil. Best case scenario, we win the Ropey League and Totts come 5th.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  16. goonerred

goonerred Member

Stupid Chelsea

17. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

<laugh>

18. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

He joined not606 yesterday, and gave a 14
    minute summary of himself as a poster.

A perfect recruit for this particular board methinks. :)

PINKIE likes this.
  19. goonerred

goonerred Member

OK wise guy what have I done/said/posted that you don't like?

20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

You'll get used to these bitchy spuds mate. :)

goonerred likes this.