1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Right to die

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Commachio, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Bit off a controversial, maybe morbid thread, but what is your view on this now?

Should people (especially those in constant pain) have that right to decide?

2. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

3. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Why should anyone other than the person in question have the right to decide?

It's like this gay marriage bullshit over here. How can people with nothing vested in the legislation decide which was it goes. If it doesn't effect people, people should just let it be.

4. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

2 valid points

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

I'm a firm believer of this.

Of course there would have to be strong checks in place that the person wasn't being forced into anything and that they were mentally sound enough to be making the decision for the right reasons. Other than that though there's no real reason why it shouldn't be the case.

commachio likes this.
  6. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Its tricky.

7. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

If somebody has a terminal illness or a degenerative disease and are mentally capable of making the decision, then why should anybody be able to tell them otherwise.

Knowing what I know now, I'm pretty sure assisted suicide happens all the time and doctors/carers/nurses turn a blind eye to it. It's just the elephant in the room, that's all.

Disco down under and Libby like this.
  8. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Its such a grey area.

I agree though.

9. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Yes!!!

I sat for days watching my old man die and i wouldn't wish that on anyone. He had Dementia so wasn't really in a sound state of mind, but i knew may old man very well and given the circumstances, he would have said 'just put me out of my misery' He had no quality of life, was never ever going to recover, there is no cure and he was always on a one way ticket.

Basically, the care home called in the paramedics as his breathing became very shallow and they decided he was better off in hospital. Wrong!!! so very wrong. He was passed from pillow to post in hospital and over the course of 3 days he was in 5 different beds and 3 different wards. What a ****ing shambles!!! and don't get me wrong, i'm not blaming the medics or nursing staff, they did everything they could to make him comfortable, but there were other priorities and beds were needed for more urgent cases. Basically he suffocated to death after 3 days of his lungs filling with fluid to the point where there was no room left in his lungs for air.His heart gave in eventually and he slipped away.

Given the choice, i'm sure he would have opted for a less distressful end to his life, i certainly would.

commachio and Billy Death like this.
  10. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

Those who want it should be allowed it.

Those with religious principles don't have to do it, but that's not to say that they should force their beliefs on anybody else.
    In the same way that it should never be made compulsory.

There would, though, need to be some stringent safeguards in place.

11. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

is there room in that conjecture for the Lesbos legacy, <laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh> if there is i will agree, euthanasia is the best option for that ****

12. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

If there was a public vote on it then it would be legalised tomorrow - polls done in the last decade have 75-80% public support.

There is a legal framework around it which very stringently covers when medical professionals are allowed to withdraw care or give medical care which realistically will shorten life. The fall-out from the palliative care arrangements which were legitimately used in the NHS (the Liverpool Care Pathway) being badly explained in the public domain show how sensitive a topic this can be even when the aim isn't to actually end life. Making allowances for situations like Diane Pretty wouldn't be very controversial with most of the country and the fact that at the moment it classifies as murder is fairly archaic. The law will change in the next 20 years, it's just a question of when.

13. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Well lets face facts. If it's owt like Brexit they'll piss about with it for years.

haslam likes this.
  14. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

I would happily supply Larry and most of the 1st eleven with a bottle of voddy and a bucket load o pills.
    Put the feckers out of their collective misery!!

Bart

haslam likes this.
  15. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

You suggesting this thread be merged with the matchday thread? This has taken a dark turn...

16. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I would just put placebo's in McGeady's bottle<laugh>

17. Paperback Ruiter

Paperback Ruiter Well-Known Member

Yes. It's my life and when I'm done I'll go out on my terms. So much of our law and general morality are built upon Christian principles by God fearing earth flatters from another time. In reality we know religion is bullshit so clinging too and still judging by their morales is retarded.

Billy Death likes this.
  18. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I actually don't even see what the argument is if it was our lass and she was in that much pain and she asked me to do it i would just do it for her couldn't give a **** what the law is.

haslam likes this.
  19. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

So his reward for playing well is that you aren't going to let him kill himself?

Bloody saints you guys.

20. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Honestly think most people would - "I'll worry about the law later". Pretty terrible that the surviving person has to face a murder charge though.