1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Right place, right time?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

OK guys - no midweek game and boring time on here until the weekend comes around again - let's see who's out there. :emoticon-0105-wink:

Luck/opportunity, call it what you will comes along now and again. It's not about taking advantage of anybody, it's just the way things pan out.

Back in the mid 80's I was doing OK as a contracting spark travelling around for the work. Although away from home a lot, I happened to be in Bridgend one weekend when I met my accountant by chance in the town. Amongst other things he mentioned that a mutual acquaintance whose small business he also accounted for had had enough and wanted to get out. He had a small business premises on the market and was asking £40K for it (a lot of money at the time).

He told me the guy wanted to draw a line under things and pack it in. As my accountant, he was aware I had some capital available and suggested I made him an offer that would suit both me and him. Although I didn't want the premises for myself, I had a look and offered £34K for a quick cash deal which he accepted. I spent a few weeks and a couple of grand putting someone in to demolish and clear the site. Another grand went on a local architect to bang in a planning application for two pairs of semis and got it approved. I decided to sit on it and headed back to Hull where I was contracted at the time and put it on the back burner for the future.

Not much more than a year or so later I got a phone call from my accountant asking me how much I thought the land might be worth. He said there were a number of development companies from up country (London in the main) sniffing around locally for small parcels of land with planning consent. He suggested I asked a local agent we both knew to tout it around.

I had another phone call barely days later from the agent which blew me away. He had someone willing to pay £110,000 for it but told me not to accept. <yikes> He came back the next day and said he'd got them up to £120,000 and told me to take it - you know I always do as I'm told.....<laugh>

I used the proceeds to come home later and set up locally rather than chasing the dollar wherever it happened to be at the time. Sold out myself now about 5 years back but often wonder what if that chance meeting with my accountant in the mid 80's hadn't happened - right place, right time?

Other than winning the lottery, anyone else had that little bit of luck (good fortune) that resulted in a difference in your life?

2. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

there`s no such thing as coincidence sparkey dude it was meant 2 happen and you got the luck the universe chucked your way, anyway before I vomit enough of you <laugh>, ive had nowt luck and was even told I wasn't a planned birth.......anyways unlucky for my parents I brought my bad luck with me and spread it through my family quicker than the zika virus in south america thrown out of health authority van sponsored by rockerfeller himself.

anyways sparkey are ew looking for a muture ish apprentice......im available and waiting <laugh>

3. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

Not sure about right place, right time. I think people make their own luck, whatever they choose to do. I am lucky enough to live somewhere where I can travel and see things I only read about in school.I'll never be a millionaire, but I don't want the fancy things in life any more. I'm more than happy with my backpack and few belongings living day to day. here will be a time when I can't travel, but I hope that's a long way off.

4. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I've packed it in aber - you'll have to try Alan Sugar........<laugh>

I realise I was lucky pal, but as Gary Player once said - "funny thing is the more I practice the luckier I get".....:emoticon-0105-wink:

5. aberdude

being born white in south Africa when he did was indeed lucky sparkey very very lucky .......but having said that he did have a talent for the stick hitting ball in hole game.

as for alan sugar>>>>>>>>>>I think im over qualified even with zero education for that show tbh <wink>

maybe I could send out some begging letters 2 dai on the Swansea board

6. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

Quiet times, for sure, Sparkey.... but I check in daily if I can. Not on the scale of your good luck but I have had a number of occasions to be knocking about various offices as and when a job has come up. And some of the contacts have developed into business for me which has been both profitable and fun. Also fell in love in Russia that was certainly right place, right time.... so not complaining.
    On the pools front, our numbers came up twice...... on the first one we netted 1540 between us (5) for something like 24 first divis and countless others. The second time, we got 610 each for a single third divi. Not bad for a quid between us.

7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Never won a sausage on the pools for bloody years sausageman........<laugh>

I did however once have 5 numbers up on the lottery about 10 years ago. Got just over £2800 that I had to go to the main Bridgend Post Office to collect. Hardly life changing maybe but nice to get a bit of a lump back from them instead of the occasional tenner (as it was then) for 3 numbers up.

8. aberdude

I feel like punching you in the face sparkey you jammy bast ardo...........which leads me 2 ask which jack sold you his crystal ball.

ffb jammy bast ardo.....I like Russian 2 but ended up with a valley girl.....my lucks fkd more than I thought.

9. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

Arnold Palmer - The more I practice the luckier I get..........

I'd say your hard work in getting your business and cash reserves in the position resulted in your 'luck'. Trebling your money in a year is a great bit of business <ok>

EDIT* I just read the posts past the first one and saw you'd said the same <laugh>

I agree!! <laugh>

and

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/07/14/luck/

It seems we're both wrong about the quote, although when I saw you'd attributed it to Player I thought you were right......

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  10. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Doesn't always work out aber. Not so much informed decision making, but especially things you have no control over.

No game for us last night so with Newport winning 4-0 away on the weekend, I stuck 20 quid @ 11/10 on them winning at home last night as a banker. <doh>

11. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I always though it was Player Stevo - I bow to the web.........<laugh>

The problem with the "lucky" tag is that it's often attributed to people who try things which don't come off but then eventually get it right - the "failures" are forgotten.

Like someone who tries 10 things initially on instinct - 9 fail and one comes off. Eventually with experience gained it turns around to one failure and 9 coming off - that's not luck. <ok>

Mind you, I was a lucky bastard with that land deal............<laugh>

Stevoldinho likes this.
  12. aberdude

you were a lucky bastard from that land deal..........a luck luck lucky bastard

Stevoldinho likes this.
  13. aberdude

14. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Good for you Sparks, I'm always happy for people to get good luck.

The biggest win I've ever had was £780 from the halve & halve tickets down the city. Paid for my season ticket for the next two years.

30 years ago I won £100 in the 1p raffle in our local boozer I was a member of the skittle team and it was the thing to put £10 on the table for all the team to have a drink. When I got home I gave my son & daughter £20 each and £30 to my wife that Left me £20 for myself.

The wife spent hers in Tonypandy market and when she came home she said there was a blue women's suite there she liked but was £25 short to buy it so being the fool I am I gave her the £25 to buy it. I must be the only man who won £100 and it ended up costing £105.

As the say life's a bitch and then you die.

<doh>

Oldsparkey likes this.
  15. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

In our house, it's "life's a bitch and then you marry one". (or as my current wife likes to say... "two, in your case"!!!)

16. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Dai and Furter - I can top that guys.

First met my wife at a Saturday night dance upstairs in the York Tavern in Bridgend - anyone remember that? Dunno whether that was good luck or bad............<laugh>

Anway, arranged a date for one day the following week but honestly completely forgot about it and went training that night with my local football team.

I got a message (we didn't have phones in those days) from a mate who went out with her pal the same night. When he told me she thought I'd stood her up I felt so guilty I went around to where she worked on the Bridgend Trading Estate as it was known then.

After half an hour of grovelling she forgave me and we arranged another date - I've been paying for that ever since - a case of wrong place, wrong time?......<laugh>

17. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

Blimey - was beer really 80p a pint 30 years ago? I can't remember :emoticon-0112-wonde

18. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

8 in the team plus 2 reserves can't remember the price of a pint I think £10 might have bought a pint & a chaser each. <cheers>

19. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

80/81, Brains dark was 45p a pint (in the Britannia Hotel - Porth). Suppose by th mid / late 80s it was heading towards 80-90p. Be lucky to get a bag of crisps for that these days.

God.....

..... I'm becoming my dad!!!!

20. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, I could get a pint of Brains Dark for 25p in the late 70s. Either it's the Mandela effect or there was a significant increase in tax on beer around that time.