1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Retrospectively, what are your views on DC?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by South London Spur, Feb 16, 2012.

1. South London Spur

South London Spur New Member

I, like most other spurs fans didnt care too much for the guy when he was with us and was over the moon when we ditched him and brought in Harry. But I must say, looking at our squad now, and also at players who left us like Boateng, Its starting to look like the guy had an eye for a player, isnt it?

BAE, Bale, Modric, Kaboul, Boateng, Berbatov, Walker? are all players that we brought in with DC as DOF. I know there were some failures like Bentley, and some were not his signings? but on the whole I think we need to give him some credit for the squad we have assembled.

Also, baring this in mind, do you think he may also have a similar impact at Liverpool, despite the already notible mistakes?

2. What we don't know is the extent to which Levy helped DC out by pointing him in the right direction to players that we'd like to sign, since Levy seems to have a pretty good eye for a good player, too.

Also, DC has too much of the "scatter-gun" about him, for my liking.

I think he's doing an extremely poor job at Klanfield.

3. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

'throw enough shcit and some will stick'...that is the motto above DC's office door.

4. South London Spur

I think he deserves more credit than that. He has had a major impact on the squad we currently have!

5. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I was very glad to see the back of him, and I still am. Look at the politics that went on while he was here and look at us since he left.

Speaks for itself I think.

6. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

he had no issue splashing the club's money on 'maybes'...money that at the time should have been spent on 'definates'...you know that Carroll would not have come to LFC for such an absurd amount of money if DC never had a hand in it..thats my theory.

he plays the percentage game too much with other people's money if you ask me.

7. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I'd agree with that. Let's not forget he was majorly responsible for getting rid of Jol, and bringing in Ramos!

8. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Ramos did look like the type of guy we could have done with NSS and Spurf..he was doing well at his former club...but i have decided that anything Spanish is set for failure on our shores regardless.

9. South London Spur

I know what u are all saying, and I was happy to see him go too. But, when I look back I feel he deserves a bit more respect for the players he brought in.

10. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

David bentley, Dos Santos, Darren Bent, Gomes, Gilberto, Rasiak, sanchez, gunter, hutton, pav...thats over 85m spent on players who were patchy (gomes, pav and bent), poor (dos santos), piss poor (gilberto, sanchez, gunter, hutton,rasiak) and feckin awful (bentley)....think I've missed a few out too.

None of us understood why bent was bought when we had berbatov and keane and defoe (with mido as 4th choice) when Jol wanted a densive midfielder.
    16.5m for Bentley??? WTF? Did ANY of us think that was a good idea?
    As for the rest....DOH!

He's doing just fine for pool....downing for 16m hahahahahahahaha....henderson for 20m and Carroll for 35m....keep him the feck away from us.

Rant over!

11. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Right!<ok>

12. <applause>

That's exactly what I remember, too. DC's scatter-gun approach.

Fire a blunderbuss at an elephant, and you're bound to hit the fcuker with some shot!

13. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

I'm sure he has some commission deal in his pay....funny that all his signings require ludicrous money, its not about finding the players, its the fees involved. He didn't listen to Jol or Ramos brief either. I use this all the time as an eg. Ramos wanted a left winger, the left side was a massive problem for us a few years ago. He wanted some Spanish lad priced at about 9 mil. Comolli turns up with right-footed David Bentley for 15mil or whatever it was. Glad he's gone. Is it a coincidence Pool are now paying extravagant fees for players! <whistle>

14. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

He had some success but as others have said, he caused trouble, bought a lot of **** and players that we didn't need ignoring areas that we did need players if no one sprung to mind.

Walker had nothing to do with Comolli did he?

remembercolinlee - Taraabt also :D

15. South London Spur

fair enough then. I still think he has an eye for a player. He is responsible for BAE, Bale, Modders, Walker(did we get him before or after DC?)

Those are some of our best players. You think it was pure luck from a scatter gun approach?

16. Yes. He bought many more kak players than good.

Any of us could do that, especially given the sums that he had at his disposal.

17. South London Spur

I doubt it. Some of his buys have turned out to be real real quality. If scouting was that easy we'd all be doing it.

18. perrymanlegend

perrymanlegend Well-Known Member

SLS put it in another perpective- when DC was around did the club benefit as a whole, not really.
    It wasn't till he went and we had stability on the player transfer front that we started to move ahead in performance and league table position.
    He likes the headline of a big money deal.

19. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

He also decided not to go for Ashley Young, Lescott, Diarra and the two Johnsons who were all available for under £10mill.

I'd suggest that he obviously has some foresight into whether a player will make it but it's a bit blurry.

20. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

Many of you are right that he bought a lot of pure rubbish.
    To his credit when he got right , he brought players to the lane
    that we have never in at least two decades seen such quality.
    Those players are our foundation of this present team.
    I used to enjoy his crazy spending, it at least made the transfer
    window exciting.