1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic retired

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by years ago, Jan 8, 2022.

1. years ago

years ago Active Member

I have decided to withdraw from all forecasting for the rest of the season, as the continuing delight some long standing and inspiring member here are continuing to show how much they want,expect ,desire Bristol Rovers to loose each match, and the heavier the better.
    There still are many, and so was I, anti Barton as manager of the club. I still doubt him as along term manager but I do feel that he has proven his worth this season and I want him to continue to prove me wrong.
    Good performance today
    Best wishes rejoin for next season. who ever is manager

2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Years ago sorry you feel that you are unable to continue with the prediction threads, I know that my guesses are made on the form that we are showing at the time NOT because I am anti Rovers, JB or anything else

3. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I'm expecting big things for the rest of the season. Barton's done a great job. We've got a great squad, and I fully expect us to be there or thereabouts at the time that matters. The signs have been there for a while, and you can see the lads playing for the gaffer and the shirt. I've been very impressed. Like a lot of other people I had a lot of concerns about Barton being appointed, but he's won me over and his interviews are a lot better than most. His deputy is also a bright lad, and you can just tell that it's a very positive camp at the moment. I hope he stays around for a while to be honest, because he obviously knows what he's doing and I think the club will be a lot better for him having been there.

GreatWesternGas and old timer like this.
  4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Forgive me if I am wrong here but I think this is a snipe aimed at 1 person due to the lack of a plural in the word used "member" and I believe this 1 person is me due to the "long standing" tag mentioned. No Gashead has been a member here longer than me who has predicted Rovers to lose as much as I have. Also, "heavier the better" and I have predicted a fair few heavy defeats, more than anyone else. If I am right and this is aimed at me then fair enough, I respect your opinion but I am pretty pissed off about some of the wording in it to be honest. Again, if it is not aimed at me then I am sorry. But as I am pretty certain this is a snipe at me, I will defend myself here as I think the snipe is unwarranted and unjustified.

To clear up some of the wordings you've used.... The "continuing delight" and "continuing to show how much they want,expect ,desire Bristol Rovers to loose each match, and the heavier the better" bit. I do not take any "delight" whatsoever in predicting a Rovers defeat like I take no "delight" when Rovers actually do lose. I do not "want" or "desire" Rovers to lose any match. By any score margin. You also stated "expect" Rovers to lose each match. I do not "expect" us to lose each match. I do though "expect" us to lose 'most'. On paper, we lose way more than we win. It is that simple. So it ain't rocket science to understand why I mainly predict a defeat.

The last 2 years, the high majority of games, Rovers cannot defend, cannot keep clean sheets and find it hard to score and even harder to win games. I personally bear all that in mind when predicting the result. I also go by the form of the opposition and I predict as late as possible after finding out the player availability on both sides. A lot of the time, we have had key players missing, which made an impact on my prediction. An inform team with key players available who has scored more and conceded less and are higher up the table than us then I would expect us to lose. After going through that, why would I predict a win or draw of I believe we will lose? I want to win the prediction league, which is the point of playing the game isn't it?

If you want to quit the prediction league, that is fine. I will remove you if that is what you want. No worries. I don't really want to though because you are quitting due to being upset thinking I am just predicting based on who the manager is, which is wrong.

I will leave you with this point to ponder. I don't "want" / "desire" Rovers to lose because of Barton. I "want" / "desire" Rovers to win in spite of Barton.

MassiveAttack and Bluebaldee like this.
  5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Let me just remind everyone, the prediction league is a GAME. Nothing more and nothing less. It is suppose to be a bit of fun for whoever wants to play the game and compete against others to see who can win the most points based by predicting our results. Again, nothing more and nothing less. No hidden agenda's. Just what you think will be the score and time of the first goal. I can only speak for myself and my own predictions have been based on what I actually think will happen and not based on any anti Barton agenda I have or my dislike for the guy, as a manager and as a person. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just completely wrong.

6. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Well-Known Member

Singular or plural? 'as the continuing delight some long standing and inspiring member here are continuing to show how much they want,expect ,desire Bristol Rovers to loose each match, and the heavier the better' Or just poor grammar?

it's just a game! My predictions may wind some up but a City fan would never predict a win for rovers and with the same 'game' on the City board I don't bother to look at other predictions. Anyway, chins up boys and cheer your team on!

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

smhbcfc has :emoticon-0105-wink:

8. years ago

years ago Active Member

Still retired from board although I still read for comments every day.
    I do think that the positivity has returned since i made my comments and I will continue without taking part. until the new season where I do hope for new opponents for the Gas.

9. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

The positivity has returned because we are now playing as a team and our performances are giving Gasheads something to get behind.

You are always more than welcome to return to the board and rejoin the prediction leagues. :emoticon-0148-yes:

10. years ago

years ago Active Member

I like many of you will never forget this day. I have supported team, team owner and manager all of this season, although this does not change my opinion of the mangers behaviour last year, and does not mean he has become an Angel.He has done in managing teams by what he showed could be done in his previous management position.
    I am concerned that the owner is going to have problems from other clubs wanting to employ him. If he stays (which I hope he does),where do we get the new players he knows will not be with us next season as his (or other advisors) will be in a very busy market for both contract players and loanees. Many of the premier and Championship teams who may have younger players they will loan out, will be struck with the protective management that has been given to those loanees.
    Now after the short break,lets all look forward to a good winning season

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

There is talk going around on twitter that Thomas will be joining us permanently. No doubt we will try and recruit both Taylor and Anderson for next season as where we've gone up a level, having these 2 in a higher level will just increase their experience and development and their parent clubs obviously trusts Barton with their development and will now be building up a good reputation in do this, so who knows. Will be an interesting summer but I don't think Barton will have problems signing anyone.