1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Retained List

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by The Gills PegLeg, May 5, 2022.

1. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Due out imminently I believe. Vadaine Oliver has already confirmed on twitter he's leaving. Lead to believe that Tucker will be offered a new deal but is also likely to be going so let's hope for some tidy compensation for him.

brb likes this.
  2. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Still uncertain who the 7 players who are under contract.

3. The Gills PegLeg

Reeves told a few people at the POTY awards that he was going to be here next year so I think the 7 are:

Reeves
    O'Keefe
    Ehmer
    Chapman
    Woods
    Sithole
    Lintott

brb likes this.
  4. gioblues

:emoticon-0138-think
    Reeves
    Woods
    McDonald
    Ehmer
    Tutonda
    Chapman
    O Keffe:emoticon-0138-think

5. The Gills PegLeg

Thought you were uncertain of who the 7 were :biggrin:

6. gioblues

I am not sure but chairman did mention a few

7. The Gills PegLeg

https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/news/2022/may/retained-list-confirmed-202122/

The list is out!

Chapman not being offered a deal is surprising. Sithole not getting another chance also is disappointing. Can't see Tucker sticking around either but he had to be offered an equivalent contract or better so that we could get compensation for him. Wouldn't surprise me if players like Tutonda & Ollie Lee are moved on either.

brb likes this.
  8. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Well that little lot has cheered me up (NOT)
    I cannot understand why Chapman is being released.... I think we'll struggle to get another keeper as good - and probably as cheap !
    I would have preferred to have seen Lloyd retained -- our 'performances' certainly suffered when he wasn't in the team -- perhaps the progress of his injury doesn't make him 'viable.' ... Releasing Thompson is another slightly strange one - maybe Harris doesn't think he gives enough to be in the squad. ....
    .....and I'd have liked to have kept Lintott ( who wasn't really given a fair chance. ) Chapman and Lintott are young players - and would have represented some youth in the squad -- I do hope we don't end up with a load of 'has-beens'.

Whatever squad we end up with - Gills must change their style - we cannot just hoof the bloody ball upfront ( and immediately lose possession. )

brb likes this.
  9. The Gills PegLeg

Chapman told a couple of people on last day of the season that he wanted to move closer to home (born in Rotherham). Ben Thompson I believe was only ever going to stay if we were League One next season plus Millwall were helping with the money side of things so no surprise there.

Also Chapman is 31 so hardly young :biggrin:

alwaysright, brb and gioblues like this.
  10. gioblues

Nearly got the 7 right only Lee for Chapman. Shame as preferred Chapman last season performances

11. brb

brb CR250

I would have kept Chapman and Lloyd, but as has already been said, Chapman is a lot older than I original thought he was and Lloyd it was mentioned somewhere on this board about his long enduring injury - so I have to accept the decisions, sadly.

I think we are going to need a few big boys for L2, so we don't get bullied about?

12. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Pegleg - thanks... I thought Chapman was about 26/27..... but Buffon and Akinfenwa ( wrong side of 40 ), would call Chapman a 'boy.' !
    I note some of the comments re 'geographical' preferences of some of the players.............
    ............ So - it's not really a 'retained' list - but mostly those who Gills can't give away - and a bit like Evans - cannot afford to pay off.
    My concern is that some of the more recent 'vibes' from Harris ( especially since relegation ), has a more pessimistic feel to them - and, I will go so far as to stick my neck out - and say that I can see Harris 'walking' much sooner that we might like - and it wouldn't surprise me if it was before 30th July (2022)...... It will come down to Mr. Scally giving NH a sporting chance with a budget ---------------------- one designed to try to win promotion - rather than financing Paul Scally Ltd !!! - I reckon there's more chance of seeing a new turnstile block at the RE/GRS corner by August (2022).......ps I know the name of a good, cheap builder.

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  13. gioblues

Looks like McKenzie has turned down Gillingham offer and leaving. Not to bothered either way

14. The Gills PegLeg

brb likes this.
  15. brb

brb CR250

Good luck to Oliver and Chapman, both served the Gills well.

16. The Gills PegLeg

In an interview with the club, Harris said he was still open to bringing Danny Lloyd back into the team but as he won't be fit until about November time, the club wouldn't offer him a contract.

brb and alwaysright like this.
  17. brb

brb CR250

I was curious to why Danny Lloyd wouldn't be with us, now my curiosity has been answered.

So this is what I think...

Danny was injured playing for the club that employs him, now although medical care has been forthcoming as the expense of the club (I assume), any respectable employer offers an employee two things, private medical and normally at least 12 months full sick pay, after a qualifying period.

Although employees in other jobs, if injured doing their work, could also be entitled to compensation.

Danny has a timeline for his recovery, I do not feel that timeline is excessive, so come on Mr Chairman, do the decent thing or at the very least the right thing, give the lad a contract, football is ful of risks, this seems minor in comparison.

Plus I think Danny Lloyd is a good player, I'd have no hesitation in his name being one of the first on my teamsheet.

WINDYROG and alwaysright like this.
  18. gioblues

Not a viable option as we will again have a small squad and budget. Cannot give contracts to players injured who may not be fit till end of 2022 and possibly never make a full recovery. Hopefully club will assist with injury if he wants it, possibly he may want to move closer to family aswell.

brb likes this.
  19. The Gills PegLeg

It's a difficult one, we all know that Lloyd is an asset and that in League Two, he could be an absolute handful for teams. On the flip side because of his age and the extent of his injury, we also don't know what he will be like when he does get fit. Will he ever recover? Physios could easily sign him off but it could be that continually gets aggravated, we just don't really know.

I think I agree on the point though that if my employer umm and arred about whether to keep me or let me go, and leave me on tenderhooks for five months, would I be willing to stay loyal to them when they've not shown the loyalty to me? Probably not.

brb likes this.
  20. gioblues

So Chapman moves closer to home. Well just. Didn't see that coming
    Signs for Stevenage. Evans signs him again even though he hardly played him at Gills.