1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Retained List

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by The Gills PegLeg, May 18, 2018.

1. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Retained List announced. The following players have been released:

Lee Martin
    Scott Wagstaff
    Jake Hessenthaler
    Aaron Morris
    Greg Cundle
    Franck Moussa
    Rhys Murphy

All other out of contract players have been offered new deals which includes

Zakuani, Byrne, List, Nugent and most 1st year pros.

Disappointed about Wagstaff but admit his injury record recently probably hasn't helped. Hess always worked hard but only seemed capable playing in a diamond midfield and wasn't very versatile in that respect, his dad's reputation probably didn't help either. Morris I think was always written that he would leave having not played a single minute of football in the last 2 years. Murphy and Moussa never really got a look in but I think there's better available elsewhere and finally to the captain. At times our most creative player but missing 7 games through suspension this season certainly can't have done him any favours.

Best of luck all to those that are leaving us. I expect most offered new deals will stay. Zakuani and Byrne probably the only two with any sort of buying power I would guess at.

gioblues and brb like this.
  2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Martin has had a poor attitude at times - and has been quite lazy -- certainly not Captain material. I too would have liked to have a 'injury-free' Wagstaff.
    The fact that Lovell has thrown out the team captain shows that he is not afraid to swing the axe --now all he needs is for some decent financial support from the Chairman.

3. brb

brb CR250

Interesting one regarding Martin, will discuss that more privately with you lads some time.

As for Wagstaff, I'm disappointed at this news, I felt he was one of the few promising players we had for next season! All about opinions i know but I would have kept him.

Delighted about Zak, and i understand Lovell keeping Byrne.

Hessy time he moved on, I always liked the lad but sometimes I never felt he got a fair break with the fans, and it's as much that reason than any judgemental thoughts on ability. I certainly wish the lad all the best probably more than any other departures.

Now to the guvnor, without a doubt Lovell kept us from playing League Two football next season even though we came close to knocking on the door again March/April. He needs to be able to go out and find some new lads and i'm not talking costing money, we don't have the luxury of £40M in parachute payments unlike other clubs in the League, so aim for mid-table ability and go from there.

I'm not seeing anything until the new lads come in that is going to see Lovell keep his job beyond Christmas, maybe catch some of the bigger teams early before they get setttled into L1 and do a Blackburn.

: Gills