1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Relight My Fire Black Cats v Chairboys 11th Jan 20

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Guywanderer, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

I repeat what I said yesterday being top was a false position for us we are a team firstly looking to maintain our place in the third tier of English football a task we have nearly achieved our second target is to finish above where we finished last season and we are just 10 pts off that target third target mid table and we are around 16 pts off that target if we achieve that target with enough games left then its time to dream of making the playoffs or even promotion until then we are best off keeping our feet on the ground our biggest game of the season is always our next game and its home to Rochdale and an opportunity to put the wheels back on our waggon<cheers>

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Stokenchurch yid and Ron like this.
  2. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

Agree wholeheartedly with that Guy, we also have to remember we are only allowed to spend 60% of our income on wages for players against teams like Sunderland who had 30,000 there to watch little Wycombe, & our average gate about 6,000 there is a world of difference in the money terms.

Stokenchurch yid likes this.
  3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I keep an eye on all of the leagues except the Premiership which fails to interest me much at all. You do yourself a disservice Guywanderer by assuming you are in a false position. How? Why? You played the games and won the points. That isn't false it's what happened. There are plenty of supporters of Div one teams who think they shouldn't be in that league but most of them think it should be higher not lower. One team took a while to get back even to league one so I think they have come down a bit in their thinking although it doesn't take much to set them off again. Two others at least still don't quite get it that results in league one still have to be earned and previous fame doesn't give them anything. They might have to get used to it by season end.

All you have to do is look at the clubs that are currently in league one and you have to wonder what happened to them previously. Clubs with famous histories who struggle for results when you would expect them to be up there. Loads of them. But, they can't all be so feet are needed on the ground. Then you look at one or two others like yourselves and Accrington for example who don't have that background. Don't have the same cash or fan base to achieve it. However, still you manage to compete and you are doing what those others are doing in that you are questioning yourselves. You've already achieved pretty much a normal seasons goal by having enough already to stay in league one. You would take that every season at the start unlike some others who can't just accept they are where they are. Anything else is a bonus but not false.

Ron and Stokenchurch yid like this.
  4. Guywanderer

The way the fixtures panned out December and January were always going to be difficult times if we can get two wins before the end of the month I will be happy and hoping the playoff could be within our reach I think things are looking good for you greeny and I expect to see you back up next season

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Ah but you may not be there if we do manage it Guy...............

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'll be looking for Crewe v Cheltenham Draw and Plymouth win on Saturday. The Table will look very nice then <cheers>

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Amen to that Ron.........

8. Guywanderer

There would be lots of your fellow supporters very disappointed not to be playing us next season as you love us down there <laugh>

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  9. Guywanderer

There are quite a few games involving league one teams today with one that I will be keeping a close eye on Oxford v Ipswich there is also Burton v MK and Lincoln v Bolton in the league and six league one teams involved in FA Cup replays one being Coventry v Bristol Rovers if Cov win we are once again without a game on the 25th also our opponents on Saturday Rochdale travel to Newcastle hopefully going to extra time

10. philhythe

Yes the fixtures could help us a bit

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

If somebody falls over without much of a touch and goes down, gets up again and then falls over a second time once they've lost the ball then the chant goes up "are you Wycombe in disguise". I cannot deny that. However, what the crowd seems to forget is it isn't you we are playing. Now as this chant is heard at least a dozen times a season it should prove that ALL teams use "tactics" to disrupt the flow. But, they still think you are the only ones despite this and if they only stopped to think about it might just catch on to it being a fairly regular tactic in most clubs and especially if winning.

You got your 0 - 0 tonight which was the best result you could hope for. Still second.

Guywanderer likes this.
  12. philhythe

Like all supporters moan like mad when the opposition are winning 1-0 & take the ball to the corner flag, different story when it's you own team.