1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Reflection

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cookie-6262, May 18, 2017.

1. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

Of course I was gutted Tuesday night, we came so close and were probably the better team but that's football and now I have had time to reflect on the positives....

For the first time in years we appear to have stopped the slide and are slowly moving forward again, we were the best team in the division second half of the season, we were playing football we haven't seen for years scoring goals and winning with ease.

For the first time in years we have a summer where we don't have a new manager or need to over haul a whole squad in fact if we do the following 3 things im hopeful we will be up there again next season...

1. Sign Kalas or if not spend on a quality solid centre back.

2. Keep the first team squad and manager, some fringe players like Woodrow, Sigurdsson and Martin may go but keep the squad together no matter what.

3. Let the manager splash out big time on a striker, this probably cost us promotion this year and it was annoying seeing Mounie and Enrich both have great seasons after nearly joining us

Do these 3 things and I believe next year will be exciting as this one!!!

2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Pretty close to my list, Cookie. I agree completely - if we can hold this team together for one more year, supplemented by Steve Mounie (or whoever they identify as a better option), then we'll open next season as favourites. Whilst Wednesday, Reading or Huddersfield, Derby, Norwich, Leeds & Villa will all likely be tough teams next year, I'm not intimidated by Hull/Boro/Sunderland coming down.

We've had a great year and we can be proud of the football we played. Onwards and upwards - I still believe.

2whitestripes likes this.
  3. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Spot on with all of that guys. Cookie's point about not having to re-build the first team squad (for the first time in a number of years) is a paticularly good one. It says something that the core of the team are on decent contracts.

Here's a note of players with contracts ending this summer and those who will return to their parent club from loan -

G/Ks - Joronen and Soutter.
    Defenders - Kalas (loan) Burgess, Grimmer and Sheckleford.
    Midfield - Parker, Petsos (loan), Edun, Smile, Dolan, Cole and Tunnicliffe.
    Strikers - Martin (loan), Piazon (loan), Cyriac (loan), Walker and Adebayo

I guess we should add those returning to us from loan who have potential question marks over their names; Christensen, Woodrow and Stearman. [Jozabed has an 18 month loan deal with Celta Vigo from January so he's out of the equation.]

Suspect it will be 'cheerio' to a fair few of those listed but being hard headed, it 'aint going to cause too much grief.

4. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Joronen renew and Piazon/Kalas sign (price dependent). I'd also like to keep Parker around in some capacity, but it did look like his legs had gone last season. I don't think Cyriac got a fair chance and looked decent when he played, but I suspect we'll keep our money and try and find someone better.

Petsos was a pointless transfer and Martin has burned plenty of bridges. That said, if Martin signed permanently (rather than another loan), then I would not be upset.

5. Trowley_Fulham

Trowley_Fulham New Member

I think buying Piazon would be money well spent. He mentioned earlier on in the season that he's fed up on moving around on loan every season. Reckon that if Slav wants him, we could get him.

6. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

There was an interview I saw with Paizon's dad and he said that Piazon was the happiest he has ever seen his son at a club. He loves it at Fulham.

Got to have a chance with that statement. On Christensen and Woodrow, I'll still like to see them given a chance, I'd be sad to see them two go.

7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Kalas would be my first priority. I'd be very happy to take Piazon, but wouldn't be upset if it didn't happen. I agree with COYW about Christenson and Woodrow (particularly Christensen), but suspect that they will both be on way out. As for Martin, even on a permanent deal he's shown his true character this season and I'd much rather we went for other options. Unless Slav has confidence in Woodrow or any of the up-and-coming young strikers (Humphreys?) I'd like to see us sign a couple of strikers: one to be the main man and one young and hungry one to snap at his heels.

8. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

From Piazon's twitter account on Friday:
    upload_2017-5-22_9-44-11.png

9. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Piazon.
    From what I heard there were Portugese scouts coming to Fulham to look at Piazon, but if Chelsea are letting him go on a free we might be able to get him if he really wants to stay. I can see him playing a Clint Dempsey role ghosting in from deep positions into the area to cause trouble, but at present that's not how we've been using him.
    LVC
    I'd keep him, as he had a good run with Burton and Clough has said he has the midfield skills and credited him with helping to keep them up. For me he could be back up for any injury to Johansen.
    Kalas
    Had a good season with us, and seemed to be the player who Jokanovic preferred as the bedrock of the central defence. Not sure if we will pay the money that will be asked for him (£4m). Central Defenders are sort after players so some Premier team having seen him play well at Fulham & Boro may just take a chance.
    Cyriac
    Strange he didn't really get a chance, as I think Jokanovic has his favourites and may be Cyriac was one of the analysts choices he didn't rate over either Martin or the rest.
    Woodrow
    I think everyone so wanted him to make the grade, but if you compare him to Dembele(MKII) he hasn't stepped up to the mark.. For me he hasn't dominated defenders, he hasn't frightened or bullied them enough.
    The Younger Players
    Edun, Smile, Dolan, Adeniran, Humphrys, Sheckleford, Walker and Adebayo, keep them on, send them on loan to teams that are doing well in the lower divisions.
    Edun & Adeniran both impressed when they made their few 1st team appearances and would hope they feature more.
    George Williams
    Is a player who I'd like to see break into the 1st team squad, I hope we don't sell him.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  10. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Long time no see, gents.

What a season. I'm a bit disappointed about last Tuesday (not the best birthday present I've ever had) but I'm not too cut up about not rejoining the PL circus!

If we can keep the core of this group together, we'll be fine.

COYW

Captain Morgan and Cravingawin like this.

11. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

Bidders, good to hear from you buddy.

Bidley likes this.
  12. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you Bidley and yeah, absolute bummer not to make at least Wembley. That said, and as you imply, the football last season was such a joy to watch so more of the same will not be a bad thing.

Happy belated Birthday Wishes and hope all is well.

Bidley likes this.
  13. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you Bidley, hope everything is going well. I miss you contributions, so hopefully you'll be back here a bit more in time.

We've had a taste of hope this season and we like it. This team has great potential ahead of it, time to put in the hard yards!

Bidley likes this.
  14. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Cheers boys! I definitely plan on being a bit more active. I'm feeling out of the loop and you're a good bunch.

15. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

I still feel at bit of a side liner but, welcome back Bidley.

Bidley likes this.
  16. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Ah! Bidley. It's been a while. Welcome back. Still keepin' on rockin'?

Bidley likes this.
  17. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Bidley! Come back next season. That's all.

Bidley likes this.
  18. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Cheers 2ws :)

Cheers old bean! Still rockin' and, indeed, rollin'!

I'm back now for some close-season japes (I just like the word jape really)!

Captain Morgan and Fulhaman like this.