1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Reason why Quinny left ?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by 1iking, Feb 23, 2012.

1. 1iking

1iking Member

Don't know if this has been said before because I haven't read every post on Quinny (so many and so long)

But I got to thinking about the timing of his announcement to leave. Why after the Arsenal game, why in the middle of a cup run, why not the end of the season. I was wondering if it was because of the crowd size against Arsenal. This has been one of his bug bears, about people watching the game in the pub and was this the final straw. Guess we will have to wait for the rewrite of his autobiography to find out !

2. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

I hope not.

I once had a job where i had to work 6 months notice - it was extraordinarily difficult to keep motivated throughout that period and if somebody had said to me that i could leave earlier, then despite the fact that I wanted to finish what I started I would have done.

I hope that Niall always had in mind to go at the end of the season but was given the chance to go earlier and took it because his mind was already on what he wanted to do next.

3. turn-the-tide

turn-the-tide New Member

I'd be surprised if it was to do with the crowd size against Arsenal, because even he wasn't sitting his seat.

4. Chimera

Chimera Member

Yes your right the timing is very suspicious........why not wait to the end of the season! I thought when he stepped down as chairman and took the overseas development role he reassured the fans by saying that he would still be involved with safc for may years to come....then poooof hes gone very strange!Also much has been made of the job done argument and five year plans.....i think what quinny said was his aim was to get safc into a stable top ten club......no mention of leaving ....all he said was he would know when he was not up to the task and he would not outstay his welcome............we are far from being a persistant top ten club we were just about ten weeks away from from a relegation dogfight with bruce and we have a new manager who is doing so well that he may well get poached.....we are a team that is three or four players away from being mediocre... we have spent all but one of our premiership years avoiding relegation and as for our top ten finish well that was a fluke....so quinny its sad to see you go....... but its not job over..so i can only assume that either your family needs more of you or you have been forced out...............i hope its the first..becauseif its the latter well you know how loyal and unforgiving of betrayal safc supporters can be.......The truth always comes out so watch this space!

5. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

I think the size of the crowd against Arsenal is a more viable reason than the ones above, but I'm hoping that he is being truthful with his reasons..

6. Billy Death

Billy Death Guest

Quinny always struck me as a proud, dignified, passionate man who always wore his heart on his sleeve. Maybe one day he will tell us.

I hope it wasn't because of the fans or a force out.

7. andersonhurleymcnab

No sentiment in business I'm afraid...
    Probably a bit of belt tightening by Ellis Short.
    I don't know what Quinny's salary was, but it would have been substantial...

8. Black Cat Kiwi

Black Cat Kiwi Well-Known Member

Goss from elsewhere states that Quinn had wanted to go soon after Short took over as chairman but due to Bruce struggling at the time with the squad, he agreed to stay on for a bit longer until things settled down. Apparently it's claimed that the Executive knew that if that if Arsenal was beaten in the Cup, he'd make the announcement publicly Monday morning content in the knowledge that he'd achieved what he'd set out to do. <confused>

9. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

After securing the Drumaville takeover then bringing in Ellis Short I cannot believe that someone with his negotiating skills, football contacts etc, would be let go easily, moreso if he was instrumental in securing Bruce's replacement.

Must say I was left very puzzled and a little sad since the leaving plaudits were a little muted.

10. Billy Death

Billy Death Guest

Either way he will leave a big hole to fill.

11. froggy1973

froggy1973 Well-Known Member

This sounds abjout right to me SNQ has always struck me as a man who knows when it's time to hand over, and he didn't want to look like he had left us in the lurch so hence what kiwi said rings true.

12. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

All my opinion.

I think if England had won the world cup bid, I believe he would have stayed on to help regenerate the area, and give him another project to work on in the City.

But as they didnt, the funding disapeared, he has done all he can for the Club (cant expect him to work miracles with the City, espeicially if the govt/polititions cant be arsed with it either) so he left.

13. pauloc1981

pauloc1981 Member

This

14. Lever Malone

Lever Malone Member

He did say that one of the reasons he was leaving to pursue business interests outside of football so maybe these business interests couldn't be held back until the end of the season. However if we do make it to Wembley I am sure he will be there with us. I just don't know if he will have to pay for a ticket or not :laugh:

15. Last Minute Hero

Would you be disappointed if he took a job at Manchester City or Arsenal within 12 months of leaving Sunderland?

16. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I honestly think he'll have a holiday and be at Man City in 6 months time. You have to remember how rich they can make him. He doesn't strike me as the type to be overly concerned by money, but everyone has a price and Citeh ususally find it and pay it. Time will tell but he has done a cracking job for your lot and whatever his reasons for departure I don't think many would hold it against him.

17. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Wonder what these "business interests" are - if he has his own company then can he sponsor the Stadium then call it the Niall Quinn Stadium!!

18. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Maybe he just wants a break away from the game for a while?

19. Jerry the Jinx

Jerry the Jinx Active Member

According to article in Irish Independent it's a broadband company called Q Sat