1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Really not meaning to put a downer on things.....

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Culinary, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't think it's an overly negative thread, mate. You're being a typical Sunderland fan, we're all buzzing because of the transfer window, the potential of the players we've brought in and the semblance of a plan for the first time in God knows how long, but you're waiting for the kick in the groin to come and ruin it, just as its done countless times in the past. God knows, I've been in the same boat, part of me is half expecting to wake up and find Parkinson still in charge.

When you think of stuff that's happened to us, like BSA keeping us up and sending the Mags down and we think we've finally got a manager who can stabilise us and take us forward, only for England to screw up and him leave to take over there, its only natural to be wary. To me, you're just looking at the other side of the coin and helping to temper your optimism, which is fine, it's better to have a bit of realism and be measured in your optimism than be blindly optimistic and disappointed if things don't work out how you want them to.

I hope this hasn't come across as snarky, as it's not meant to, I do genuinely get where you're coming from and I hope this gives you a bit of reassurance. :emoticon-0148-yes:

2. Billy Batts

Billy Batts Well-Known Member

I keep hearing about this Morsy or whatever his name is, if he's so great why did Boro let him go so easily. Am I missing something here.

Robertson and Guy Incognito like this.
  3. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

The other thing to consider is that whilst some of these youngsters may make the odd mistake we've got the january window to strengthen any areas of weakness.

The key for this window imho was to get a solid foundation and then tweak in January

4. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

If the Blackpool game taught us anything, it indicated that we have very good strength in depth, and every right to have a confidence in the squad as a whole.

I fully expect LJ to rotate the squad to avoid burnout and he will rotate the youngsters as well as the OAP's. LJ wanted 2 for every position and he's virtually got it.

Some were expecting us to take time to gel - well, we're top of the league, so that's been put to bed. Naturally, given our recent history, there are some who have reservations after years of failure, but the summer signings were genuine targets, not just signed because they were available, like in previous seasons, but because they suit the style of play and the type of player we want at this club.

There's healthy pressure on all of the squad to perform to the best of their ability or face the consequences and no one should be exempt from that. Bailey Wright would walk in to most teams in the league but can't get a regular place this season. If that's not an indication of the strength of this squad, nothing is.

Teams don't win Championships, squads do and ours has been built for success.

ISOE II, Sunderpitt, Culinary and 6 others like this.
  5. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

We should be there or there abouts at the end of the season.
    We have been during the other three and now I reckon we have a better chance than previously.

Got to just wait and see now and enjoy the ride .

ISOE II, Culinary, Robertson and 2 others like this.
  6. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Alot of Boro fans i know are scratching their heads and very confused in why he was allowed to go after starting every game for them.
    The only thing they can think of is he's had a fallen out with Warnock.
    He's a defensive midfielder apparently. I cant see him being any better than what we have in that department.

Guy Incognito and Robertson like this.
  7. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

Keeping O Brien was also great although what happened there was strange, he needs to play though and Lee needs to make some tough choices over the next 41 games, he did not sign clarke-harris so we hope the strikers do the job, and another goalkeeper added, should get to 87 points.

8. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

And in other news... A man got fired from a calendar factory yesterday…after he took a day off.
    A man walked out on his wife after she told him to stop impersonating a flamingo. He said he had no choice he had to put his foot down..
    Another man finally overcame his addiction to the Hokey cokey. Hes managed to turn himself around and thats what its all about.
    Woman claims her obsession with Phil Collins is finally over. Her response to News reporters was "I used to be really obsessed with him, but take a look at me now"!
    In world news; A man left his job in the Helium factory after he refused to be spoken to from his boss in that tone of voice..
    In the UK, a woman was fired from the bank…a man asked her to check his balance, so she pushed him over....
    And finally in Sports news 5 wheelchair athletes have just been banned from the Paralympics after they tested positive for WD40....

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  9. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

I'm not sure we are going up at all. We haven't been promoted from any league in several years.

I'm just enjoying the optimism while things look optimistic.

For me, there is more than enough worry in the world at the moment to worry about the things that look good.

Oldsandy and Culinary like this.
  10. Culinary

Culinary Well-Known Member

He's about the one targeted and non scattergun bit of recruitment they've done in my opinion. He's a very good spoiler and midfielder at this level. Not dissimilar to Corry Evans. Up to now they've been playing with attacking full backs and Harper and Evans in midfield who don't offer hardly any defensive protection so the centre backs are hopelessly exposed. Morsy will go some way to addressing that and allowing their attacking players more freedom to play.

He's the only player they have in their squad like that though (as the rest is made up of about 1,000 wingers and attacking mids) so they'll have the same problems against any capable teams if he's ever absent - starting with the next three games for which he's suspended.

11. JammySAFC

JammySAFC Well-Known Member

Late to the thread, so apologies if something similar has been said already, but football will always have its ups and down. Enjoying the high while it is here, things are looking positive