1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Really not meaning to put a downer on things.....

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Culinary, Sep 2, 2021.

1. OldNewtown

OldNewtown Well-Known Member

Given the type of signings we have made there is some flexibility as to the make up of the team. We can to an extent rotate players and formations which will help to keep things fresh. I also feel that if we are in with a decent shout of going up reinforcements will be sought in January hopefully that will be good enough to play in the Championship.

I shall just take off those rose tinted spectacles for a while and have a little lie down, that injection of confidence seems to gone to my head.

2. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

My point isn't that there's no good players in the bottom two leagues. Ipswich are making the same mistakes that were happening at our club when we come into the division. Signing the players with reputations from this league and the one below and then throwing them together doesn't give you the best team in the league. It's the same quality as they previously had as the majority of players in this league are much the same in terms of quality with very few of them being unable to progress beyond this standard.

We are taking players who have been brought up with first class coaching, in world class facilities and mixing amongst some of the top players in the world. Players who have already played against very good players in international fixtures and who can come into the league and make an impact straightaway. See Doyle from Man City as a perfect example.

3. Culinary

Culinary Well-Known Member

Is it a negative thread? Did you actually read the post (I don’t blame you if not)?

I’d say there’s enough caveats there to show I’m not negative at all, quite the opposite.

Random lad likes this.
  4. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

We'll set this thread down as slightly overly cautious but only if it's a Thursday :emoticon-0105-wink: :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Culinary likes this.
  5. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Yes of course I read your post. This passage in particular is needlessly negative

Roppa likes this.
  6. Roppa

Roppa Well-Known Member

Of course it’s negative, I mean reading it there’s not a lot to play for except the playoffs, and at this stage of the season that’s a bit downheartening, I read it twice and couldn’t get that smell of gravy out of my nostrils mind.

Random lad likes this.
  7. Culinary

:emoticon-0102-bigsm What the ****?! You’re accusing me of being a Mag for that OP? The one where I heap praise on the club?

8. TonyG

TonyG Well-Known Member

I can see where you are coming from. I like to think that there is a canny but leeway for rotation in this squad now. Gone are the days when someone would go off injured and we’d grimace when looking at the bench I think !

9. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I
    I used to grimace when they came on at the start<laugh>

10. Oldsandy

Oldsandy Well-Known Member

A team composed of good players doesn’t give a guarantee of success. There will be times when the weather makes it impossible to play good football. Lesser teams will be pulling out all the stops to stop us. Some teams will engage ****tery tactics to stop us. There will be injuries. But what a good manager with a large squad of good players does give us is a chance; even more - a good chance. As a pessimist I am quietly optimistic.

ISOE II, ab65, Jarca and 7 others like this.

11. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

This is the third division mate ...

... the only thing that really matters is getting out.

After the last 4 years of total shyte no one can put a downer on what's currently happening.

I'm loudly optimistic and proud of it.

robinoz, Guy Incognito, TonyG and 2 others like this.
  12. 7Mackem78

7Mackem78 Well-Known Member

Get your concerns, but think we have enough cover to rotate and rest most where needed (cup games).

The mental side is for the management team to ensure they stay focused till promotion is achieved. They seem a well motivated bunch, so don't think it will be a problem.

Also, we still have the January window if that does start to be a concern, top up up and get us over the line.

Guy Incognito and Culinary like this.
  13. Culinary

I completely know where you're coming from mate but I'll admit to not hating it down here as much as most other people. I love the awaydays far more than I enjoyed them in the Prem and a year of not being able to get to matches (as well as the new regime) has reset the novelty somewhat for me. That's maybe why I can accept us not going up this season, what's more important to me is that we're doing things right which, for the first time in a long time, we clearly are.

14. Smug in Boots

The club has been set up to succeed ....

... anything else is failure.

We've built a great squad for L1, we can easily repeat that for the Championship.

Sorry mate, we're top and I want us to stay that way, if Luton can do it so can we.

15. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

For everything there is a season or whatever it is the bible says.

Inapropriate time to worry for me. If you can't enjoy being top while you are, what's the point in anything.

It's like, last day of the season if we were to go up, to skip celebrating the achievement and to just start dreading getting relegated from the championship.

16. Culinary

It depends what you call success because it is subjective. I think the overhaul they've already overseen and the foundations they've put in place in such a short amount of time is success even if we narrowly miss out on promotion to an Ipswich (or Sheffield Wednesday) whose outlay is unprecedented at this level. Even more so if we do it playing the sort of high energy, attractive and entertaining football we have been to date whilst further developing our prospects.

Those foundations are going to inevitably lead to promotion and good performance in the leagues above even if we don't go up this year.

I personally wouldn't deem that failure and I guess that's kind of what this thread is about. I do fully understand that plenty would and that I'm probably in the minority.

17. Culinary

As I said in the OP, I'm massively enjoying it and think it's great. Expressing that I don't share others' cocksureness that we're going to go up this season is not effecting that enjoyment one iota.

18. Smug in Boots

The club are clearly aiming for promotion and, tbh, if we can't be in the top three, in this division, it'll be a disaster not just a failure.

We've brought in players way better than this division and we may lose some if we fail to go up.

Sorry mate but promotion is what everyone wants from KLD to the supporters.

If you're so keen on watching 3rd division football, next season, there's nothing stopping you.

To be blunt saying people are 'cocksure' is incorrect and a little insulting, I've not seen people saying that at all ...

... it's the kind of thing I only ever hear from opposition supporters tbh.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    robinoz likes this.
  19. Culinary

I haven’t said I don’t want promotion, if it’s ok by you I’ll carry on following the lads whatever league we’re in.

I’m simply saying that I won’t hammer the club for ‘failing’ if we don’t go up as I consider it a work in progress. I’ve already acknowledged that I’m in the minority and that other opinions are available.

Guy Incognito and The Norton Cat like this.
  20. Smug in Boots

OK mate, I've nothing more to say tbh except ...

Culinary likes this.