1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

'Realistic' hopes for the season

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by alswan, Jun 3, 2011.

1. alswan

alswan Member

What are your realistic hopes for the season and beyond?

To play swashbuckling attacking football and go down fighting making friends/admiresrs along the way?(Blackpool)

Play controlled football hoping to nick a win here and there?(Blackburn)

Develop our style and become hard to beat?(Stoke)

Stay up at any cost?(Wigan)

Simply play as we do and see what happens?

Would becoming a yo-yo club ala WBA be acceptable or even a goal?

For me it's all about the ups and down such as I've experienced over the last 35yrs of following the Swans-but wrapped up in 38 games.

2. Jager

Jager Well-Known Member

To stay up at all costs, we need to mix and match our game to do this, even if it means route one football at times during games, we need probably are going to play like a sousa team in the big games, and try and play football on the others.

3. MK Swans

MK Swans Member

As long as we don't get ****ed over like Derby did the other season!!

No shame getting relegated but as long as we competitive

MK Swansea
    The Only Premier Side in Wales... FACT

4. Scottswan

Scottswan Active Member

Anything above 18th is fine by me!

5. alswan

alswan Member

So where are we realistically going to pick up 40 or so points?
    The Liberty is where we need to be so hard to beat-Wigan/Wolves/Blackburn/Fulham/Sunderland/Norwich/QPR home and away?

6. KizzySwan

KizzySwan Member

The Swans should keep to their philosophy, keep playing the way they have over the last few seasons. It all came together this season, controlled possession with penetration.

We have no reason to change the way we play, I honestly think it's the perfect formula for the PL. We just need a few more quality acquisitions to ensure we can handle the extra pace of the Prem.

7. crcjack

crcjack Member

Ive always thought the next progression would be becomeing a yo-yo club. Id be happy with that personally. Blackpool, even though they didnt stay up were loved by many in the Premiership. They have helped their clubs survival and progression for years to come.

Stick to our our values, take little steps. Weve seen what happens when teams gamble.

Its going to be great, and, as I was 5 when were last in the top flight, Im going to bloody enjoy it. :1980_boogie_down:

8. Nottage Jack

Nottage Jack Member

I can't believe I am going to consider agreeing with Sam allardyce comments here, but he said he wanted to keep the ammers footballing style for homes games but instill more physical play for away games. Is this a route we should take? Unsure at the moment myself? What is the concensus opinion given our away record in a weaker league than the premiership.

9. alswan

alswan Member

Some quality additions,not breaking the bank and the team to continue progressing with it;s style of play is fine with me.
    We've seen over recent years the way the board handle the purse strings but also trust the managers decisions which hopefully means a perfect balance.
    yo-yo would be fine by me as long as the squad keeps strengthening and the team ethic continues

10. ShanghaiSwan

ShanghaiSwan New Member

I think they will finish mid-table. There isn't much between the bottom 12-14 teams and we can definitely compete with them. I think BR's Chelsea experience will really help.

Please have some faith. It seems like the doom and gloom is already starting. If we lose the first match then the numpties will want BR sacked. I know it will be tough, but try being at least a bit optimistic and not so pessimsitic. This is fantastic. Enjoy it. It could be worse - imagine what it's like being a Cardiff supporter now.

11. PremierJack

PremierJack Member

Stick to our guns.
    Its got us this far
    Who says our style of football won't work?
    I have a feeling there are going to be a few crest fallen big name teams this season after they play us

12. jackdan

jackdan Member

With the additions (hopefully) of a commanding centre-back and someone more physical in the middle (obviously we are going to need to add more than this to add to strength and depth) i think we will be fine if we continue the way we play. We attack as freely as Blackpool do but we are more defensively sound. This should be enough to get at least 40 points.

5/1 for the swans to finish in the top 10! Maybe a bit ambitious but must be worth a punt?

13. wal1000

wal1000 New Member

Hello all. This is my first post on not 606

I haven't been posting that much recently on 606 because I've had exams - and unfortunately I was unable to enjoy the big game because I had an exam on the same day - just my luck, but I don't think I would have been able to handle the nerves after Reading got it back to 3-2.

IMO, we will do well to stay up, and that has got to be our no. 1 target. I believe we may be able to get off to a good start catching some teams out early on, and picking up the odd shock result. But I think we will finish near that relegation zone. As long as we finish 17th or better, I will consider it a successful season.

While we should certainly stick to our guns, as the saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" I would like us to be flexible. I've watched in previous seasons as teams like Hull, Burnley and Blackpool have all made great starts, only to slide down the table and finish inside, or in Hull's case just outside the relegation zone. If we get in a rut, where we have 4, 5, 6 games without a win, I would like us to try to adapt our play just to get the win. Confidence is key in the PL and we must try to adapt when we get into a bad patch (which we inevitably are even if it is just because we have a torrid run of fixtures)

I am not particularly optimistic of survival - as those of you who remember me from 606, I am quite a pessimistic guy, but I do believe that there are other teams out there who we can certainly finish above (Wigan, Norwich, Wolves, West Brom).

I will be behind the Swans all the way!

14. Crackerjack

Crackerjack Active Member

Goals : To finish 17th , to add a few great players to the squad , to bank half the money we make each season we are up & last but not least is a continuation of the way we play , win or lose . We've made a superb reputation all over Great Britain for the way we are run & the way we play , lets stay the road

15. FatalException

FatalException New Member

I'd love to stay up but my thoughts are that we should play the way we do now and believe in ourselves. Even if we go down then we'll have been true to our style of football.