1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rank Apologists & "sustainable growth"

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Aug 16, 2017.

1. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

Was not old enough to go in pubs in '84.

2. The Elfsborg Sparrow

................But I made it on the pitch for Swindon!<party>

3. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

You are a pint-sized stirrer Ronnie <laugh>

Are you on hols from work at the moment - haven't seen your distinctive attire around ?

4. The Elfsborg Sparrow

On the contrary, it is you that seems to be on annual leave. I have not seen you scuttle over to Cafe Nero recently.

5. User deleted as requested

Looking at my poll, it looks like Old Reamsy & Co are , as we expected, very much out of touch with normal fans.

(Interesting comment about Reams beneath the poll <laugh>)

IMG_0332.PNG

6. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

has the Twitter not606 voted yet?

7. User deleted as requested

I must have a few ITTV members following me on Twitter - who are the 4% clowns who voted to balance the books

#SeriouslyRed

8. deleted.....

9. User deleted as requested

What an embarrassing article.

Referring to Plymouth as "farmers" ....an urban area with a famous sea port and not a farmer in sight.

I stopped reading after that.

10. deleted.....

He probably thinks that they spend all of their time growing 'Custard' when everybody knows that is milked from Bulls <ok>

11. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I remember Jake Bacon from the same paper writing an article guaranteeing we wouldn't go down from the championship.

Ermmmmm

12. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I can see the logic in trying to stabilise the losses. What I don't understand is we have the richest owner in the club's history being run with a budget equivalent to Walsall or Wimbledon, and the RD fans think another nothing season in L1 will be acceptable if we don't spend too much money.

13. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

According to SR "The Club has stated that top six is the ambition this season".

I presume this is something that Karl Robinson has said? Or is there actually a written statement somewhere on the CAFC website which says this?
    Either way, it's an absolute disgrace.

Ambition? A weasel word that means nothing to our CEO. Three years ago she said that under Duchatelet's ownership we would have "Premier League ambitions". That turned out really well, didn't it.
    And what is this 'top six' rubbish?

Automatic promotion should be Charlton's target this season.

Target. Not "ambition".
    Why won't Karl Robinson step up and say that? Is he afraid that fans will use such a statement of intent to beat him with when things go wrong?
    KR must know he'll be hung out to dry if he fails anyway. Does he think frustrated fans will go easier on him just because he never promised much in the first place?

"Top six is our ambition" just sends a message to the players telling them it doesn't matter too much if they have some bad days at the office and get beaten every now and then.
    "Never mind lads. OK we're not as good as the top teams, but were never really aiming for those two places anyway. Let's just stay in touch with the top six, that is good enough for me and it'll be good enough for the fans."

Sorry Mr Robinson and Ms Meire, staying in touch with the top six is not good enough.

Already we have a Charlton fan whose opinion apparently carries weight with many others saying that everything is OK so far this season because we are within a point of seventh place. Last season we had that kind of talk week in, week out for months.
    We were only one win from the top six. Then we were only two wins from the top six.
    While every passing week saw the league table open out, leaving Charlton adrift in mid table and never higher than eleventh place.

And for anybody who wants to suggest that I have a "sense of entitlement" (blah blah blah) I would say learn the definition of entitlement.
    Nowhere in this post have I said that Charlton deserve anything.
    If we are going to win automatic promotion this season we will have to fight for every point, show 100% commitment to each other in every game, bounce straight back from every defeat and have unbreakable self-belief. Every team that achieves automatic promotion has to earn that prize by showing all of these qualities. Charlton are no exception.

We won't be promoted back to the Championship until we earn it.
    But we certainly won't ever win promotion if we don't believe we are good enough, because unforgivable lack of ambition gives our players excuses for failure before we even try.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  14. User deleted as requested

Seriously Unambitious also makes a bizarre comment about fans "enjoying the development of our squad"

Pope. Gomez. Cousins. Poyet. Lookman etc.

They all "develop" after RD has sold them to other clubs.

DickPlumb and lardiman like this.
  15. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

The results of sustainable growth under Roland Duchatelet and Katrien Meire;

Sustainable growth 1.jpg

Sustainable growth 2.jpg

Speaks for itself.

But the apologists will tell you this is a good thing. A sensible decision to save money.
    They are so obsessed with defending our incompetent CEO that they will justify anything she does.

Never mind that 'Target 20K' is an abject failure; a ridiculous response to a self-inflicted problem.
    Supporters of the regime regard the closure of whole blocks of seats as worthy of praise.

The 'mistakes' which led to those seats being empty and the reality of third tier football are ancient history now.
    All forgiven and forgotten by people who are so enamored by corporate authority and so frightened to raise one word of objection that they have brainwashed themselves into thinking that Duchatelet can do no wrong, and that thousands of their own fellow fans who have loved and supported Charlton all their lives are traitors who want to destroy the Club.

Picking on a bloke who sells a fanzine and a handful of protesters is easier than standing up to a billionaire foreign businessman who has all the resources of a corporate empire at his command, and the power to do whatever he wants regardless of the harm it causes to something that has been the heart of our community for over a hundred years. A man who does not care about what is good for Charlton Athletic, only how he can use it to further his wider interests.

Protesters and activists may well say things that some of us disagree with. But that does not make them responsible for what has happened to our Club since January 2014. Only one man, and his senior management team, are accountable for that.

Just because Duchatelet is so remote and well insulated from our world that he is difficult or even impossible to influence, that does not mean fans should give up and let him have his way.
    So many times I have read how the protests are pointless because RD is not listening.

But opposing something that is wrong should not depend on how much chance you have of winning!
    Just because who or what you oppose is apparently too big or powerful to take notice or care, is that an excuse just to give up and let them win?
    Of course not. That kind of thinking is spineless defeatism - tantamount to cowardice.

If something is wrong, it's wrong.
    Doesn't matter if it is the act of one person or the most powerful corporation or government in the world. And if your conscience tells you to oppose it, then oppose it. No opposition to injustice is ever futile, and it cannot be ended (only temporarily suppressed) by the party which provoked it in the first place.
    If the cause is just the protesters will win eventually, however long it takes.

All you need is the courage to stand up and not be intimidated by the strength of your opponent.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  16. The Elfsborg Sparrow

How the f*** do you enjoy the development of the squad when youngsters are sold after 30 games? Plus the average lifespan of a contract is 6 months.

SeriouslyIrritating is up there when talking poo.

17. The Elfsborg Sparrow

We have it all wrong about their 'leader'.

The reason he does not attend games is because he scouts for us.....behind a laptop. The Welsh Driessen.

18. User deleted as requested

The top photo shows "the Singing Corner"

Another stroke of genius from Meire.

Beware of the virus likes this.
  19. CAFC'sBestInterests

CAFC'sBestInterests Well-Known Member

Because for some self-importance and self interest is more important than what caused the failure captured in those pictures.

20. The Elfsborg Sparrow

They should be thinking of how to fill the seats not section them off.