1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ralph Krueger speaks

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by JaySaint, Jan 2, 2018.

1. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

That’s more or less what I was thinking. The main point though is that neither Kat nor Gao have said anything since the deal went through but left it to Ralph to say basically nothing. The fans need some kind of reassurance that the owners have got things covered, while the team lurches toward the drop zone, and essentially nobody is saying anything.

2. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I'd have to imagine that blaming it all on VVD and then proclaiming that there are no more excuses might ring a little hollow with the players, heh.

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Still wouldn’t put it past the and still makes sense to me.

4. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Two points.
    1) If RK, LR and others are getting involved with the players, is it a case of too many cooks.
    2) The woman behind Ralph, in the photo. Those eyes seem to be saying “You’re dead”. :bandit:

5. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

She's probably fighting the urge to push him over the rail.

ImpSaint and fatletiss like this.
  6. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

I don't get the feeling that Krueger does that much on the football side of things.

His role seems to be more like an ambassador for management both inside and outside of the club. So, really he's just doing his job trying to put a positive spin on things both inside and outside of the club. I suppose the biggest concern is that everyone seems to hate him. So he's not that good at his job. Personally, he doesn't bother me but I think there's a cultural difference.

Anyway, neither Krueger nor the club are suddenly changing their position. They've been steadily lowering expectations for some time now. Go back two years to that Men in Blazers special and you can hear Krueger saying he doesn't expect us to contend every year. They ask him if Southampton can win the title and he gives a very noncommittal "Who knows? Maybe someday..." kind of answer. That's already in marked contrast to pre-Kreuger when Cortese wasn't even talking about winning PL, but rather winning Champions League.

The club goals and some of their methods used to be fairly specific-- 75% of players from the academy, the black box, etc. We haven't heard about any of that stuff in a while. Now it's just "We March On" and "The Southampton Way." What do those terms even mean? It's a lot of nothing.

Lovelocum and Saints FC 76 like this.
  7. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the actual money has changed hands? Or is it in a limbo state where Kat effectively still owns the club despite the "deal being done."

8. ImpSaint

Totally agree but as I have posted I think a lot of the fanbase are as guilty as the club of this belief in the hype. Reminds me of when we were in the Championship (or maybe even L1 still) and some Saints fan was on the Palace forum giving it the big one about how we were going to be winning the CL within a decade with a first team majority of academy players. I think a lot of us bought into that dream wholesale and it has taken each of us different periods of time to wake up. Some still probably haven;t woken up and think we've just had a couple of seasons of bad luck.

No that wasn't me on the Palace site but I have to admit I was fully sold at that point. I suppose we all wanted to believe it so much and then each promotion and league place advance just made it all the much more believable.

9. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Imps, we’ve still got a couple of seasons to do it :)

The problem is not the hype, but that people
    Believe it as you said. It’s just marketing.

Do people rush out and buy the next best thing every time they watch an advert in the television? It’s not much different. Add to this, you get positive people, like me who will beat the drum, it may encourage people to believe the hype. Difference being I keep my expectations in check.

ImpSaint likes this.
  10. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

How can she buy him back out , when it seems she won’t have the money to do it . I am agreeing with you btw .

11. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

It's hardly prime real estate though is it, the land around St Mary's?

I've no idea what Gao is up to or why he has bought us, but I doubt it is to turn St Mary's into a giant Matalan.

12. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Hasn't LFC already done this? Or rather, taken a decent Debenhams and turned into a Primark by nicking all the best gear and leaving the crap for the rest of us?

13. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

True .

14. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

Maybe they're trying to build a complex or a variety of bars/restaurants near or around the ground. I've always liked away grounds that have this type of thing and it would generate more income for the club hopefully.

15. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Probably just replacing the sun-faded plastic seats.

Lovelocum likes this.
  16. ImpSaint

Not so sure it is a cultural difference. Just everyone else seems to want to hear boasts or over ambitious statements. If you get past Ralph's business speak he is the only one that is a realist and I quite like him personally.

17. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

It's his use of business speak and, as you say, a cultural difference. Certainly don't hate him....don't care what he says as long as he does what he is supposed to do. I think people can be unaware of his role....I'm sure he is a busy man doing stuff that we are ignorant of. I hope he is a great Chairman. People seem to be inconsistent in what they want....if he's positive they accuse him of being out of touch and if he is even slightly negative (or realistic) he is accused of being unambitious. I am neutral on him....I hope for Saints sake he is doing well on the unseen stuff.