1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rafa Benitez leaves NUFC

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

According to the "ITK" reporter on NE news today the following was the reason for breakdown:
    1. Rafa wanted his own contract improved significantly - I think this is bullshit as he is already one of the best paid managers in the country. For all he did a good job I doubt very much when he knows hes fighting for funds, he has added to the problem by wanting more money himself. He doesn't seem motivated by money. The length of contract was supposedly a nothing issue for either party with a rolling contract acceptable to both.
    2. Rafa wanted double the transfer budget offered and refused to budge at all. What this guy failed to add was any detail to this. For instance if Ashley offered him 20m I could fully understand Rafa saying he wanted 40m and not budging. Yes if Rafa wanted something like 80m then that is probably unrealistic but I doubt its the case.
    3. Rafa wanted investment in the youth facilities and training ground. They agreed on this but the club wanted the upgrades to take place over a longer period than Rafa did. What like the last time they promised this and it doesn't actually happen?
    4. Rafa sent a very terse email demanding they make a decision as it was his final offer which Ashley saw and decided a decision needed to be taken. He decided the gap between the parties was so wide and Rafa was demanding rather negotiating that he brought the discussions to a close. Don't have a problem with this bit as that is normal when two parties are too far apart.
    They waited till the end to reveal he hadn't seen the email, and this was based on his 'contact' at the club. So his whole report was either built on assumptions or something he had been fed. So just as you won't get the time back reading this post, I won't get the time back having watched some daft **** present all the reasons, only to reveal he couldn't actually back any of it up.

Anyone know how do I get into sports journalism? Just it seems a really ****ing easy job. Make **** up and say a source told you.

2. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Keith Bishop wrote this down the pub with fatso.

Flash likes this.
  3. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

I would be grateful if you would share it.

4. Warmir Pouchov

Which bit?
    • Has SD grown as a result of its association with Newcastle? (I don't think its required, its very very obvious it has)
    • Would the fact that SD grows as a result of NUFC mean it has a higher value to Mike? (not rocket science that one)
    • Is the value of something in business a matter for both the seller and buyer? (as above)
    • Do other owners have companies which benefit from a relationship with their club? (again this isn't required as its very obvious - Man C just for starters)
    • Do Newcastle and football clubs in general not generate a lot of profit? (I don't need to do this one as Groot did it earlier and its long established information. Was it not Tony Fernandes at QPR who declared on appointment he was confident he could make the club profitable? Before swiftly a year later declaring it nearly impossible and very volatile because of 11 humans on the pitch)
    • Was Mike's intention when he bought Newcastle to grow his other business? (Sir John Hall stated this in an interview - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sir-john-hall-sold-newcastle-13187478)
    Have I missed the bit you wanted?

Flash likes this.
  5. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

6. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

T. Clearly not written by a Newcastle fan...no spelling mistakes!

7. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

• Has SD grown as a result of its association with Newcastle? (I don't think its required, its very very obvious it has) Obvious from what ? Advertising is generally assumed to boost sales. He gets advertising on the hoardings for free but then has loaned the club £100 million or so without interest, which more or less cancels each other out. If your point is that all advertising, including that at SJP, has contributed to sales, fine. If you are saying that SD benefits more from the current arrangement than it would if it was simply another advertiser renting space at SJP, then you need to explain your theory.
    • Would the fact that SD grows as a result of NUFC mean it has a higher value to Mike? (not rocket science that one)
    • Is the value of something in business a matter for both the seller and buyer? (as above) As above.
    • Do other owners have companies which benefit from a relationship with their club? (again this isn't required as its very obvious - Man C just for starters) Nothing obvious here, at least to me. Your previous said that the owners of other clubs make hundreds of millions of pounds from their association with the club. MC's owners, so far as I know, lose hundreds of millions from their association with the club. I am not aware of any other club owner enjoying a major profit from owning a club. Perhaps you do. If so, I would be pleased to be informed.
    • Do Newcastle and football clubs in general not generate a lot of profit? (I don't need to do this one as Groot did it earlier and its long established information. Was it not Tony Fernandes at QPR who declared on appointment he was confident he could make the club profitable? Before swiftly a year later declaring it nearly impossible and very volatile because of 11 humans on the pitch) No club that I am aware of runs at any significant long term profit.
    • Was Mike's intention when he bought Newcastle to grow his other business? (Sir John Hall stated this in an interview - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sir-john-hall-sold-newcastle-13187478) No doubt it was one of his motivations.
    Comments above. The parts that I am most interested in are:
    a. That the owners of clubs enjoy large profits as a result of owning clubs;
    b. SD benefits more from owning NUFC (I know that is not strictly accurate but you know what I mean) than it would if it simply rented advertising at roughly the equivalent cost of providing interest free financing.

8. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Ashley attached a notional value of £3m to all the advertising which was the interest in the loan. The real value is over £10m according to most analysts. Based on this, for the past 10 years he has taken £50-80m out of the club I reckon via ‘free ads’.

This is bourne out by looking at how commercial revenue has grown in all other PL clubs... bar ours.

He’s stifled our ability to generate additional income and therefore compete.

9. Warmir Pouchov

The offsetting of interest repayments with advertising is probably for a different discussion so I won't go too deep into that. I don't think he has suggested he is doing that though? Indeed I'm sure he tried a pity me craic early doors saying he'd been ripped by previous owners. Turns out he did no due diligence. You always have to wonder why a man of that standing does no due diligence. Perhaps because he knew the indirect benefit of owning the football club were so great he didn't really give a ****. I'm just speculating with that though.

As Sir John Hall explained he wanted to use us as a vehicle to break into other markets as SD intention is to be the largest global sports retailer. My understanding is that Sports Direct has indeed broken into the South Asia market and other areas. The financial benefits of that are in part down to NUFC. As recently as last year they opened a huge store in Malaysia. They're in there and NUFC has helped - Jak will know better than me but my understanding is we have a decent fanbase in this part of the world.

I doubt its a coincidence we bought two asian players last summer...

Have any of the various brands that MC owners have a stake in grown since their association with Man C? Is there any financial benefit to that? Visible or otherwise. I'd suggest there is. I can hand on heart say I'd never heard of Etihad Airlines in 2006. I bet you'd struggle to find someone who isn't aware of them now.

There is of course a play thing element to this. Just like one has to have the biggest most expensive yacht, they all like to own the most successful football club. However financially there has to something in it for them. MC are a good example as they are currently bypassing rules with the sponsorship deals etc. Its their way of getting money into the club to keep it where they need it for their brands to prosper. Its like advertising on steroids. With Mike we appear to have helped grow his other business, but the club doesn't see any benefit.

10. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

I was sorry to hear this news lads. Obviously we've all got a soft spot for Rafa and certainly we've no axe to grind whatsoever with your club. You're a big club and it's a great shame it's come to this. Sorry fellers<ok>

11. Santaseyebrow

Santaseyebrow Well-Known Member

Mike Ashley sympathisers are pathetic

12. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

That's not very sympathetic is it?

Warmir Pouchov and Santaseyebrow like this.
  13. Santaseyebrow

Santaseyebrow Well-Known Member

No

cronemeister likes this.
  14. Beardsley's Rancid Sack

Beardsley's Rancid Sack Well-Known Member

Still makes me laugh now - the artist also did a hilarious one of Steve Gerrard living Liverpool and Phil Thompson threatens to self immolate.

15. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Just learnt a new word! Thank you! :emoticon-0147-emo:

16. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Which ancient torture method would you reserve for Ashley mate?

17. GeordieHalfbreed

GeordieHalfbreed Well-Known Member

You can rule the Iron Maiden out for a start. He'd need a seven week starvation diet just to fit in the bloody thing...

18. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.