1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Race predictions - how will our boys do?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by true_blue, Nov 24, 2011.

1. true_blue

true_blue Member

McLaren seem to be on the up. It would be a morale booster for the country given last night's CL results if Hamilton and Button finish top 2. Now that Vettel's car is only marginally quicker than the McLarens, I think this is a real possibility.
    Fingers crossed.
    Anyone else with race predictions?

2. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I think Vettel will walk it and finish the season as he started.

3. true_blue

true_blue Member

Hmm, not sure about that Sgt but maybe. He does still have the quickest car and the Red Bull is especially quick in qualifying. But I think Hamilton's and Button's superior race craft will see them finish ahead. Vettel's car advantage has definitely been reduced over the last few races.

4. SgtBhaji

As a Hamilton fan, I would love to see him finish the season with another win... But with Vettel's form and the probability of the RB having an edge at Interlagos, I only see one of the McLaren's winning if RBR have another failure.

I could be wrong though... I usually am.

5. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

What do you mean by our boys?

6. true_blue

true_blue Member

EternalMSC, I think you are looking to be contentious. This is a copy of the British BC 606 board and clearly the vast majority of posters are loyal subjects of Her Majesty like myself. By "our boys", I obviously meant Hamilton, Button, Di Resta etc.

7. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Yes, just as I thought.

8. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

9. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

I agree with you. I'm supporting a japanese bloke, just because i'm british doesn't mean i have to support a british driver.

10. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

Aren't you the racist knucklehead off the old 606? The guy who offends whichever foreign driver happens to win?

11. true_blue

true_blue Member

Kyle, do you know what racist means? Please enlighten me. I am merely a patriot.

12. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

There's patriotism and there's racism. Patriotism is fine, support british drivers all you want, but it's when people slag off a foreign driver, just because he beat a british one, that gets on my nerves.

13. SgtBhaji

In fairness... There's nothing wrong with patriotism. If it's used as a WUM tool, then I can see why people get arsed off, but patriotism does != racism.

14. Pit Lane Charlie

One of the reasons that I have followed Formula 1 is that there are, as such, no national teams, so none of the jingoistic nonsense that comes with soccer, rugby, etc.

Besides, "our boys" suggests a military undercurrent.

The drivers that I will cheer on include boys from Italy, Japan, Finland, Spain, Germany, Australia, Brazil and Ing-ER-lund.

15. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

BLS, I did lol at that picture, more a gnome though, but spot on.

16. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Well-Known Member

Agreed. Plus Poland.

17. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

<laugh>
    I am stunned at some of the confusion over some of these debates, and must admit to finding BrightLamp's fisherman highly amusing. I would also say the fisherman in question has a superb technique!

There is nothing wrong with patriotism in itself.
    Patriotism does not amount to "racism", although of course some people (usually minorities) in most countries, take these things to extremes. By contrast, racism is the deliberate targeting of someone perceived to be of a different race or creed, which does not need to be associated in any way, with supporting one's country; although I repeat, this can be taken to extremes which may be xenophobic or ultimately racist.

I work in several countries and believe I have a reasonable view of various mentalities associated with a nation.
    A patriot is simply a person who 'supports' his or her country. For many, this is a natural product of identifying with the place one's birth; much as an extension of the idea of extended family.

I would never object to hearing a person from a different nation shouting "come on our boys", regardless of the language it was spoken in. This is very different to someone shouting "down with Americans/Germans/Polish/Chinese/Spanish/British/French" etc., which singles out and targets someone
    because of their nationality.

"Come on our boys" is a perfectly healthy message of support; just like cheering for your kid in his first school competition. Oddly enough, most nations (like large, extended families) embrace the idea of showing support for people close to them.

This is not racism!

18. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Montoya was probably the last driver I supported as much as JB and LH. I've got a bit of a soft spot for D.J God but no idea why. Now di Resta is about thats 3 and a half to really cheers for ;)

19. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Bright: you've lost me with "D.J God" but, like you, I also admire Montoya and was unhappy when he eventually turned his back on (what I see as) the disgraceful politicking within F1 at that time. The biggest factor in his decision was not (as is popularly thought) Ron Dennis and his fondness of Raikkonen, but the FIA's 'support' of everything Ferrari - especially Schumacher.

20. true_blue

true_blue Member

Pit lane Charlie, What rubbish! How is then that if McLaren win they play the British national anthem whereas if ferrari win they play the italian one? What's that if it's not nationalistic. The german team Mercedes have two (not very good) german drivers. McLaren have two (very good) British drivers.