1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic R.I.P. Ray Clemence

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Garlic Klopp, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Garlic Klopp

Garlic Klopp Well-Known Member

The first LFC keeper I saw from when we signed him through to him leaving. Great keeper with an equally good defence in front of him

2. LuisDiazgamechanger

<peacedove>RIP
    please log in to view this image

Liverpool FC deeply saddened by Ray Clemence passing
    LFC

Liverpool Football Club is deeply saddened by the passing of Reds legend Ray Clemence, aged 72.

The former goalkeeper, rated by many as the greatest ever to represent Liverpool between the posts, won practically everything – often multiple times – across his 13 years and 665 appearances in the first team.

Signed by Bill Shankly, Clemence was a formidable, usually unbeatable last line of defence as the Reds dominated the 1970s and ultimately became kings of Europe under Bob Paisley.

His haul of trophies tells you everything about the successful era he hugely contributed to. Three European Cups, five league titles, two UEFA Cups, a UEFA Super Cup, an FA Cup and a League Cup.

Plucked from Scunthorpe United for £18,000 during the summer of 1967, Ray’s signing will forever be one of the shrewdest transfer bargains in Liverpool history.

After serving his Anfield apprenticeship in the Central League, and making his senior debut in September 1968, he replaced Tommy Lawrence in goal on a permanent basis during the 1969-70 campaign.

In the 11 seasons that followed, he missed just six league matches.

Unflappable and reassuring in the net, Clemence’s safe hands inspired confidence in those around him and the stopper, sporting a vivid green jersey, became an institution on Merseyside – and quickly amassed the medals to match his talent.

Though life as Liverpool’s goalkeeper in his era could be a lonely existence as his outfield colleagues ruthlessly set about passing opponents into submission, the Englishman’s concentration would never waver, his eye never stray from the ball.

And on those sparse occasions when the Reds backline was breached, Clemence was always there with a crucial save to underline his priceless value to the team.

Equally important components of his game were his sense of anticipation, positional awareness and lightning-quick reactions – evidenced in each of the victorious UEFA Cup campaigns of 1972-73 and 1975-76 as full-length diving saves denied penalties from Borussia Monchengladbach (in the first leg of the final) and Dynamo Dresden (quarter-final) respectively.

Or recall his pivotal stop from Uli Stielike in Rome in 1977, bravely rushing from his line to block, which – with Liverpool locked at 1-1 against Gladbach – proved a turning point on the road to the club’s maiden European Cup.

Clemence errors were rarer than a Reds defeat, clean sheets became commonplace and defensive records were routinely shattered.

Indeed, not content with becoming back-to-back European champions in 1978, he and his defence reached unprecedented heights domestically the next season.

Liverpool conceded a club-record low of 16 goals in 42 league matches to wrap up a third championship triumph in four seasons. The ‘keeper played every game.

Adored by the Kop, supporters who had been privileged to witness his genius at close quarters were equally stunned and disappointed when Ray announced his decision to depart for Tottenham Hotspur ahead of 1981-82.

But, fittingly, he bowed out at the very top, registering a 323rd and final clean sheet for the Reds as they beat Real Madrid 1-0 in Paris to lift Old Big Ears for the third time.

Undoubtedly one of, if not the, best goalkeepers in the world at the height of his powers, Clemence will never be forgotten by the Liverpool faithful.

Only three men have ever played more games for the club; few have lifted more trophies; none can match his total of clean sheets. It’s likely nobody ever will.

A multitude of superlatives spring to mind when considering his Anfield career but it can be summed up in two simple words: goalkeeping excellence.

Clemence went on to play hundreds more games for Spurs across a seven-year spell at White Hart Lane and was awarded an MBE for his services to the sport in 1987.

Having won 61 caps for his country as a player, he later joined the Football Association and England national team set-up as a coach before retiring in 2013.

The thoughts of everybody at the club are with Ray’s family and friends at this sad and difficult time.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    redcgull and wishiwasinliverpool like this.
  3. Zorba

Zorba Well-Known Member

Just seen the sad news,he was a bloody ACE goalie.
    R.I.P.

wishiwasinliverpool and Bumps like this.
  4. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

Amazing keeper. RIP <rose>

5. Dancingbraveforever

Dancingbraveforever Well-Known Member

The benchmark for Liverpool keepers.

6. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

RIP Ray Clemence <rose>

7. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

True star and still the best GK i've seen play for us . Always came over as a nice bloke as well .
    RIP Ray <rose>

8. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

9. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Never saw him play but my dad holds him up as the best keeper we've ever had including becker.
    We'll make new legends to keep the old alive
    <rose>

10. Garlic Klopp

LFC have put a great video up on Facebook in tribute, but I can't get it to copy. Perhaps some computer boffin who is 50 years younger than me can copy it across to here.

11. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

Just before my time but watched so much footage of him - Great Keeper
    Amazing man
    RIP :emoticon-0153-broke<rose>

12. Garlic Klopp

In the LFC tribute video Clemmo says the team played 21 consecutive games and only let in 4 goals! Is that a record for a team in the old first division and Prem, it may include Europe ,but still an impressive stat

wishiwasinliverpool likes this.
  13. wishiwasinliverpool

wishiwasinliverpool Well-Known Member

I cried when I heard. He was the King of Keepers! I watched him at Anfield many times. RIP!

14. moreinjuredthanowen

Rip. Was itprostate cancer?

15. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

As an Ipswich Town fan I have fond memories of great clashes between our sides in the 1970s,Ray was always a respected and formidable opponent.RIP.

16. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

assume so or at least a consequence from it .

17. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

RIP Ray...<rose>

18. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

19. saintKlopp

Blimey, I'm filling up here. That's taken me back, I was at most of those games.

RIP Ray, great goalkeeper, nice bloke.

Solid_Air 2 and Garlic Klopp like this.
  20. Garlic Klopp

Great video. I remember being at the St Etienne game, still one of the most up and down games emotionally along with the European Cup win in Istanbul