1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Query for a Hull City book I'm writing

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by RichardG, Sep 9, 2016.

1. RichardG

RichardG Well-Known Member

I can only apologise for the ruination of your holiday. I'm trying to encourage the local media to pick up on the Brabs stuff. He's compelling to listen to when it comes to City and still has such a passion for the club. Him and Jon Whitney as manager and assistant would be entertaining to say the least!

2. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

I love reading how much affection these players had for Hull , not just football but the whole City in general . I also hope there is another Adam Pearson out there somewhere reading it and getting ideas .

rovertiger and RichardG like this.
  3. RichardG

That part of things (the affection for Hull City and Hull as a place) took me aback a little when I was writing the book. I kind of figured that the likes of Ash and Boaz, for example, would feel that way, but it was nice hearing it from people who maybe didn't have the best of times at City (such as Greg Strong) or who left in slightly acrimonious circumstances (such as Brian Little). I like to think the book offers an insight into what the club and city can achieve when we're all pulling in the same direction. It won't happen under the current regime, but that spirit, that passion that made the decade what it was is still there.

4. RichardG

Couple of things. I wrote an article for the HCSS fanzine Tigers Eye last month on what it's like to write a book (i.e The Decade) about Hull City and chat to all your heroes. It's now on the HCSS website. It can be found here:

https://www.hcss.org.uk/so-i-wrote-a-book/

Also, hosted by the HCSS, we're having a mini-London launch for the book this Thursday, 7pm, at the Spread Eagle on Woodstock Street (near Bond Street tube station). Peter Taylor will be in attendance and taking questions from the fans. While the event is principally for HCSS members, if any City fans are in London and fancy coming along you'd be welcome. Please try to let me know first though so we can get a rough idea on numbers. Thank you!

5. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

Same here. I initially bought it to read while on hols, until I realised how big it was. I read til about halfway through in one session prior to hols. I came back and was determined to 'make it last', so have read a chapter every now and then. It's similar to when we purchase our favourite tipple. You can down it all yin one go (which sadly is my usual style), or just return to it occasionally for a treat ( Denis has mastered this and I really envy him for it). Both enjoyable in their own way though. With the book, I know I couldn't buy the same again.
    Though I do suspect after a while, it would be 're readable' (certainly with my fading memory) which is probably the equivalent of a never ending bottle of your favourite tipple).'

6. RichardG

Any analogies that involve the book and alcohol are always very welcome. Glad you enjoyed it. I would imagine that the play-offs chapter at the very least would be re-readable.

askewshair likes this.
  7. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

Spoiler AlertI haven't got to there yet!

RichardG likes this.
  8. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

Just read this article (on your Twitter account, from a 'like' from Ash #legend).

Utterly wonderful article. Thank you. Must have something in my eye. <applause>
    Book next, holiday reading sorted.

Cambstiger likes this.
  9. RichardG

Thank you. Ash has been brilliant for supporting the book (along with many, many other former players).

10. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Despite the size, I took the book on holiday with me and the missus insisted on me booking a second suitcase if I was taking it, for which Ryanair charged me the princely sum of £100. I managed to read absolutely none of it.

Epic fail.

Though taking a massive book on holiday, when I was away on my new Grandson's first holiday, was perhaps a tad optimistic.

11. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Bloody hayfever :emoticon-0106-cryin

RichardG and Gone For A Walk like this.
  12. RichardG

Just a quick report back from the HCSS-organised London launch for The Decade last night. We had 40 or 50 or so City fans turn up to be spellbound by Peter Taylor. I genuinely wish all City fans could see him in such a setting. The sometimes prickly, aloof figure that managed us from 2002 to 2006 is obliterated within seconds. He's warm, friendly, funny, self-deprecating, honest, knowledgable and just very entertaining. Not one person came away feeling anything other than genuine affection towards him.

Highlights of the night were him telling us how he was completely in the dark about Stuart Green dating his daughter ("Even Damien Delaney knew before me!"); how North Ferriby is his favourite place that he's lived in, and how he cures his 'homesickness' by watching The Yorkshire Vet on Channel 5; how he bitterly regrets leaving City and had half a chance of coming back when Parkinson was sacked, but it never quite happened for Simon Jordan-related reasons; and how he considers Simon Maltby as good a signing as he made at City. All the stuff on his relationship with Adam Pearson was great too. If he comes up to Hull to chat to City fans - and I get the impression that he'd do it at the drop of a hat if not otherwise engaged with managerial duties - try to get to see him. Pretty much all of his former players think the world of him, and when you see him up close it's easy to see why.

13. kingstontiger

kingstontiger Well-Known Member

It was a great evening Richard and absolutely endorse your comments about PT. He must have talked for 75 minutes. Honest, fascinating and funny. I liked how he said that normally if he did an after dinner speech he had to prepare notes but he didn't need them to talk about Hull City. Top man.

14. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Just re read your article about writing the book

Utterly brilliant <applause>

RichardG likes this.
  15. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Even though I had the book sent out here, I have resisted the urge to start reading it, as I am planning to read it from cover to cover on the flight home sometime soon. I can't think of a better way to pass the time on a long flight.

RichardG likes this.
  16. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Yeah? I had a similar plan, make sure it’s firmly packed in your hand luggage John.

17. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Don't pack it in the hand luggage, you will be over the allowance. You are entitled to carry on reading material in addition to the baggage allowance.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  18. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Didn’t work when I told them I’d brought a snowboard to read on the plane!

Des Head, FER ARK, askewshair and 3 others like this.
  19. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Brilliant.
    I'll get my sister to bring me a set of Encyclopedia Britannica in place of my brother-in-law on her next trip over here <laugh>

dennisboothstash likes this.
  20. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

They stopped printing it in 2012, the internet has the answer.