1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Query for a Hull City book I'm writing

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by RichardG, Sep 9, 2016.

1. RichardG

RichardG Well-Known Member

Thanks DarbyDays. Alan Wiley was lovely but was a bit vague on the Liverpool 2-2 with stuff I couldn't really use, sadly. But I found his version of events at Wembley and the Emirates brilliant. Particularly the "well that's put the cat among the pigeons" line. Something of an understatement.

DarbyDays likes this.
  2. RichardG

Thanks so much Gerry. And I'm glad you took that from the book, as it was one of the most heartening things for me. It's genuine too. Brabs was one - that interview was heartbreaking when you hear what the club and the city meant to him. And Brian Little still clearly really loves City. But even the likes of Greg Strong - who most would simply brand as a failure - hold both the club and the area in particularly high affection.

3. RichardG

Hello folks, and many thanks to the many contributors on here who've been so supportive of my book, The Decade. The response has been great so far, and the number of dyed-in-the-wool City fans who've been saying nice things about it has made me a bit emotional, if I'm being honest.

Just a few bits of info. The book launch will be at Mr Chu's (St Andrew's Quay) starting 7.30pm on May 4th (this Saturday). It is being organised by Hull City Supporters Trust. I will be there and happily signing copies of the book, but better than that will be the former players in attendance. Dean Windass, Ken Wagstaff, Justin Whittle, Craig Fagan, Jason Price, Matt Duke, Mark Greaves and Adam Lowthorpe have confirmed their attendance, along with the likes of Simon Maltby and Burnsy, and we're still hopeful of more being added to that. Brendon Smurthwaite will be hosting proceedings. If you want to eat at Mr Chu's on the night, ring 01482 222288 (£10 a head for the buffet). However, you can just turn up on the night and buy your book/get it signed. Please note, in you wish to purchase the book on the evening, it will be cash only (there is an ATM near the restaurant). Books will cost £20, but roughly £14 per purchase will go towards Dove House Hospice. If I don't sell out - which I really shouldn't - I'll hopefully be in the William Gemmell before the Bristol City game selling/signing yet more books.

The book will also shortly be available in the Cut-Price Bookstore in Beverley (19 Butcher Row) where they will take orders as of now, and Waterstones in Hull town centre will also be stocking it very soon. Should none of those be an option, it is still available on Amazon. The link is here. I'm also hopeful that Dove House's shops will soon be selling the shop throughout East Yorkshire too.

I had the pleasure of appearing on a couple of podcasts this week. One was for Amber Nectar, which is here, and the other was for Hull Is This, which is here.

Thanks again for all your support on here.

4. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Heard you on Burnsy. Very interesting. Came across a lot better than many of the presenters on RH. Which could be construed as damning with faint praise.<laugh>

RichardG likes this.
  5. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

Just received The Decade as a birthday pressie. Shed my first tear just reading Ash's foreword! At my rate, it'll take me longer to read than it did you to write. Looks fantastic value, 439 substantial pages. had planned to take it on jollies, but it's ****ing heavy and it is something which would be a great 'coffee table' book, don't want to spoil it

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  6. RichardG

Thanks Barchullona. Was very enjoyable - if surreal - doing all the media stuff. There's a HDM article on the book here too for anyone that's interested.

Askewshair - a lot of people seem to have your dilemma regarding holiday reading. Not quite sure what the answer is. I attempted to put an offer into Amazon where you can buy the Kindle version for a couple of quid if you'd bought the book.

7. cheshireles

cheshireles Well-Known Member

Richard unfortunately i'm unable to make tomorrow night, much as it sounds like a fantastic night is lined up.

Sincerely wish you every success, and having started to read your book thanks so much for reviving so many fond memories.

On a personal note, at the tail end of the decade I got to see my club play in Bejing what a trip, what a journey!

8. RichardG

Thank you cheshireles. I'm just hoping I've go enough books to sell given the number of people who say they're coming!

I couldn't get to Beijing as it cut across my busiest period at work. I do remember going to to the canteen for a coffee in the Financial Times offices, however, and seeing City on telly in there playing the Chinese team in the tournament. Just one of many surreal moments of that period.

9. cheshireles

cheshireles Well-Known Member

I bought a Beijing Guan shirt while over there and as myself and my son were staying at the Hyatt we were fortunate to be in the same hotel as City, Spurs and West Ham. So a unique memento of the trip is a Guan shirt with lots of autographs that my son got!

A great ending to what was indeed a very unexpected and fantastic decade!!

10. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

I would have definitely been there Richard, but I’m out of the country
    Hope it goes well

RichardG likes this.

11. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I truly wish I was in the country to be able to attend Saturday, as this sounds as if it is going to be a real Hull City fest. It is really special that through this book you have brought the fans together in this way, and at the same time raise money for a wonderful cause. Congratulations Richard, pity our owners don't have a modicum of ability to do the same.

12. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

As an author on Amazon do you actually get any say about a kindle edition and what price it might sell for ?

13. RichardG

Thank you John, that really means a lot. As I've said all along, one of my main intentions behind writing the book was to hopefully help fans that had fallen by the wayside a little to re-engage with those feelings for the club. We'll see on that score.

14. RichardG

The answer is: I think so. I set various parameters for the pricing of the book and the Kindle version, but it seems Amazon can then do various bits and pieces with that (seemingly based around algorithms and the like). None of it takes any money away from my royalties (which is the money going to Dove House) so that's fine.

Newland Tiger likes this.
  15. NewbaldTiger

NewbaldTiger Active Member

Will try to attend but more likely will order from the Beverley cut price store.

RichardG likes this.
  16. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Big **** off Rolls Royce been spotted up n down 6 th n 8th Ave!!
    Coincidence???

17. askewshair

Let me know if you have any joy with that before Thursday.

18. askewshair

Following the successful Scarborough meet last week, surely we have the momentum now to meet at Cod before, Approach chu's mob handed ?
    DBT's out of the country though

dennisboothstash likes this.
  19. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

Our Leader out of the Country & you're straight in with a Ku Da Ta attempt. Tickler would be proud.

20. askewshair

Just testing the water..

dennisboothstash likes this.