1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Queens Park Rangers v Sunderland – Tuesday 26th October 2021 - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Oct 24, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Oct 26, 2021.
  1. Home win

21.3%
  2. Away win

49.2%
  3. QPR - win on pens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. SAFC - win on pens

24.6%
  5. Meh - who cares

4.9%
  1. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

i dont know marra, i can just say it as i see it...if you read my first post on this (which it seems you have not) then you will see i cannot see how it was offside except he was ahead of the ball, baffles me but feck it as we have had so many decisions go against us (i could list this seasons alone but it would be 'tl,nr' ) i am willing and noble enough to accept the decision and move onto the quarters ;)

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  2. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I understand that but can't we just be happy we've had a lucky break, I actually think at the start of the move the guy coming back from an offside position is why it was disallowed.
    Were never going to change the EFL on a chat forum, they are never going to fess up and admit their officials are sub standard and the Rangers fan whose emailed them is showing himself up imo.

3. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Is the draw straight after tonight's matches?

4. Confucius

Confucius Well-Known Member

you don't just look at the goal in isolation, when the ball is first cleared by our defence, it is picked up by their bloke coming back from an offside position. When the cross comes in he is offside, we clear it and he picks it up and plays it forward. he gained an advantage by being in an offside position at the first cross .

Gatesy, badgerbill and cumbrianmackem like this.
  5. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

Supposedly being drawn at half 10 Saturday morning on Soccer AM

Oliver's Army likes this.
  6. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not :emoticon-0149-no: We’ve gotta wait until Saturday morning.

7. Oliver's Army

Cheers lads. That's a bit ****, but at least we are in it.

8. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Correct
    That’s my view

Confucius likes this.
  9. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

I lost the sound for all the second half
    And pics were lost in that incedent
    However when pics came back on I was lead to believe the qpr player came back from an offside position and continued with the same passage of play

10. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Were Dajaku and Hume injured last night and did Stewart get a knock?

11. Oliver's Army

Hume and Dajaku both went off injured. LJ said both were impact injuries. Hume had one of those plastic boot things on after the game apparently. Stewart got put into the advertising boards, but played on then went down after a heavy fall and hurt his shoulder. He lasted the full game and scored his penna so I assume he is ok for Saturday

12. Washysafc

Washysafc Well-Known Member

He might not have looked involved, but if you watch carefully he was the next player to touch the ball, so he was active and the defender had to play the ball. That was why the off side was given. It is actually an excellent call.

13. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

If that is why, then technically the offside call was wrong. Per the laws of the game (see attached, final paragraph), "a player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball is not considered to have gained an advantage". Our defender headed the ball away (deliberately played it) therefore the QPR can't have been offside, even though he was coming back from an offside position. There is a debate to be had about whether this is the intended outcome of the law (my view is that it is not), but there isn't really any question that, as per the current letter of the law, he was onside. Google M'bappe's goal against Spain in the final of the Nation's League for confirmation - he was about half a yard offside when his teammate passes him the ball, confirmed by VAR. But because the defender just nudged the ball with his toe on its way through to him, he can't be offside as the defender took a deliberate action.

Attached Files:

14. Confucius

Confucius Well-Known Member

So if a defender touches the ball forward and a striker behind him who is offside can just go around him and take the ball off him? No he can’t obviously
    That is if it’s played by an opponent directly to him. For instance if we play the ball back to the keeper and he intercepts it. What about the bit in the laws where it says:

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
    ….. gaining an advantage by playing the ball

In this instance they even clarified the asterisk meaning as
    *The first point of contact of the ‘play’ or ‘touch’ of the ball should be used

Montysoptician likes this.
  15. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

The player's offside if the ref gives it.

QED

16. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Deleted.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Robertson likes this.
  17. Comfy

Comfy Well-Known Member

Could've sworn we drew 0-0 last night and won on pens, ref disallowed a goal for qpr for offside. Down in the history books as off side

18. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Of course we've had a lucky break and I'm delighted that we have. Everybody on this thread is positive about the result and our performance last night.

I really don't see the harm in discussing a major talking point that happened during our game. The discussion is centred around the laws of the game and not the outcome of the match.

I agree about that email from their supporter. It was ridiculous pretty much threatening an official.

19. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Rhinos Legend likes this.
  20. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

The only thing that matters in this scenario is if the guy is defined as being involved in the play. I personally don't think he was because as the ball was originally crossed into the box, he was running away from the ball. If he wasn't viewed as being involved with the play than him picking up the ball from our defenders headed clearance becomes irrelevant.

I thought our free kick for the disallowed goal was taken from the 6 yard box? Are you sure it was taken from further up?