1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Quarter season thoughts....

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Oct 1, 2017.

1. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I'm with you 100% PTC. I also don't go to too many games, but it would be nice if other teams fans, and pundits, talked about us in a positive light, saying what a great attacking team we have, and even though we lose, we try to win the game and attack the opposition, instead of all the sh!t teams wishing they had our manager, and all the pundits saying what a great job he's doing with "limited resources" (limited resources doesn't cut it when you have an owner worth £850m), and everyone referring to us as a Mick McCarthy team (ie stubborn, hard working and down right boring).

itfcptc and johnnywarksmoustache like this.
  2. Castro Sito

Castro Sito Well-Known Member

Stubborn and hard working is needed in this league though especially on limited resources. Also bear in mind the Bristol game came off the back of two decent attacking performances against Leeds and Sunderland.

We've shown glimpses of what we can do and with important players coming back my glass is staying half full!......for now at least anyway!

3. stretchyboy

We're the Eddie Charlton of football

4. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

My glass has only got a few drops left at the bottom....!! <cheers>

5. stretchyboy

As long as there are a few drops, there's hope!

6. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Same, half full from me. Has to be or I become completely disengaged with it.

Think we've had a very good start all things considered, however that's all it is, a start. I'd rather we win a game by any means possible than entertain for 90 and lose 3-1. People will say that's what they want - well, it would soon wear thin if the results were horrific too and we were going nowhere. Not saying last season was great however that's the past and it's 17/18 now. Also, 14/15 we made play offs however the footy was toilet. That side had 17th of the table ability. Awful midfield, yet each did their job to perfection.

COYB.

7. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Stubborn and hard working is needed in this league but so is being able to play football keep the ball and have a bit of attacking intent.

I'm gonna have to stop watching or listening to town otherwise I'm going to get completely disengaged with it but that's not why you follow football.

There's more to football than just winning. I'd much rather experience a bit of entertainment and glory than grinding a result out every week.

I'm so glad I experienced the Burley and Royle era, those years were so entertaining, I would have taken the highs and lows of that era anyday over a Mick McCarthy team who just got results to stay in the PL for example.

The problem is Westlake back when we got into the playoffs we had a workman like team, now we generally have quite a decent footballing team who try to play in the same way.

And I ask this question, why do we teach our youngsters to play in a certain way if it's all about results. Why don't we just coach them in the way that our first team play?

8. johnnywarksmoustache

Speaking of coaching my Son is taking his UEFA PRO B Coaching licence next year and he is only 20 year old! He currently works as a youth development coach for Crawley Town, Fulham and has just been approached by Cambridge United. He also coaches kids with learning difficulties and with disabilities. We as a family are moving back up to Suffolk next year so once he is fully qualified he will be knocking on the door of Bryan Klug! We simply aren't producing enough coaches to the standard required in this country, <ok> The amount of knowledge he has gained on football is just amazing. A future Ipswich Town Manager in the making!

9. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Yep,it doesn't have to be one thing (win ugly) or the other (lose pretty) there is a middle ground where you make yourself difficult to beat and then earn the right to play decent football.

The problem so many of us who actually watch Town regularly have with Mick's style,or lack of it,is the one dimensional "keep us difficult to beat" with very little inkling of how to go about winning games.

As I've said before this Season we've shown glimpses of a more attacking intent but Mick soon reverts to type.This is the reason I still look forward to the day he leaves.

itfcptc and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  10. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Terrific stuff, Warky. How chuffed you must be.
    Coaching, youth, talent, inspiration, hardwork, more pro coaching, is the way...plus opportunities galore. Oh, and er um role models, have we got any up Suffolk?!

11. johnnywarksmoustache

Football is all he has ever wanted to do ever since he could kick a ball and all credit to him for starting up his own soccer schools from scratch! He is a Townie through and through (blame me for that) and his ultimate ambition is to one day coach and even manage Ipswich Town. Words can not begin to describe just how proud of him I am! He is doing what he loves and earning a decent living from it.

12. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Well done to your lad Warkie and best wishes to him for the future.

13. johnnywarksmoustache

Cheers Bigal much appreciated <ok>

San Diego likes this.
  14. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Lets just hope Warkies son knows more about football than his 'I Love Mick McCarthy' father!
    I remember those days well Warky, ya fecking idyat!

15. Spanish

Lets just hope Warkies son knows more about football than his 'I Love Mick McCarthy' father!
    I remember those days well Warky, ya fecking idyat!

16. Spanish

oops, soz for double post

17. Spanish

Warky, i cant believe you said this about me, back in the day..

Mike - None of Spanish points are worth debating mate <ok> The guy just wants Mick to fail and I've got no time for people like him and I will give his opinions the contempt they deserve!

****3r!<laugh>

18. Spanish

Now who wants Mick to fail, so we can move on, pmsl

19. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Good luck to your boy, JWM.
    You must be a proud man <ok>

20. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Well done on Uefa Warky that's cracking.
    When the time comes and Mick DOES move on I'll be very interested into how you treat the new dude on this Spanish I have to say! Like or hate your posts, you've at least been damn consistent across time. I have been consistent from the other side of the coin too I'd say. So what's wrong with others, so damn fickle ;)

Well done on your lad Warky, you fickle I LOVE MICK, I HATE MICK! ;)