1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR Vs Norwich City - Wed 19th April @19:45

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by zogean_king, Apr 17, 2023.

?

Who will win

1. QPR

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Draw

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Norwich

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  4. Football

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Reading

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

Been a massive waste of a whole season, fuelled by false belief in having "the best squad in the Championship". I said before the season started that we needed a two-season rebuild before targeting promotion again. Now even that looks optimistic given how much dead wood remains from those two, abject, top flight seasons. Pukki and Cantwell, who both wanted out, should have been allowed to leave last summer, and replacements sought for the rest of the damaged goods.

2. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Well at least Robbie is happy , he has been hoping to see a Norwich team without Handley & McLean all season

ncgandy and RiverEndRick like this.
  3. DUNCAN DONUTS

4. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

Have you been keeping a track of me?

zogean_king and RiverEndRick like this.
  5. Robbie BB

No, I'm not at all happy; as I said, a wasted season. But yes, what I hoped to see was a team without Hanley or McLean -- at the start of the season, not the end.

6. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Now I get it, what you where hoping for was relegation.

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  7. NorthCityCanary

NorthCityCanary Active Member

Looks like you've set the happy clappers off again Robbie, shame the tinted specs they wear seem to be a permanent appendage these days.
    Unfortunately SN23 & CC, the prospect of Norwich getting dry humped 0-4 home to Palace next season doesn't quite appeal, a season in this division to rebuild and get some strength & bite into midfield, with pace and movement upfront will do us wonders

Farked19 likes this.
  8. DUNCAN DONUTS

Yes that's how you become a Premier league team , hope to stay in the Championship until the parachute payments run out & sell your best players to keep the lights on.

Advocate not playing Hanley & McLean two of our best performing players all season .

Genius

carrowcanario likes this.
  9. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

Two wasted seasons. One terrible decision IMHO.

premcanary likes this.
  10. NorthCityCanary

NorthCityCanary Active Member

No, we're already in debt (£50/60m?), have a squad that's repeatedly failed in the Premier League 3 times, getting progressively worse results each time, and each time we've sold our 'best player(s)'.
    We've half a defence that can't defend (several year issue), a midfield that lacks bite, nous and the ability to use strength/put in a crunching tackle etc (Bradders/Safri never properly replaced).. Strikers upfront that are aging should have been replaced end of last season (Pukki), Idah who for some reason is still rated at this level...... & an almost £10m EPL flop.
    I wasn't happy with having those as main choice starters, but given the dross as comparative other options, they've played well.

We're still little old Norwich, can't fall over under the slightest bit of contact, it's not the Norwich way. We can't moan to the ref to win freekicks/penalties, it's 'simulation' not the Norwich way. We don't do niggling fouls often enough, we're a nice team. We can't play direct or long balls....we can't do that the fans say, I've been going 50 years, Norwich have to be a short pass out to the wing team.

Also, sorry to disappoint Farked19, but it was time for a change, results said it all and he struggled without Emi.

CitySlicker2010 likes this.

11. DUNCAN DONUTS

After Luton we are the second poorest club in the top 2 divisions, Webber pissed away all the TV money and parachute payments on Smith & a bunch of duds.

Just seems odd you didn't post for most of the season then with 3 games remaining you brand me a happy clapper.

I'm far from it but until the season is mathematically finished I hope we win the odd game.

Saying you're glad we aren't going up because Palace will hammer us 4-0 the week after getting thumped 5-1 is also daft .

Coincidentally the worst thrashing received all season , Hanley not playing of course

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  12. Robbie BB

Idah came on last night and caused the QPR defence no end of problems. It was as if a switch had been thrown that started him playing as everyone's been crying out for him to play, but haven't seen from him since he and Sargent teamed up in Pukki's absence last season.

zogean_king and ncgandy like this.
  13. Robbie BB

As I keep repeating to deaf ears, the time to learn to do without Hanley was at the start of the season, not after he'd already been a fixture in a faltering side for 39 matches.

14. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

I'm far from a happy clapper, but if you think the blame for our relatively poor performance this season rests on the shoulders of Hanley & McLean then it's you that's deluded not me. As I remember it, we did better in the PL last season when Hanley played and fell apart when he got injured.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  15. DUNCAN DONUTS

16. Robbie BB

Neither NorthCityCanary or I have particularly blamed Hanley and McLean for our performance this season; that said, they are certainly not blameless either. The issue with them is about what if any place they have in a rebuilt side better equipped to survive in the top tier. My consistent opinion has been that both are good Championship quality players but neither has the quality to be first choice starters in a top tier Norwich City side. To go back up with Hanley and McLean as fixtures in the starting eleven should be unthinkable.
    Nobody disputes that, as things stand, we do better with Hanley and McLean in the side. As things stand. The point is that our best with those two in the side isn't good enough.

17. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Watched a good stream of the match. The ball seemed to be in the air far more often than on the ground. Hoofball seemed to be the order of the day. Slick passing was non existent - is this what DW wants the players to stick to? It’s plain to see that many of the side do not want to be at CR and many won’t be by the end of season.

18. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

I don't totally disagree with you, but it was good enough two seasons ago when we got 97 points. Are you suggesting that they have both declined since then? Or that the Championship has improved in quality?

IMO, although neither of them may thrive in the PL, there are more urgent problems to fix. First and foremost, the perennial lack of a good DM. And now, with Pukki leaving, a striker who is less hit-and-miss than both Sargent and Idah. Finally, a style of play that doesn't abandon midfield to the opposition.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
    Canary Rob and carrowcanario like this.
  19. mike555

mike555 Well-Known Member

Most would agree, including our last 2 managers, that Hanley and Mclean have been 2 of our more dependable players. during recent seasons. We have generally performed worse when they have not been involved , as CC suggested. Are they both Premiership quality ? No they are not , and given the necessary resources , we would no doubt look to replace them both. But not before we have replaced the rest of the starting 11, with the possible exception of Sara and Aarons. We are not good enough to be competitive in the Premiership , and realistically, this will continue to be the case without new wealthy owners. Personally, I think we have reached the stage now, where I think a period in the Championship will allow us rebuild the squad and allow some of our youngster to prove their worth. . I can see both Sara and Aarons being sold , perhaps for a combined total of 40 to 50 m. . .Being in the Championship will take some of the pressure off and allow us time to reinvest some of the money in young promising players for the future .
    To single two of better players for continuous criticism is what a certain poster does as he knows it will get a reaction from the usual suspects ! How many times have they both been the topic of conversation on this forum for this very reason? I find it quite extraordinary and tiresome . And to read a couple of regular posters being described as "happy clappers" reminds why we have seen our numbers decreasing on this forum during the last 3 or 4 years.

20. Robbie BB

Good enough as per my previous post: :"My consistent opinion has been that both are good Championship quality players but neither has the quality to be first choice starters in a top tier Norwich City side. To go back up with Hanley and McLean as fixtures in the starting eleven should be unthinkable."