1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR vs Luton Town

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Sep 11, 2019.

1. WBA2_QPR3

WBA2_QPR3 Well-Known Member

It seems Warburton & QPR are a good fit and his vision and acquisitions are solid and the football much improved

Clearly whilst the side is still developing and is a little fragile, it's less than 10 games remember, maybe the ability to reduce mistakes and grind out a result can be improved

No complaints from me

NorwayRanger, kiwiqpr, UTRs and 6 others like this.
  2. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Eze a very clear MOM for me. He was absolutely outstanding. Wells very good and both his and Hugill's movement were opening Luton's defence for Eze, Chair and others especially the first 30 when we were really good. Chair was good, but not as incisive as Eze (not many would be) and I thought he was becoming more peripheral and run around by Luton 2nd half. Bringing Pugh on helped steady us a bit. Thought Ball had a good steady game, as did Barbet, great saving tackle 2nd half. Kane was a but quiet apart from his yellow card tackle! Hall and Leistner made a few mistakes that could have cost us as much as Lumley's, and Manning's failure to get back and mark his man cost us the 2nd, though some of his crosses caused them problems.

I think Angel and especially BOS would have given Luton more problems 2nd half, but I gather both are injured, not seriously I hope.

NorwayRanger, Uber_Hoop and QPRski like this.
  3. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Slightly disagree with the comments about the substitution, which I thought helped us to hang on.

I think we changed the system to strengthen the defence..with Kane going off, Ball went to right back. It stopped Luton attacking down our right, which they were getting a lot of success from. Amos came on into a more right wing. I think Chair was tiring, it his first season, and he has not had the full season that Eze has...he was magnificent yesterday..so much attack... but just watch how he now is so much more aware of his defensive responsibilities. He last the 90 minutes too. He didn't last year...so give Chair a chance to build up to playing 100% for 95minutes!

Wells was unlucky to come off. Hugill did so much hold up play...that help so much ..but must learn to shoot on target...

Barbet and BFG both made brilliant last ditch tackles in the penalty area.
    We do need to tidy up the defence we won't always score more than you.

I predict we will see a different team versus Millwall. Cameron will play, think Rangel might too. I am very impressed with Warburton, I do think he is the reason we are 7th and not 17th...
    Long may it last

4. QPR Oslo

Surely if we are top ten in January we won't be selling our best then. Hopefully we will be acquiring a quicker and solid CD.

kiwiqpr and QPRski like this.
  5. QPR Oslo

The Commentators said Amos went right wing back as a direct replacement for Kane, did look like that when he first came on. We were giving Luton lots of cheap free kicks down their left side 2nd half which we struggled to defend.

QPRski likes this.
  6. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Let’s hope and keep our fingers crossed! :)

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  7. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

I think MW took off Nahki instead of Hugill because we now have a very good pair up front. Nahki had scored two and will be buzzing for next Saturday; whereas, Hugill needed to score to keep his confident run going. Unfortunately, it back-fired because Hugill missed his chances

Eze! No need for words.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  8. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

I think the reason why is that they are not just luxery players, they do the donkey work as well as being fantastic going forward.

NorwayRanger, QPR999 and QPRski like this.
  9. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

I dare say you are right. We will be told that promotion is now the target and when we fall just short Warburton will be thanked for his services on the basis he has taken us as far as he could, and, don't you know he had asked to be sacked at the end of the season anyway because all along he had wanted to spend more time looking after his grandmother and had never intended the role to be more than one season. Our dysfunctional owners will then revert to type and recruit Pulis on the basis he was someone that Tone had admired and lusted after for years having played FIFA 201whatever with him once. The youngsters will then be sold on for a combined total of £1 million thus generating 'amazing' profits.

Nightmare? Hope so but then this is QPR and that is how our 'ambitious' owners have behaved for the last 6-8 years..

10. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They described BFG'S pass to Naki for the 2nd goal as "route 1" on the EFL show last night.....words fail me as it was a wonderful pin point pass from 40 yards.....any premier league player would have been proud to play such a pass...

11. mcytiger

mcytiger Active Member

2nd game of the season for me and my lad. As everyone says we were amazing for 30mins, then just about hung on. So typically QPR! Could not believe Wells came off and Hughil stayed on. An absolute donkey! Cant believe he scored two the other week. You could see Wells wanted his hat-trick. When Eze danced thru in the second half and then Hughil missed an absolute sitter.

12. Fourtyyearsofhurt(mostly)

Im loving it atm and yes it is a side developing and you can dissect yesterday but if Lumley hadn't made such a horrendous mistake may have won by 6!!

I think its working both ways with MW....he has done brilliantly with acquisitions but also I think he has been surprised by the ability of some of our players and can see real potential and with him nurturing we are on to a winner here. I think there will be a lot of 3-2 games this season with a bit of a jittery defensive unit .....its something a lot on here have been yearning for for years rather than the 1-0 defeats away from home consistently....

Attendances need to improve.....room for another 2500 yesterday

NorwayRanger, UTRs, QPRski and 2 others like this.
  13. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Surely just because it is route 1, does not stop it being classy!

QPRski likes this.
  14. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Rather have the 3-2s than 1-0s, we've been waiting a long time for such entertainment. I think one day we are going to give someone a proper hiding when it all goes right for 90 mins...

QPR Oslo and UTRs like this.
  15. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

A bit harsh as it was Huggill's excellent movement in the first half that allowed Eze the space and time which he took full advantage of. However, that movement had largely evaporated in the second half and as you say, it was a nonsense to leave him on when he was tiring badly and Well's was still looking so dangerous. And over the last few games we have seen 10 or so good chances punted over the bar from short range by Huggill which is not acceptable from your main striker.

mcytiger likes this.
  16. QPR Oslo

A wonderful pin point Route 1 pass, maybe.

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  17. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Well it was a pass from defence for the attacked to chase. So technically it was a “route one” pass.

The beauty was that we were trying to pass the ball throughout the match so this was a brilliant and opportunistic “Hollywood” pass from central defender who was classified as a player who cannot play the ball.

Had it been Messi, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard or De Brune then it would have been classified as “visionary”, “brilliant” or “mouthwatering”.

Here the EFL very much degraded our global performance and certainly the BFG’s brilliant pass that caught the Luton team napping and flat footed.

However the longer our play is under the radar the better.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    QPR Oslo and Tramore Ranger like this.
  18. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Next Saturday and Millwall away will be a very interesting game.

I am intrigued as to how MW will set up the team. Will we try to surprise them and attack from the start or will we adapt a more conservative approach?

I personally would start with a 4-2-3-1 formation and plan to keep a clean sheet and then then “up the intensity” in the second half with a 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 formation.

But then, I am not MW.

19. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

20. QPR Oslo

"Plan to keep a clean sheet"! I wouldn't bank on it! I'll be happy with another 3-2, but Hugill will need to practice keeping his shots under the bar, and hopefully Cameron will be fit enough again to help out with Smith, though thought Ball was very good yesterday.

QPRski likes this.