1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR v Fulham

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Sep 29, 2017.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

IT’S derby-day in west London as QPR welcome Fulham to Loftus Road in what should be a pulsating game under the lights and in front of the Sky Sports cameras.

In what is so far the biggest game of the season, Rangers go into this one unbeaten in W12 whilst two of the Cottagers three victories in the league have been away from home.

The R’s come into this off the back of two draws. Holloway’s side were held 0-0 by Burton Albion last weekend and secured a point at Oakwell during the week thanks to Luke Freeman’s stunning late equaliser.

After a slow start to the season the Whites are beginning to hit some form. They have lost just one of their last five matches and were impressive on the road against Nottingham Forest on Tuesday night - running out comfortable 3-1 winners.

Slaviša Jokanović has established a stylish outfit since taking over at Fulham in December 2015. It took him a while to get his side playing in the manner he wanted, but after keeping them in the division they went on to have an excellent season last term.

Going relatively unnoticed throughout much of the campaign, Fulham started becoming more consistent from the turn of the year and won six out of their last ten league games to sneak into the play-off positions.

They were narrowly beaten by Reading in the semi-finals, but they have come a long way from the team that was facing a possible relegation the year before.

Jokanović’s outfit play an attractive brand of football which involves keeping possession, making the pitch as big as possible with their bombarding full-backs and allowing their playmakers in the middle of the park to try and dictate the ball. As well as that, they like to press high up the pitch and are capable of playing a number of different formations.

It’s fair to say that Fulham might be disappointed with how they have begun the season when you consider how some of the matches have panned out. They have drawn five games this year but in three of them they have conceded in the final ten minutes which has cost them three points. They are currently situated in 11th place, just two above the R’s.

Fulham have in recent years enjoyed a lot of success against Rangers but last season the R’s took four points off our London rivals. Idrissa Sylla headed a late winner at Craven Cottage whilst Ryan Manning gave us the lead against the Whites at Loftus Road back in January only for Chris Martin to equalise late on.

Ian Holloway knows his team have a great chance of ending the first quarter of the campaign in a positive position should he and his side pick up three points this evening.

A victory would mean the R’s would almost certainly go into the international break in the top half of the table, which would be deemed as a decent start to the season considering the standard of opposition Rangers have had to face in the opening two months.

Last Time Out
    Chris Martin atoned for a missed penalty to rescue a point for Fulham in an intriguing game at Loftus Road.

Martin had been denied from the spot by a fine fingertip save by Alex Smithies, his third of that season, early on before Ryan Manning put QPR ahead.

The Republic of Ireland man, who made his debut for the club a few weeks earlier, seized on a loose pass by Kevin McDonald before slotting in his first senior goal.

After QPR were on top for most of the first half, Fulham rallied in the second period and equalised when Martin cleverly diverted in Tom Cairney's goal-bound strike.

Stats

• 33% of Fulham's conceded goals have occurred after the 75th minute this season.
    • Only three teams (Cardiff City, Ipswich Town and Sheffield United) have picked up more points than QPR at home in the league this season
    • 18 goals between the two clubs in the last five games (QPR 6, Fulham 12)
    Manager Viewpoints
    Ian Holloway: “I think they play in a marvellous way and I really like their manager. The job he has done for them has been nothing short of sensational. We are going to try to really get at Fulham - not because it’s a local derby but because it’s our style of play. We want to develop into a team that doesn’t give you much time, that disrupts you, that pins you in.”

Slaviša Jokanović: “QPR are physical, very strong and we are going to find many challenges. This season QPR have had a little bit more possession of the ball compared to last season. We did our analysis and they are one of the top teams in the category of possession of the ball. Last season when we played against them they played with five at the back and we weren’t so comfortable during the game. We must be ready for everything from QPR’s side.”

Team News
    QPR: Idrissa Sylla is available for the visit of Fulham this evening after missing the mid-week trip to Barnsley with a knee injury. James Perch (Knee) Grant Hall (tendonitis) and skipper Nedum Onuoha (hamstring) are out.

Fulham: The Cottagers will be without influential midfielder Tom Cairney (knee), as well as forwards Floyd Ayité and Lucas Piazon (leg). Aboubakar Kamara finished the [Nottingham Forest] game with a minor problem and it is touch and go as to whether he will make the derby.

Referee
    Peter Bankes: Has handed out three red cards in 12 appearances this season.

Uber_Hoop, kiwiqpr, rangercol and 5 others like this.
  2. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

3. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

Thank ****! I have been waiting since the start of the season to post this one!

Bella Emberg, rotund Foolham fan and considered 'a nice bit of totty' by the Ruperts.

Uber_Hoop, GoldhawkRoad and QPR999 like this.
  4. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

5. fulham traveller

fulham traveller Well-Known Member

Love reading your preview thank you nines
    From the other side
    Fulham nowhere near the team of last season, and fortunate to beat forest 3-1 flattered us, can't get a settled side, and without cairney we don't seem to flourish, now without ayite and Kamara out, we will struggle to score goals,( which has been proven so far) and playing Ryan sessagnon in his worse position, we are vulnerable, this could easily be 2-0 to rangers, who's strengths are team work and hardworking, Fulham struggle against teams like qpr, burton etc,and qpr at home are now a force, so anything is possible tonight, be happy with a draw

6. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Cheers FT, that means you'll probably win 3-0 then <yikes>

That's how it usually works with the Rangers. Plus we rarely turn up for London derbies and we've never won on the tele on a Friday night.

fulham traveller likes this.
  7. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I've absolutely no reason to fancy us as we are almost always awful both on TV and against London teams but we have the same issue of struggling against the poorer sides and being more 'up for it' against teams like you who are maybe less physical. Should be a good contrast of styles if we can find eleven fit players.

Who is up front now you've found someone dim enough to pay £7.5m for Aluko?

8. fulham traveller

We also dont win on sky, upfront will be fonte, holds the ball up well etc, but not a goal scorer, our style will suit your style, but your style not suit us, as you press etc, could really go either way

9. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

First time in a long time that someone has said this.
    Capital letter, please! I always write Foolham with a capital.

10. Bwood_Ranger

We won 3-0 at home the day I was born and my new dog is basically a son
    We have a penchant for both throwing away leads and recovering when behind. I'd be amazed if there weren't a few goals.

11. fulham traveller

No capital letters only if I say Q.P.R, but English was not my strong point

12. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

It still isn't! ; )

13. fulham traveller

One sure thing Rangers will score after 85th minute, everyone else does against us

14. Lawrence Jacoby

Lawrence Jacoby Well-Known Member

Cheers Rich... Brilliant as usual
    On paper looks a great match and we have to forget the old scores we have a team that should fight for a good result IMO

Rangers Til I Die and QPR999 like this.
  15. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I thought that was only in your home games, you seem to be doing better away from home of late.

16. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Who was that against and was it on tele on a Friday?

17. fulham traveller

I suppose we could call L.R sane as a home match, yes at home we throw away leads. It's when we go ahead we fall apart

18. Bwood_Ranger

Blackpool, 1990. I think I've read it was a second FA Cup replay.

The prick, my dad, went to the bloody game.

fulham traveller likes this.
  19. fulham traveller

Can you blame him

20. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I know he left for his family, but I’d prefer him over Smith or Sylla any day. Far from a top class player, but he had that something that made me like him. Sending little messages like this helps. Wunderbar!

kiwiqpr, Hoop-Leif and QPR999 like this.