1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR v Brentford - League Cup 2nd Rd

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Aug 22, 2017.

1. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

A very interesting article on these team changes for this highly esteemed cup competition.

Yesterday, there were in total 274 team changes in 19 cup ties. So on a large population of fixtures, that is over 7 changes per team!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41019180

Yes, we had more than the average number of changes.

2. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

On reflection, whilst it is embarrassing to lose against Brentford, did we really believe that we were going to have a decent run this year? I don't think so and therefore I am not going to lose sleep over the result. What concerns me more is the fact that we have no depth in the squad. Injuries (such as Perch, out for months) will be our downfall. A week to go until the transfer window shuts. We need to go shopping!

NorwayRanger and rajman like this.
  3. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Very pragmatic and true.

4. Shawswood

Shawswood Well-Known Member

It was no surprise that Cardiff "lost" to Burton, Warnock has never been shy about stating his disregard for the competition, and by putting out that team last night Illie surely feels the same way.

Personally I don't really care as league position is what I'm concerned about, but it's downright embarrassing to lose 4-1 to Brentford at home in any competition.

Let's just move on now

5. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

Given that average we can't be too hard on Ollie for doing it, they all do. We've had so many years of cup woe it would be nice if our gaffer said sod it and put out his best 11, as Col has said a player can get injured at any time.

rangercol likes this.
  6. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I think most of the changes were caused by players already being injured, carrying knocks or in need of a rest. EFL to blame for this - that was the 6th game in 17 days. No wonder so many Clubs changed so many players.

NorwayRanger likes this.
  7. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

I slightly feel sorry for Ollie as I feel that he is a bit of a Catch 22 or "lose-lose" position.

If he put out his strongest team and there were injuries as in the past, then he would probably be criticised both for unnecessary injuries as well as not giving fringe players or youth a chance. He made ten changes and the first half simply did nor work.

For me the score line is more painful than the fact that we lost, however I have just listened to Ollies' interview and he could be correct that we did not take put away our chances which on paper were similar in numbers to Brentfords. I would add probably the quality of defending was also not on the same level.

As mentioned in posts above, time to move on.

8. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Can we be hard on Ollie for putting out a team that performed woefully from all accounts?

9. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

There was a time in the secondhalf ....for the 20 minutes after Freeman came on, that actually we really looked as though we would get another goal and make a game of it.
    This said it all to me...a single player comes on with vim and vitality and the game changed. Even the defence which was under so much pressure had 20 minutes to regain their breath.

For whatever reason...the players that were suppose to provide the engine room last night did not step up....so this would be Manning, Chair, Yeni, Wszolek and Borisuik. Borisuik was covering so much for the defence...but the rest did not hassle the same way that Scowen, Freeman, Luongo, Mackie and Conor did on Saturday.

That was the difference....if those 5 had hassled as much...there would not have been as much pressure on a poor defence....and more chances for the "not quite so good forwards". Manning may rue last night a lot, as I think his position in the pecking order will have fallen several places

10. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

At the C&S? Back in Nov 2013 when I was over for the Charlton match, I also had the pleasure of meeting Mr 999's and many other fellow R's here, plus the Irish R's - were you there that day and interviewed before the match at the C&S?

Hoops Eternal and QPR999 like this.

11. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

But did anyone have the pleasure in meeting Tessa from Richmond? :)

kiwiqpr likes this.
  12. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

On my new route to and from West Windsor to LR I now go past the C&S so at least know where it is. Count me in for the next one.

ELLERS and Hoops Eternal like this.
  13. Kilburn

Perhaps on a future visit we'll meet up at the C&S

Crown & Sceptre 2013.jpg

14. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

I don't know that we can, he wouldn't have put the team out with that intention and he has to trust his players to put in a performance. He cant have known they would perform woefully.

15. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Coningham Arms Kilburn - only met 999s, don't know if any other forum members were there....I was meeting up with some guys haven't seen for a few years, and just bumped into 999s, got chatting about the line-up, he found out I was down from Scotland and asked if I was Steelmonkey! Bizarre, but good to put a face to a name - unfortunately my pals turned up about 5 minutes later, so it was a brief encounter!

kiwiqpr, QPR999 and QPRski like this.
  16. Steelmonkey

Had to leave her in my hotel room Ski, keeping my bed warm <laugh>

17. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Brentford dump woeful Rangers out cup - Report

Wednesday, 23rd Aug 2017 18:36 by Jordan James Foster

Jordan Foster reports on QPR's annual cup humiliation - this time a 4-1 second round defeat at home to neighbours Brentford on Tuesday night.

After what was a very welcome, yet albeit unexpected start to the season, QPR are now in a familiar situation of being booed off the pitch after a lacklustre performance against local rivals Brentford.

Rangers are notoriously poor in cup competitions and recently have been notoriously poor against Brentford so a betting man you would have been forgiven for backing the Hounslow-based side for a win. 'Plucky'/'tin pot'/ 'little old..' Brentford played with conviction and looked genuinely impressive in parts – unlike Rangers.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/46373

18. Kilburn

That's where I enjoyed post match celebrations with the Irish R's - both are great pub meet-ups within easy walking distance of HQ - so you are not on that Charlton vox pop video with those interviews?

Steelmonkey likes this.
  19. Steelmonkey

Sorry to disappoint you pal, but I wasn't there that day <wah>

kiwiqpr and Kilburn like this.
  20. MelburnIAN

MelburnIAN Well-Known Member

Almost as funny as George Whitebread
    Can't believe QPR youtube feed wanted to send me this... Some well taken goals and awful (read non-existant) defending