1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR v Brentford - League Cup 2nd Rd

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Aug 22, 2017.

1. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Active Member

Just on the way back, can't believe we put that sort of side out in a local derby, first half was an absolute shambles. Simply blown away. Baptitse and caulker looked non league standard.
    We huffed and puffed after the break but lacked any sort of pace or quality to really get back in to it. Manning had a shocker, as did borysiuk. The only plus point I can think of was that Chair looks a decent prospect on the ball and could mature to become a very decent player. On the whole, an extremely embarrassing night.

NorwayRanger, rangercol and QPR999 like this.
  2. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

At least we don't have to wait til 4 am for the draw for the next round now.

3. MelburnIAN

MelburnIAN Well-Known Member

Lost an hour of kip for that, waking up at 4.40. Bah

Uber_Hoop, Didley Squat, UTRs and 4 others like this.
  4. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

9719 gullable ****s paid for that dross - Brentford bought a fair few to the party though

kiwiqpr likes this.
  5. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

That really was awful. Particularly so of course for the first half an hour but for bunch of blokes meant to be banging on the door to get a chance, they were almost all awful throughout.

Sylla and Yeni won't be Championship footballers while there's a hole in my arse. Fine if they're thrown on to chase a game but they still don't have a clue what they're doing on the pitch.

Caulker must have had one pint too many at lunch.

Thought the kid Chair did ok in the circumstances.

NorwayRanger and rangercol like this.
  6. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

The highlight of tonight has been this clip of George whitebread, Ian.

"Don't talk to me about sophistication lad, I've been to Leeds!"

7. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

8. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Cheer up! Cardiff lost at home too! ****ers.

9. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

kiwiqpr and Steelmonkey like this.
  10. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Sadly there are about six guys I know who are Brentford fans.
    I have to just suck it up and hope we do better in the league.
    And there was me stupidly wondering why the bookies had Brentford down for the win! Oh well.
    Onwards.

Uber_Hoop likes this.

11. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

I think it's fair to say that we won't be labelled a cup side.

12. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

OK, we made ten changes, but all of these people should be seen as alternates for the first team. Our back line were torn apart time after time, with Caulker and Robinson looking short of fitness and Baptiste looking just plain ****. Manning was awful, Borysiuk was not much better, and the front two were embarrassing. Wszolek did OK, but looked knackered by the time he was subbed and Chair looked a tidy player, if a little lightweight. Something seems wrong mentally with Manning, which won't have been helped by Holloway sending him out for the second half, only to hook him five minutes later. Why embarrass him like that? Nothing changed in those five minutes - do it at half-time.

13. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Baptiste may be slow but he was roughly in the right place and made a number of last minute challenges...Caulker was responsible for two of the goals...the first one he mistimed the tackle on the speedy winger (which was sort of lucky as if he had connected he would have been sent off) the winger crossed at pace so the pole had no chance but to put into his own net.
    The back four had no organisation.
    The midfield were bad until Freeman camee on...then Freeman and Chair dominated. Manning was really poor..
    Front two were also very poor.

Okay everyone was poor.

Any positives?...Chair could be useful, Wsolek was okay too... Borysiuk would have been okay if he wasn't continuously being landed in the sh@t by those around him.Freeman nearly changed the game. Baptiste wasn't quite as bad as Caulker ( but remember he has only played a couple of games in a year...)

Other positives...it didn't rain

NorwayRanger, rangercol and Uber_Hoop like this.
  14. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Holloway didn't put out a team tonight. It was a group of players which was disjointed and looked like it had to make it up as they went along. Our full backs were roasted our centre halves pulled apart and the midfield were non existent . The two up front looked like they'd never played football before and had won a raffle to play for QPR. After 32 minutes we were 3-0 down. A Furlong goal two minutes before half time preventing a mass exodus.

We were better after halftime, but that was to be expected as Brentford had the job done. They went into cruise mode, we didn't possess the guile and pace to break them down and we were second best throughout the match. On the few occasions that we breached their ranks the ball didn't fall for us but to be fair that was the case for the whole game. Freeman looked good when he came on for the very poor Manning and when Matt Smith came on for Caulker on 75 minutes we thought he would change the game as he did on Saturday. But their manager Dean Smith immediately threw on the rather tall right back ( but not as tall as Matt Smith ) Henrik Dalsgaard to perform a double team tag along with centre half Bjelland who stood one in front and one behind to nullify Smith. And that was effectively that. We huffed and puffed to get a goal back until the eventual and expected Brentford fourth goal on the break came.

I wouldn't read too much into this result as it doesn't reflect on the relatively good progress we've had so far in the league. But Ollie did our fans a disservice by making ten changes against our rivals. After not getting beat by a club that hadn't won here for fifty years, we've now lost two on the spin and are 9-1 down in three games. Our best Xl must improve against them in the league games.

Positives ...

Chair didn't look too bad all things considered.

We could've been five or six down at the break.

We nearly drew the second half.

15. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

In a word, 'shyte'...

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  16. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Thanks Ninesy. To summarise:

Brentford had one Bjelland on the park and QPR had eleven Bjellends. :)

17. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

Had Furlong not scored late in the first half, me and most of the fans around me would have left at half time. Wish I had now. Awful, awful, awful. It just goes to show that we have no depth in the squad. Mid table obscurity beckons.

NorwayRanger and Uber_Hoop like this.
  18. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

There, in that one word, lies the real tragedy. Not that many years ago Brentford were an irritating pimple on the bum of The Mighty Hoops (as we are to Chelsea - sorry but true) and now they are rivals?!! I won't ask 'how did that happen?' since we all know and it's a long and depressing narrative. So far. Onward and hopefully upwards.

19. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

A very disappointing result and I am pleased that a few brave posters are able to highlight some positives which are very much appreciated. If it a pity that we did not field the second half team from the beginning of the match, as then it may have been a very different result.

In is also very good that we did not lose (and actually won) the Hull match, otherwise we would be on a run of three defeats in a row with the next two league matches against very inform opposition. However, the feel good effect and momentum for the last minute winner against Hull has been lost which does put the pressure on Ollie and the team to perform on Saturday in Cardiff, and then against Ipswich.

qpherts likes this.
  20. qpherts

qpherts Well-Known Member

To make 10 changes is a disgrace even most prem teams played most of their first team last night! It's called continuity!

rangercol likes this.