1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR v Aston Villa

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Nov 18, 2017.

1. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Thats the way I saw it.

2. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

I said before kick off that Smith was a defensive selection against Samba...who was quiet and not good. (remember he got his reputation at Blackburn for being a CD who score goals/ alot of goals). I thought Snodgrass was good and Bidwell did well..

Unfortunately Cousins did not do well...and it was all down to Adomeh (who is a life long QPR fan isn't he????) having free range of the park (and being one hell of a player)

UPDATE ON FOODBANK
    It was not there (corner Loftus/Ellersie Rd) at 1.30...was there at 2.40. I got rid of my bag and AKUTRs Dave Thomas' bag there ...they were doing OK on donations and money too. Well done club/foodbank people. Hope they got a biit

Stroller likes this.
  3. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

My point is made though as others are positive we played 4-4-2.
    The players must be quite confused.

4. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Didn't notice Smithies distribution so much yesterday, apart from one terrible pass to Scowen that he redeemed himself for with a save. What I found terrifying was seeing Lynch and Baptiste trying to play out from the back.

5. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Possibly out for season according to twitter yesterday.

6. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Hard to see our formation on the stream but it looked like Baptiste, Lynch and Robinson in a back 3 first half anyway, which is what the Official were saying. Cousins a poor RWB. Don't know why Pawel is not used there if we are playing 3 5 2. But I found the first half depressing enough, thought we looked relegation material. 2nd half of mainly hopping freezed frames looked really horrible. Coming after Forest it was very depressing.

7. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Didn't notice Smithies distribution so much yesterday, apart from one terrible pass to Scowen that he redeemed himself for with a save. What I found terrifying was seeing Lynch and Baptiste trying to play out from the back.

8. QPR Oslo

What I saw last week somewhere.

9. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Really disappointing second half performance. Thank the good lord that the company I spent watching the match with was better. We really do need a forward who can do a bit of everything. Our current crop are too predictable and lack the ability to conjure up something from nothing. At the fans forum on Thursday Holloway was asked about this and said there was no one available on our budget. I suggest they take a look at Danny Hylton at Luton who is banging them in for fun up there. He was signed on a free from Oxford last season and has scored 32 from 55 appearances and has scored 8 in his last 5 home games. He scored 30 out of a 100 while at Oxford. He looks a bit of a late developer at 28 and although it's at League 2 level there have been plenty of fairytale stories of natural goal scorers making it at higher levels. I think out and out strikers can do it at most levels if given the chance. If the desire and instinct are there the parameters on the pitch don't change.

Here's CW's take on the game ... https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/46935

10. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Matt Smith NEARLY did something unpredictable with his smart volley on the turn. Surprised everyone in the stadium! That's his one moment of surprise for rest of season! Still love the fella. Does his best.

QPR999 likes this.

11. rangercol

The problem is that Ollie doesn't seem to know what his best team/formation is. Playing Smith up front with no one out wide to supply him with crosses is simply inept and I'm beginning to lose patience with him.

12. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Out of our strikers, Matt Smith is probably closest to doing exactly what it says on the tin.

13. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

That's what I was thinking. There's no one to supply the ammo from the flanks. What's happened to Bright Samuel and Lua Lua?

rangercol likes this.
  14. rangercol

They presumably don't fit into Ollie's preferred wing back formation. Problem is, neither do Bidwell or Cousins. We'd be better off playing 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 or even 4-4-1-1 to get our wide players into their best positions. Ollie over thinks it imo and we will continue to slide the wrong way whilst winning the odd game.

QPR999 likes this.
  15. 40 Years of Hurt

I didnt see yesterday's game but sorry dont see Smith as starter. I like him but pretty sure we havent won a game this year when he has started. I was happy and surprised at the start of the season when Olly left him on the bench and we won a few. Normally It disrupts us and we dont play enough football. I note he didnt have any supply yesterday and that is scandalous but apart from Forest, Washington and Sylla have done the business lately. Maybe with Tuesday's game he wanted to rest them, however I come from the Ginger Mourinho school of play your best team at all times.....

One other thing....Olly is starting to say exactly the same thing when we lose.....what we did and did not do.....DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT YOUR THE MANAGER .

rangercol likes this.
  16. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I don't think the three at the back is working Col. A 'flat back four' is what we need to revert to especially as we can't keep a clean sheet more often than not. When I played years ago the standard operating procedure when you leaked too many goals was to build from the back. You closed ranks and kept the pitch tight and don't allow the opposition to play between the lines. If that meant a 0-0 then so be it, it was better than trying to play expansive and losing. Your defence grew in confidence when keeping a clean sheet and you learned how to counter attack and move forward up the pitch from that. The art of defending is as an important part of football as is attacking.

Holloway is trying to do do both without any success. Our defence was breached on almost every occasion yesterday and our counter attacking was far too slow and pedestrian. To play counter attacking football you need to possess fast and mobile forwards. To play 3-5-2 you need footballers comfortable on the ball in tight situations. That's something we don't have. Our midfield three are good but can't do the both ends of the pitch bit.

By that I mean that they don't help out in the stopping of goals and they don't do enough in contributing scoring them either. Luongo has scored one this season and Freeman twice. That's it! A good midfield should be chipping in with 15 - 20 goals a season. I don't think we've had anyone scoring more than three in the last five years and I'm just guessing and trying to be conservative here.

I think what I'm over elaborating is a reply to your comment that 'Ollie over thinks it.' If you've got a bargain basement team of footballers you can't be trying loads of these new fangled fluid or complicated formations.

Get back to basics. The right players in their right positions knowing their job. That's the formula for this division. Especially when you've got a second string make shift defence when the majority of your key defenders are sidelined.

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid, and then build from that.

17. rangercol

You're spot on that we don't have the players to match the way Ollie is trying to play. I don't necessarily agree that 3 at the back can't help make you a better side defensively, as England have improved immeasurably in that department since adopting that formation. However, apart from the obvious difference in ability of the players, England also have wing backs that play as wing backs etc and CBs who can play a bit.

We DON'T!! I've said this since the start of the season..............we don't have one single wing back. Ollie either uses full backs there or tries to adapt wingers to do it. It isn't working, other than the odd game or two. Then yesterday he plays Smith up top with no wide players to supply him.

After the loss to Forrest, I said to Roller "back to the drawing board" and he he chastised me for it (rightly I thought at the time). But the more I think about it I really do think we're getting it wrong on the whole and that it's mainly down to Ollie's muddled thinking. We have to cut our cloth to match our financial position, I get that, but he can still play the right players in the right positions. Cousins at wing back? FFS!!

QPR999 likes this.
  18. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Nice one, but what formation would you play? In the absence of Hall we lack a defender who can pass (Robinson is the closest), and in a 4-5-1/4-4-3/4-4-2 we lack a central attacker who is mobile and can reliably control the ball and hold it up. I’m not sure that 3-5-2 is too complicated, especially if they train to it and play it week in week out. It’s the limited personnel (which we have to live with) and the constant fiddling with line ups which is our Achilles heel. I like 3-5-2, but if we don’t play that I would go 4-5-1 turning to 4-3-3 when we are going forward and with Freeman at 10 (injuries permitting):

Smithies
    Furlong. Ned. Hall. Robinson
    Scowen
    Luongo
    Pavel. Freeman. Shodipo
    ????

QPR999, QPR Oslo and rangercol like this.
  19. QPR Oslo

I'd have thought that by now the players should be getting used to playing 3 5 2, and we have got that working quite well for us earlier this season. I think we have lost a lot by not using Pawel as the RWB. Even though he seemed to have lost the confidence to beat a man, he still contributed well to our better passing football going forward, and is a good accurate crosser of the ball which we really miss now. He was certainly much better defensively than Cousins. With Baptiste behind Pawel as a right sided CB we weren't as open on the right side of our defense as we have looked the last 2 games. Up front I'm still waiting for Ollie to give Smith and Sylla a start together, but they will need supply from out wide.

20. rangercol

That's the problem though...........who from?