1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR v Aston Villa

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Nov 18, 2017.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

League action returns this weekend with QPR taking on Aston Villa at Loftus Road in what is expected to be another tricky test in the very competitive Sky Bet Championship.

With the next international break not until March, the domestic season very much takes priority for the foreseeable future and the R’s know how important this part of the campaign is with six games in 30 days.

Before the international break Ollie’s men toppled the table’s top two teams, with victories over Wolves and Sheffield United before falling well below the high standards set this season when we were well beaten by Nottingham Forest at the City Ground.

We find ourselves in 15th position in the table but just six points behind our visitors who are in the final play-off position – highlighting just how tight the league is.

Aston Villa’s undoubted aim for this season is to gain promotion. Villa have one of the top budgets in the league and the hierarchy at Villa Park have made it clear that promotion is their primary target.

They certainly have the players and manager to perform well in the League. Steve Bruce has got teams promoted from the Championship on four occasions and knows the division extremely well.

The Villans fell short of their target last season, finishing in 13th position and therefore addressed some key positions in the summer.

Former Chelsea and England defender John Terry was signed on a free transfer, Ahmed Elmohamady and Robert Snodgrass were both purchased to play down the right-hand-side and Joshua Onomah came in on loan from Spurs to operate just behind the striker.

After a slow start to the campaign, Villa have really picked up in recent weeks. They have won five of their last eight games but were somewhat surprisingly defeated by Sheffield Wednesday at Villa Park just before the international break.

Villa’s success has been built through mainly having a solid defence. Terry (who will miss this game through injury) has formed a strong partnership with James Chester with only Sheffield United Cardiff and Middlesbrough conceding less goals.

They have scored 22 goals in the League, which is three more than QPR with Albert Adomah and Conor Hourihane joint top goal-scorers having found the net five times.

Rangers will be looking for some revenge on the Midlands outfit having narrowly lost both games 1-0 last season.

Last Time Out
    Aston Villa 1-0 QPR - 4th April 2017

QPR were undone by an early Jonathan Kodjia goal in a game that the R’s certainly should have come away with something.

A slick Villa move saw the ball break to Kodjiia who fired in from the edge of the box.

QPR dominated the final thirty minutes of the game but could not force through an equaliser.

Stats

• Aston Villa have scored nine goals in their last five away matches
    • Only three teams (Cardiff, Wolves and Sheffield United) have picked up more points at home than QPR
    • Four of the last ten league games between the two clubs have involved four or more goals

Manager Viewpoints
    Ian Holloway: “I expect them to be very similar to Nottingham Forest so this week we have had to go over the issues I felt we had at the City Ground. Villa have got a very, very good manager on their hands as well as a very good squad. They should be up there fighting for promotion this time.”

Steve Bruce: "QPR are a good side and have beaten the top two sides. They will be up and at us and will have plenty of heart and desire. Always a tough game."

Team News
    QPR: A late decision will be made on Massimo Luongo with the midfielder only returning from international duty on Friday. Nedum Onuoha (hamstring), James Perch (knee) and Grant Hall (tendonitis) remain out.

Aston Villa: Scott Hogan (stomach) is unavailable whilst Jonathan Kodjia (ankle) is also out after injuring himself on international duty. Robert Snodgrass faces a late fitness check. John Terry is also sidelined after breaking his metatarsal prior to the international break.

Referee
    Darren England: Has awarded four penalties in 15 games this season. He was also one of the linesman in our victory over Derby in the play-off final. ( 4th from left holding the yellow flag. )

And on a brighter note ...

kiwiqpr, QPR Oslo, QPRski and 7 others like this.
  2. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Very well presented, Nines.
    Hope were up for it.

kiwiqpr and QPR999 like this.
  3. goldcoast hoop

goldcoast hoop Well-Known Member

Great page 9s

QPR999 likes this.
  4. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

Erstwhile children's TV presenter and mad as a box of frogs, Floella Benjamin is a Villa Fan. Since disappearing from our screens and only being wheeled out for such high brow events as Pointless Celebrities, Benjamin spends her time convinced she is a small village in Lincolnshire.

And suspiciously light in his trainers, fiddler Nigel Kennedy.
    upload_2017-11-18_7-0-21.jpeg

5. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

David Cameron is also an Aston Villa fan, loves the claret and blue but is disappointed they no longer play at Upton Park

6. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

I have an irrational hatred for Villa, well mainly their fans, so I really hope we win today. Of course now they have John Terry in their ranks they become even easier to dislike.

Hoopington and Didley Squat like this.
  7. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Prince William is also a Villa fan ...

as is Tom Hanks ...

8. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nicely done 999's.......

Hope the R's do an equally nice job on Villa today...

There's a number of Irish R's gone over for the game today, sadly I wasn't able to make the trip but with them in spirit......

Up The R's

QPRski, Didley Squat and QPR999 like this.
  9. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Just to be clear
    A WIN IS ****ING NON NEGOTIABLE

10. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

As I'm no longer going, you're guaranteed that mate. We lose when I go.

11. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Clive's preview on LFW's.....

A great weekend of **** football is always preferable to a **** weekend of great football, and so while the standard was almost as non-existent as the goals scored I did quite enjoy the heavy slog of the World Cup qualifying play-offs last weekend.

The scandalous officiating in the first leg of the Northern Ireland game, the tactical collapse in the second Republic of Ireland match, no Italy at the World Cup since 1958… zero quality in any of it, but loads of context that made it strangely compelling. Much like the Championship in fact, where many of the players involved reside.

Read the rest here......https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/footb...925/qpr-face-tough-test-of-progress-–-preview

12. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

13. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Mackie in instead of Washington, Cilla or Wheeler is very strange in my book. Perhaps he has been buzzing in training? Hope he proves me wrong and scores a couple.

SW Ranger and QPR Oslo like this.
  14. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

The others can’t clap anywhere near as vigorously.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  15. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Agree entirely. I'd like to see Smith and Sylla given a start together myself, but I'd also much prefer Pawel to Cousins to better provide bullets for them, or any front 2 come to that, and defend.

16. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

It had slipped my attention that they have Christopher Samba these days.

17. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Yeah! I am a bit concerned about who is going to put the ball on Dr Who's loaf.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  18. QPR Oslo

Villa just came close and have looked the most dangerous so far. We are playing a lot long to Smith who is up against Samba. Battle of the giants.

19. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

HOOPSAAAAA

20. QPR Oslo

Mackeeeee