1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

QPR TO HOST SAUDI SUPER CUP

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by kiwiqpr, Jul 23, 2015.

1. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

QPR TO HOST SAUDI SUPER CUP
    Al Nassr Club and Al Hilal Club to lock horns in W12 on Wednesday 12th August ...
    • QPR's Loftus Road to host the Saudi Super Cup
    • Al Hilal Club and Al Nassr to face each other on Wednesday, 12th August
    • Tickets now on sale
    LOFTUS ROAD will play host to the Saudi Super Cup between Al Nassr Club and Al Hilal Club on Wednesday 12th August 2015.
    The clash in W12, which will kick-off at 7pm, will be the first-ever Super Cup staged outside of Saudi and is sure to be a keenly-contested match between two of the most famous rivals from the Pro League.
    Tickets for the fixture, which will see current ALJ Saudi League Champions Al Nassr go head-to-head with current Saudi Kings Cup holders Al Hilal, will be priced from £25.00.
    Tickets are now available to purchase from the QPR Box Office by clicking HERE or by calling +44 (0)8444 777007.
    Hospitality tickets in the W12 Suite will be priced £400.00+VAT. To enquire, contact [email protected]
    For CClub and VIP Boxes, please email [email protected]
    Supporters should note that there will be no alcohol sales on the night.

2. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

also no uncovered females
    gays
    women driving themselves to the stadium
    or
    Christians
    will be allowed entrance to loftus road

imaz will be there for the half time stoning

UTRs, KentGaz, ThaiCanary and 2 others like this.
  3. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Someone mentioned on LFW that Israel were once due to play at Loftus Road and people complained to the point it was cancelled. Bizarre, but where are they now for this?

4. Sutfol

Sutfol Well-Known Member

It's all about the money

5. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

I've been considering writing a thread about our owners' financial interests, e.g. Lakshmi Mittal's tax status and where his money lies, etc. I actually think we're in the hands of people who are quite morally bankrupt. This "Super Cup" doesn't exactly help their case.

Anyone up for a demonstration?

6. Bwood_Ranger

You start it and I'll meet you there

7. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

You say that in jest but I'll look into it.

8. Bwood_Ranger

Good luck to you if you really fancy it but what would you protest about?

9. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

So we do not play Dundee United at HQ because we are saving the surface, but allow two other teams to play there "in season".

I undersatn our club has to make money...sorry that is a fact...but why do they want to play here and not in Saudi Arabia?

10. KooPeeArr

KooPeeArr Well-Known Member

Morally bankrupt for staging a game? Organised protests?

Can someone explain to the uninitiated like me what the issue is with this match?

11. Bwood_Ranger

We hate the Arabs

12. KooPeeArr

What I thought.

Bwood_Ranger likes this.
  13. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

why will there be no alcohol sales during this game
    did the Saudis pay more to dictate that rule

14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Depends on your view of sports and politics. In this case they are clearly very closely related as nothing happens in Saudi Arabia independent of the State - i.e the ruling family and the medieval theocracy.

So if you agree that Saudi football is a state sponsored activity, it comes down to your view of the state. It's vile of course, too many examples of it's treatment of its own citizens to repeat, but I'll just remind you of the case of Raif Badawi, the independent minded blogger who is dragged out of his prison cell to be flogged at regular intervals. For expresing an opinion.

Whether that makes Mittal, Fernandes & co 'morally bankrupt' for accepting their cash I'm not so sure. If it does all western governments are in the same position, as are all of us for using Saudi oil and filling the coffers of these ****ers. So I'm not too wound up about it, someone will stage this match, we might as well get the cash. I suspect that there will be some kind of protest though, probably nothing to do with QPR supporters.

Then we could get philosophical about it (sorry, I'm getting into this now). AWJM once posted something on the lines of 'I don't think there is a difference between right and wrong (or might have been 'good and evil')' This was such an arresting statement I asked him to expand at least 3 times, but got no response (this was at the time he was whinging about no one responding to his posts......). In the absence of an explanation I'll assume that this makes him a moral relativist - i.e. societies, cultures, personal circumstances, beliefs, historical era etc etc must all be taken into account and essentially everything goes because morality is relative, not absolute. If this is right his criticsm of Mittal et al is mistaken, as they may be operating within their personal moral code (which at the same time be abhorrent to me, with my personalised moral code), and exhibiting an significant amount of integrity. Relativism is a very tempting (initially makes you feel 'liberal' and tolerant) ideology, but is of course a swamp, preventing critcism and allowing spurious justifications of everything - from slavery to the Holocaust. Looks like AWJM has changed his mind about it, in the doubtful event that I interpreted his original meaning correctly.

15. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

I think you need to find out the original quote Stan because although there is little difference between right and wrong, because it is very dependant on your own and of the surrounding general ethos of right and wrong in each individual situation. The extremes (but not the mid ground) of good and evil are much easier to define.

In this case it may be right to accept the money for the match, because we need the cash... and unless shown otherwisey, none of the players have committed any nationally demonstrated crime. In isolation I do not think staging this match is wrong (playing on our surface does seem to be at least inconsistent). I see a corrolary with the condemenation of Paul Simon, for interacting with South Africa during the Graceland/apartheid times...guilt by association

But if you get to the bigger issue..The Saudis feel they are right to impose the restraints on free thinkers/gays/women in their society, because it is within their law. Therefore they do not think they are wrong or evil. However it is also within my right to think their society is abhorrent and wrong....which I think demonstrates the right or wrong are completely dependant on your view point.

However flogging brutalising and killing people for simply giving their view is not just wrong but evil
    I am now going into a dark room to get my head round what I consider evil

I am struggling with the idea/concept now of "why and when is it wrong to kill people"...thank you Stan....I should have been working

16. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

I have no ultimate interest in philosophy. You have misquoted and misunderstood me but I have no need to get into any pointless conversation about it.
    Action is significant. You can talk about these things until you're blue in the face. Regardless of what theories and philosophies we believe in, what we do is more significant.

17. KooPeeArr

OK, I'll rephrase, why have the relative moral standpoints of this forum moved so decisively between the time we were due to play a friendly against a Saudi team a matter of days ago to the moment the club announces it's hosting a game between two Saudi sides?

Are we going to start calling for banning their national team from international competitions? How about Russia, North Korea and Iran?

I'm still just a bit baffled.

18. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

I guess Edgware Road will be empty on the night...:grin:

19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

As it happens I haven't misquoted you. See post 2 on this thread.

http://www.not606.com/threads/joey-...city-at-the-oxford-union.253941/#post-6214285

As I said in my post above I asked you to elaborate on several occasions, but you declined to respond, I have provided a potential explanation above, highlighting it as such, so I have hardly misrepresented you. Now's your chance....I could also ask if you don't think beliefs and ideas are significant, how do you judge your hugely significant actions are right or wrong (sorry, getting a bit complex now)? And how do you pontificate on the morals of others?

No problem, I was just curious. If you think discussion is pointless and presumably holding a placard and shouting a slogan or punching someone is more 'significant' I guess it wouldn't have been very illuminating anyway.

20. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Sheperds Bush Market had better stock up on suitcases !