1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

QPR helps Grenfell Community

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Ranger4ever, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Ranger4ever

Ranger4ever Well-Known Member

QPR999 likes this.
  2. Ranger4ever

Ranger4ever Well-Known Member

Oops - darn auto correct, title should read QPR helps Grenfell Community

3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Big and very positive article about the club and Les and Game4Grenfell by Henry Winter in the Times the other day as well. Apparently coaches from us, Fulham, Brentford and Chelsea have been laying on sessions for the kids under the Westway all summer. Good stuff.

4. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Fixed.

Great cause, I hope it's a huge success.

5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Interview on Radio 4 with Les and Alan Shearer about Game4Grenfell this morning. Good stuff, measured statements, game is about showing that people do care.

No matter how good or bad QPRs performance on the pitch this season, the club's response to this local tragedy is something to remember and be proud of.

Les and Al think that Mo Farah will last the 90 minutes but are unsure of his ball skills.

rangercol, UTRs, NorwayRanger and 3 others like this.
  6. KentGaz

KentGaz Well-Known Member

The game is live on sky 1

7. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Yes, the club has done well on this. I would have liked to have gone along, but I'm away. Sounds like there might be some music too, should be a good day.

8. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

News over here:-

Celebrity benefit soccer match to help London fire victims
    Mumford & Sons frontman Marcus Mumford, actor Jamie Dornan among those who played Saturday to sold-out crowd
    The Associated Press Posted: Sep 02, 2017 3:29 PM ET Last Updated: Sep 02, 2017 3:29 PM ET

please log in to view this image

Team Ferdinand, from left, singer Marcus Mumford, presenter Ben Shephard, athlete Mo Farah, actor Damian Lewis, DJ Spoony and soccer player Peter Crouch celebrate after Farah scores the first goal of the match during Game4Grenfell, a charity football match to raise funds for Grenfell Tower survivors in London Saturday. (The Associated Press)

Stars from the entertainment and sports worlds played a soccer match in London to benefit victims of the high-rise apartment building fire that claimed more than 80 lives in June.

The game was played Saturday before a sellout crowd at Loftus Road stadium, a kilometre and a half from the burned-out Grenfell Tower.

Running legend Mo Farah, Mumford & Sons frontman Marcus Mumford, actor Jamie Dornan, singer Olly Murs and Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho were among those participating in the celebrity match.

Homeland actor Damian Lewis said he grew up in the neighbourhood and played soccer near the tower every week for more than two decades. Lewis says it was important to let people affected by the fire "know we haven't forgotten."

Ticket proceeds were earmarked for a Grenfell victims fund.

© The Associated Press, 2017
    please log in to view this image

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/soccer-match-benefit-london-fire-1.4273472

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  9. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

He looks good with that badge on his shirt. Shall we ask him to stay?
    IMG_0181.JPG

qprbeth, rangercol, UTRs and 3 others like this.
  10. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

I'd be happy for him to coach.

11. Devonhoop

Devonhoop Well-Known Member

Just finished watching a recording of the game from earlier and am surprised that there isn't more on this thread about how well the hierarchy at the club have done to put this together for the community. Looked like a very good attendance, something to put a smile on some faces if only for a few hours. Great reception for the firefighters and the residents who played, great touch. Sir Mo has a bit of energy to burn!
    Fair play to the club, we don't appear to agree with a lot of what they do but today they excelled! Who knows, they may have pulled in some new supporters off the back of this.

12. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Yes great to see the Club supporting the victims of that tragedy, and it getting good publicity on Sky News anyway.

13. NigsyHoops

NigsyHoops Well-Known Member

Devon, agree with this 100%.

14. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

Great stuff from the club. I thoroughly enjoyed it there yesterday.
    I guess there is not much on the forums about it because it is hard to moan about.

15. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

I thought this might have had more attention on this board. I watched it on the box as well and it was a great success. Loved seeing Clint Hill back and to be honest I'd be giving him a deal for the rest of the season. It's a shame some of our fans felt the need to boo Jamie Redknaop every time he touched the ball, I mean ffs a) it's a charity match and b) it makes no bloody sense, idiots! Great to see Les, Andy Sinton, Andy Impey, Marc Bircham, Kevin Gallen and Clint all on the pitch at the same time. Well attended as well, I was expecting more empty seats than occupied seats.

If anyone wants to donate £3 you just text GRENFELL to 70007.

Devonhoop likes this.
  16. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Well done Les, Andy etc. QPR is very much all about the community, and is becoming more and more so.

17. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

My daughter and niece both went and had a really great time. Very light-hearted and, when required, very poignant. I was still in Devon yesterday otherwise would have gone as well. Official attendance 17,468, a great effort from all concerned, especially our regularly criticised hierarchy, they got this one spot-on...<ok>

Steelmonkey and QPR Oslo like this.
  18. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Front page of the Sunday Times sports section and big, very positive, write up inside.

I didn't realise that in addition to opening the ground as a centre for donations at the time, and putting on coaching sessions with the other west London clubs throughout the summer, we provided counselling, or access to counselling, for some of the victims too.

Tony has had more than his fair share of disaster management, but he got this one right. Top stuff.

UTRs, QPR Oslo, WBA2_QPR3 and 4 others like this.
  19. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Agree with all of this.
    It makes a very pleasant change for the club to get something so right. They are rightly getting praise across the board since their initial response to this terrible tragedy, culminating in a very entertaining and well presented day yesterday. So pleased with how well it was attended too.

The booing of Jamie Redknapp was totally pathetic and shows what morons some of our fans really are!! He has no connection with the club, other than his dad and he was a very, very good player. What ****ers some of our fans are!

Well done Rangers...........you made us proud!

20. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

To keep this good communal feeling going, please don't read any of my posts on the politics thread.