1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

PROS and CONS of wingbacks

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by saffaspur, Jun 14, 2011.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Fletcher played 90 minutes in Man Utd's last league game against Blackpool, there's no point in having lots of players who can keep the ball in midfield if you've got nobody to win it back in the first place or hold it up from the front and Valencia was absolutely dire defensively.

Man Utd had poor possession precisely BECAUSE they had nobody up front to hold the ball up.
    It was totally one sided because of Ferguson's poor team selection and awful tactics.
    He did nothing to deal with Barca's game at all, offered his defence no protection and there was no available out ball.

2. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

Choosing Giggs fullstop was bizarre considering the lid had just blown off on his private life. You cannot tell me Giggs was focused on football only on the run up to that final. I also feel Scholes was miffed at not starting, his ball retention would have helped. I understand the risk of him getting carded...at least he would have put a challenge in, which is more than can be said of the indiscriminate Welsh shagger!

3. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

over cautious from SAF resulted in this balls up at wembley for united..therefore he must have lacked confidence and belief in his team....a rareity for SAF

4. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

He didn't really have much choice and he failed to admit to his own mistakes, from what I can remember.
    He was essentially saying that you had no chance.
    I disagree.

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Barca played their A game because Man Utd were set up to allow them to.

Who was supposed to be dealing with their central midfield dominance?
    Giggs and Carrick?
    Surely even Anderson would've offered more resistance.
    Who was supposed to do the donkey work?

You may have been better off picking Rooney as a lone striker, with Giggs on the left, Nani/Valencia on the right and Park ostensibly in the middle with Carrick and Fletcher/Anderson/Scholes, but paying close attention to Messi.
    This would allow a late introduction of Berbatov, Hernandez and whichever winger wasn't selected, too.
    The risk would've been Rooney's temper and possibly Scholes' tackling, if he was in the side.