1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe 2017

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jun 2, 2017.

1. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

please log in to view this image

2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

If Enable doesn't win this I'll be amazed. Even Gosden is telling Oppenheimer not to bother with Cracksman as he knows he can't beat the filly. She should be priced 4/9.

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

.. and wins

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Did he actually say that Oddy? I don't think Cracksman will run unless, for any reason, Enable is unable to run in which case it would enable Cracksman to win the Arc without having to exert himself.

5. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I'm reading between the lines Ron, but all this nonsense about a 4YO campaign and not wanting a G1 penalty sounds to me like Gosden has told him Enable is unbeatable.

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With all the question marks /statements about the intentions for many of those still engaged, I wonder how many will turn up. I suppose there will always be someone to pick up the place money and no doubt some owners who thought they had little chance of prize money are licking their lips in anticipation of more confirmed defections

7. stick

stick Bumper King

The race is pretty much disintegrating Ron. I just wish I had listened to you earlier in the season.
    ENABLE will go off a very worthy odds on favourite.
    As you go down the list of entries you just keep saying...wont run, wont run, may as well not run!

Ron likes this.
  8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If I were the owner of Bateel, with the race cutting up, I'd be thinking about supplementing this 3yo Dubawi filly. Clearly an improving filly and she obviously goes well over the C&D in soft ground

11. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

What will that cost Ron?

12. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

I think that you will find that Bateel is a five year old. I would not get carried away with the form as there were no Group 1 horses in the race, but she beat those that were there. As I think it is quite possible there will not be a maximum field this year, they should run her.

The Prix Foy winner Dschingis Secret already has an Arc entry so I guess he will put in an appearance. Curious as to the name, I Googled it and it appears to be the German variation of Mongol emperor Genghis Khan, so a right handed course obviously to his benefit. <laugh>

Just a quick note on the topography at Chantilly: the bottom bend (near the Grandes Écuries château) is the lowest point of the track (and therefore becomes the softest) from where they run uphill until the ground levels out for the final furlong. Found set the course record in last year’s Arc on good ground.

As the winner’s prize for the Vermeille was €199,990 I expect that the Sheikh that owns Bateel can afford the €120,000 to add her to the Arc.

Cyclonic likes this.
  13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Off to the Arc this year to see Enable. Never been to Chantilly. Anyone else from here going?

floridaspearl likes this.
  14. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Smashing bistro/brasserie just across from the SNCF station!

Ron likes this.
  15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We will be driving Kenny and staying in a hotel Saturday night about 10km from the course. I assume we'll drive early to the course Sunday morning unless there is a better alternative. Any advice appreciated

16. redcat1

redcat1 Well-Known Member

Ed Chamberlain has tweeted it's to be shown live on ITV main channel

17. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Cannot be of any real help. Only been to Chantilly once for the 'Prix du Jockey Club' which was not too busy. A friend was at the 'Trials Day' and the 'Arc' at Chantilly last year (he is a Longchamp regular) and told me he was pleasantly surprised by the temporary facilities. If I recall correctly the only advice he gave me was to arrive at the track fairly early. Don't think the entrance price will be as reasonable as when the great race took place at Longchamp; usually around 8 Euros or free through various methods. Race-cards and other literature was always available free but not sure if this is still the case.

Not too sure about the rail or bus services apart from the trains from Gare du Nord to Chantilly-Gouvieux. Once visited Senlis with my Mum and seem to recall there was a bus service to Chantilly.

Hope you have a great (and successful) time in/around Paris. As I am off to Koln in October my annual trip for 'Le Week-End International de L'Obstacle' at Auteuil will have to be missed this year but intend returning in 2018 for my favourite race meeting.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Ron likes this.
  18. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

I noticed on Arc Trials day that they had already marked out where all the sponsor and corporate marquees were going to be erected track side and last year Arc day was allegedly a 30,000 sell out, which would be seriously crowded. Given that only one road goes past the racecourse and Chantilly is not that big a town, I expect driving there will be a queuing nightmare. From the Chantilly-Gouvieux station, it is less than a mile walk to the racecourse entrance. It is 10 minutes from Creil by train and 25 minutes from Paris Nord (stops at Orry-la-Ville-Coye 6 minutes out) but there are not many services, so you would have to hope they laid on extra ones on Arc day. Chantilly is a stop on RER D but that is infrequent on Sunday.

On Arc Trials day the only viable train from Gare Du Nord was at 11:01. Arriving at 11:25, my plan was to go and pay to go in the main Château de Chantilly but there was some sort of vintage car event on and the grounds were full of marquees and old bangers, so I took a few photos from across the lake/moat and then walked past the Grandes Écuries château, along Chantilly High Street (typically old French), back past the station and to the course.

Clearly ITV have decided that paying the image rights money that France Galop want from broadcasters is going to be justified by audience figures and advertising revenue (mostly bookies’ adverts). We know that Channel 4 dropped their Arc coverage in their final year, leaving it to pay-per-view operators.

Ron likes this.
  19. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

What I forget to say, Ron, was that if you are definitely going to Chantilly on Arc day, get on the ticket website and buy your tickets. Last year was a sell out in advance, so do not show up on the day without tickets or you may not get in!

The ticketing site is here: http://www.billetterie.france-galop.com/uk/QPAT2017#reservation

You may need a lie down in a dark room after you see some of the prices – including €10 for the car park!

I will post a photo of Enable later so that you know what she looks like – as I was not in York racecourse when I took it, their image rights crackdown does not apply.

20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thanks QM. When I posted that I was going, the tickets had already been bought as an early birthday present. Yes I noticed the €10 for the car park on Arc day. Considering the Chantilly site said €2 for the car park on Sundays and Grand Prix that seems a bit steep. I think I saw some private car parks for €5 but whether it's worth it to save €5 is questionable. I think I'll have to have a look at where we are staying Saturday night and work it out from there. I reckon we will leave early Sunday am to have a look around