1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe 2018

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by QuarterMoonII, May 26, 2018.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Chantilly was very nice, easy to get to and good (quiet) places to stay nearby. The only Arcs I've seen live were the years of Danedream, Golden Horn and Enable

2. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Been to Chantilly once; the day Montjeu won the Prix du Jockey Club. Amazingly low amount of customers!

Jesus; if I had been at Longchamp the year Danedream won the 'Arc' I would have still been carousing around the Bars and Brasseries on Rue D'Auteuil until late on Monday!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes a bit more relaxed than Longchamp (on Arc day). I guess the crowds would be significantly smaller on non Arc days

4. bayernkenny

Pretty sure I read that the big race at Chantilly is the 'Prix de Diane'; possibly the second biggest 'flat' draw after the 'Arc'.

5. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Arc weekend now costs €30 each day, which is not too bad paying UK prices on Sunday when it is a card of Group 1 races. They may still do a cheaper two-day ticket as I got one last time it was at old Longchamp. When Qatar started sponsoring the Arc meeting, Arc Trials day was free but at Chantilly last year it was €10 and they are advertising that as the price this year.

You might be right about the Eurostar availability. I have been trying their website since May and it has returned no trains at all on any date from the 14th to the 17th. I have just been on it right before typing this and there is a service on 16th taking nearly four hours (08:31 GB – 13:12 FR) for £134 outbound (arrives too late anyway) but the last return service is £169 at 20:05, which would be viable but given that the travel time has nearly doubled, it is definitely a reduced service! So I would still be £300 out of pocket plus the £50 of petrol to drive to London and back.

bayernkenny likes this.
  6. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

When I went to the Prix de Diane, they had a ‘funfair’ set up on the infield and some French pop act on a stage and the place was absolutely packed, mostly with women with the kids. So I would say that it probably is the second biggest draw – and if one discounted the British and the Irish on Arc day, it would be the top French crowd (although kids get in for free). I think the Prix de Diane is marketed by the fashionistas so there is hardly anyone there for the racing – a bit like Royal Ascot.

Arc Trials day at Chantilly was as deserted as when it was at Longchamp. One of these days I will get around to going to the Prix Du Jockey Club...

Ron and bayernkenny like this.
  7. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

Study Of Man runs tomorrow at Deauville in preparation for the Irish Champion but it wont be a walk in the park. The 2nd and 3rd from the Jockey Club take him on again and the 1-2 from the G2 Eugene Adam. If hes to be a contender for Leopardstown and then the Arc he needs to have progressed past these types of horses so hopefully he has. Looks like it could be a typical French tactical affair but that shouldnt be an issue for him. Ultimately, ill be worried about the Arc if he isnt impressive here.

8. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Digressing, briefly. Sorry to hear that you have retired from international football! Change of 'kit' imminent from you? :emoticon-0112-wonde :emoticon-0100-smile

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45189109

9. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Enable out of York, will go to Kempton then on to the Arc according to todays Racing Post news.

10. As We Know

Horrendous from Study Of Man, wouldnt waste the money on plane ticket to Ireland.

Thankfully Paddy Power left the cashout unchanged.

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sea of Class won well today but it didn't tell me what I wanted to know, not being a particularly fast time. Always difficult to guess what a horse (or person) would have left if they had to keep up a stronger pace throughout

12. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Events at the Ebor meeting have seen predictable changes to the Arc market with the two three year old fillies winning so emphatically. Lah Ti Dar holds an Arc entry but Sea Of Class will have to be supplemented.

5/1 Enable, Sea Of Class
    8/1 Cracksman, Crystal Ocean
    10/1 Lah Ti Dar
    12/1 Poet’s Word, Roaring Lion
    20/1 Study Of Man
    25/1 Waldgeist, Capri, Forever Together, Neufbosc, Waldlied, Soul Stirring

Without any fanfare, Enable has been given an entry in the Prix Vermeille, with the 27 other entries including last year’s winner Bateel, seven from Ballydoyle including Magic Wand, Hydrangea, Magical and Forever Together as well as Lah Ti Dar and Sea Of Class. I will not be surprised if Francis-Henri Graffard’s filly is the only one of those I named that shows up...

Still happy with Enable ante post – I think Sea Of Class likes to hear her hooves rattle.

13. As We Know

That seems like a bit of an overreaction to Sea Of Class beating Coronet and Horseplay a couple of lengths but understandable given the doubts about most of the market. Cracksman going straight there from the Prince Of Wales.... Enable not run since last years renewal, the 3yo French colt fluffing his lines and Poets Word unlikely to run. Sea Of Class and and Crystal Ocean are about the only two looking solid and progressive but neither are superstars. Lah Ti Dar single figures after winning a listed race getting weight from a mid 90s horse.

bayernkenny and Doalittle like this.
  14. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

When was the last time that the Arc market at the end of August did not feature a Ballydoyle inmate at less than 25/1? Must be some time last century!

Gosden obviously has a line to Sea Of Class through Coronet, whom he already nominated for a return to Champions’ Day. If Enable is more than two lengths better than Coronet, she just needs to get to Longchamp fully ready to race.

I would not want to be on Poet’s Word ante post as he wants fast ground. I do not see Roaring Lion showing up as he prefers quick ground and probably does not stay. Word on Racing UK was that the St Leger had been mentioned for Lah Ti Dar. I guess that is up to the owners. Forever Together could be over-priced as there will almost certainly be three or four Coolmore runners on the day and she did win a Classic and get beaten in the last five yards of another.

In a mediocre season like this one, there could be a lot of also-rans taking a chance in the first running back at the ‘new’ ParisLongchamp, so avoiding traffic trouble could be key for the hold up horses.

15. bayernkenny

Had my first bet yesterday since the 2018 Cheltenham Gold Cup; La Ti Dar each way. I only hope this does not drag me into my usual scattergun punting on major races.

16. stick

stick Bumper King

Leger far more likely I fear

17. As We Know

Lah Ti Dar not running in Leger, they said few days ago Vermeille then Arc, cant blame them. Not sure there is much around to give Lah Ti Dar and Sea Of Class the weight, on fast ground youd fancy Sea Of Class, soft ground Lah Ti Dar.

bayernkenny likes this.
  18. stick

stick Bumper King

I am surprised. I thought Gosdens language meant a definite leaning toward the Leger. Both impressive at York but its a class hike for Lah Ti Dar to go to the Arc in my opinion. Sea OF Class whatever the going for me.

19. As We Know

Apparently it was Dettori who was very keen on the Leger as you would be when you already have Cracksman and Enable to choose between.

Im leaning towards Sea Of Class now as well, even though the form on paper isnt good enough, she looks top class the way the she travels and quickens and getting better all the time but id be worried if it turned up soft, just as likely to turn up firm so well see.

The Vermeille will tell us more about Lah Ti Dar up in class, shes 11/8 fav just now and doesnt look like much to fear, Bateel if the ground is soft.

20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The Arc, once looking as though we could be short of "good'uns" (with Cracksman a possible defection and Enable possibly not making it) is beginning to look very interesting