1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Preseason Assessment

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by blukyt, Jul 25, 2019.

1. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts on how our preseason is going. Which players are grabbing your attention? Who are you willing to give a chance to be in the first team squad for the upcoming season? Who do you think wee need to let go asap? Are there any systemic changes you think we can try to implement?

My assessment is that we are still some way off obviously in defence. Goes without saying really. There is a lack of cohesion and composure when we come under any kind of pressure. Once the opposition get beyond our outfield pressing we look in shambles at the back. As far as I am concerned we should be looking to recruit our club captain (CB). An organiser. We have experienced players that aren't clever defensively. For me this is most important part of the team that needs fixing. I actually see Holding as this player potential for us in the future. But we need this player now to play alongside Sokratis or Holding (when fully fit).
    We need to get Tierney in. Kolasinac is just not good enough. I would happily have him as back up and Monreal as 3rd choice and spare CB in a back 3.
    As we are strapped for cash we could make do with Mustafi and AMN backing up Bellerin. Jenkinson can be moved on.

MF needs energy and pace. Willock for me has been quite impressive and making a case for himself. Would be interesting to see what a pairing with Torreira would look like. Xhaka doesn't fill me with confidence. He's too slow on the ball. We cannot afford the mistakes he makes with the defence we have. Ceballos could do what Santi used to do for us. What Wilshere was supposed to do for us. I would like to see a more dynamic MF and I think he can give us that. Of the kids, only Willock looks ready. Olayinka and Burton have done OK but not ready.
    Nelson has disappointed for me. I expected to see a mature player in preseason, but he has played like a youth player still. I fear he might not make it at Arsenal. Mhiki NEEDS to be gotten rid of. He just doesn't fit with us. We are stuck with Ozil but I would be more comfortable with Ceballos. Not sure if we can have both in the same line up. Ozil will have to prove himself 300K a week a not. He has looked pretty good in preseason.

A goal scoring wing forward would be top things off nicely. I love Iwobi but we need more efficiency on the wings. If we can get Zaha or Everton, with Iwobi as backup. I would also give Iwobi runs in #10 position. This for me is his position.
    Laca and Auba will be dangerous this season. I am confident about this. Saka has impressed. Nketiah should be kept and given a chance. He looks hungry. Looks like a player yearning for chance. Lets let him show us what he's got. He will score goals.

2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Some good results beating Bayern, comfortably beating Fiorentina and a draw against Real Madrid.

Yeah for me Willock looks the player most likley to get increased gametime this Season.
    He was very impressive in the first half against madrid and its an area of the field we lack quality in. (although Cabellos has now been confirmed)

Fullback positions are very important to Emery's system. Hopefully the Tierney deal gets sorted in the next week (although I do actually think Kolasinac is a decent player)

AMN is a good young player but the sooner we can get Bellerin fit the better.

3. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

Ceballos is a welcome signing.

Just seen a quote with Unai saying we are focusing on getting stronger with a back 4. In that case they better get Tierney over the line.

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Really impressed with Nketiah, Willock and Saka. Don't think Nelson had the pre-season we all hoped, and he might go out on loan again. But there's some really promising young players coming through into the first team.

Ozil looked sharp too and hungry, so that is a positive. Maybe finally the pleas for him to pull his finger out have been heard.

Defence badly needs sorting out though. We simply can't go into this season with Mustafi and Sokratis as our first choice pairing. Not that they are bad defenders but both are prone to errors, Mustafi more so than Sokratis. We need a massive upgrade there.

gooner4ever likes this.
  5. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

Just wanna shout out Nelson. He looked very good against Lyon. Really like what I saw from. Willock is seriously making a good case to be a starter. Well done to them.