1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Premiership club Swansea City make first signing!

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by DragonPhilljack, Jun 1, 2011.

1. bigkidderz

bigkidderz Well-Known Member

Ctrl Freak. With the greatest respect, the guy isn't injury prone. Craig Beattie is injury prone - back one week, ankle the next, hamstring the next week, calf after that. Bodde has had a recurring injury mainly because previous managers have brought him back too quickly. If done properly, he will make a full recovery. He didn't have an injury plagued past before he joined us. He did his knee once, the subsequent 'injuries' are only due to not allowing him to heal properly. He's been training with the first team for a while now and will rest his knee over the summer; he'll be reintroduced in pre-season and gain match fitness ready for the start of the PL season.

I hope he makes a full recovery. But you can bet your ass he won't be in for a few months, out for a few weeks, play for a month, out for a month. If his injury reoccurs this season, it's immediately a season ending injury and he will probably retire, sadly.

2. JackLifeLynch

JackLifeLynch Member

Too Right The midfield attack with Ferrie and Dobbie will be amazing! both having unique styles! and I hope Dyer gets more comfortable with his shooting boots on because there are going to be pin point accurate through balls and all sorts going on! i can just see some more beautiful football for next season!

I'm so excited to see some wild goals especially if Bodde is back at his greatest!. I only hope now that Brendan can score a couple of quick forwards with the "glue foot" ball control that the Swans have! talk about a strike force!

Who's next ??

3. GforceJack

GforceJack Member

Have to say if the knee holds up through pre season and say 3 competative games it will probably be a injury we can draw a line under and he will be back to his best, I think if it doesnt 'go' early on it wont 'go' at all and lets not forget his one year contract is performance related so we have nothing to lose and lots to gain.

4. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Jacks just listen to bigkidderz, he's on the money regarding this, I too have watched him train, and there is no sign, that there was ever an injury, we have back with us the greatest centre midfielder to ever put on a Swansea shirt, we will rock next season!..............
    please log in to view this image

5. KizzySwan

KizzySwan Member

As other people have already mentioned, the key this time is that he hasn't been rushed back. Having a good pre-season behind him will be invaluable.

Why would you not want to take a chance on him, especially with a 1 year contract and pay as you play deal. If fit and hungry, it will be like making a new signing.

6. premier-jack

premier-jack Member

Well put, I for one am chuffed to bits he has committed to us

7. Nottage Jack

Nottage Jack Member

One of the best to put on the shirt....no doubt about it.
    I hope he really can make it back to the form we know and love.

STID

8. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

I still haven't forgiven him for playing us off against Derby. As far as I am concerned he owes the Club big time so let's hope he can repay the debt.

9. leetrunds10

leetrunds10 Member

Loves it when he scores against Burnley and looks at Clarke Carlisle as if he is going to kill him and puts his hand on his hand to take a breather he is like a footballing Roy Keane !

10. Scottswan

Scottswan Active Member

Ferrie Bodde is easily the most complete central midfielder I´ve ever seen play for us, the first time I saw him I was completely gobsmacked, and couldn´t believe a player with that level of skill and composure was playing for an "unfashionable" team in League One. If Tate can step up from League Two to be involved in a Championship team which wins promotion, then (if fully fit) Bodde is going to set the Premiership alight next season... even if it´s only by scoring a few pearlers!

I really can´t wait to see him put his foot on the ball, look up, before pinging it 70 yards to an advancing Sinclair or Dyer!

11. ivoralljack

ivoralljack Well-Known Member

A fit Bodde in top form could be the key to us staying up. He oozes quality and, if he does strike form early, I'm wondering if Buck might want to offer him a contract extension sooner rather than later - don't want another Pratley saga.

12. hammersmithjack

hammersmithjack New Member

Greta news. We would regret not giving him Bodde a chance and seeing him star elsewhere after all he's been through with us. And he owes us, I know there's no sentimentality in football, but he knows that and will give his best if fit. And his best is very good. Personally I think a 2 year contract with second year to be cancelled end of year 1 if he didn't sustain fitness or play a minimum number of games would have been another option for us - so if he returns to great form he could even be a transfer asset before going out of contract. He is approaching 30 but having missed 2-3 seasons could be considerd motivated and fit enough to play to 35 - so I don't think its like giving someone a final contract just to see if they can last one more season or not. If he returns to form he will give us something different attacking through midfield and take the pressure off Dyer and Sinclair as at the moment everyone assumes we attack down the flanks. Q. Now if we get Graham too who else do we need? Another defender? Would Taylor have been able to hold off Readings right winger as Tate wasn't able to? Was our defending at corners so bad at Wembley or was it because we conceded so many corners?

13. Doey

Doey Member

Bigkidderz and DPJ have got this entire subject nailed lads.

As far as I can tell, and i'm not entirely qualified to judge, he has looked at full fitness for some time! The fact that this season we coped without him has just given more time for him to rest and rebuild his knee. I think this time it's been done in a far more professional way, and hopefully we'll see the best of him again.

14. ivoralljack

Hammersmith, Another defender? Too damn right another defender!! Preferably one who can dominate in the air and put a stop to all those cheap goals that we keep conceding.

Every manager of every club in the entire Football League will tell you that conceding goals from set pieces is the cardinal sin for any defence. Yet we have made a habit of it. Our defending from corners WAS bad at Wembley; it was bad during the season, the season before that and before that.

The problem is that it's not only the set piece that causes us problems, it's any well flighted ball into our box. Teams know this and attack us there. The Premiership is full of skilful players who will exploit this with deadly effect and I shudder to think of the score lines if this problem is not addressed.

People can point to our decent defensive record last season but this is misleading. Was our great defence responsible, or the fact that the team as a whole retained possession to limit the number of strikes on our goal? I suspect the latter. The same argument applied during Sousa's tenure. He recognised from the Martinez years that taken in isolation, the midfield could cope; the strikers could do a job; but the defence, left to it's own devices patently could not. That is why he instigated the style of play that he did - he wanted, needed, to keep the pressure away from our back four. Dorus's clean sheets were as much a testimony to the rest of the team, starting with the luckless Pintado up front, as they were to his own ability.

So let's look at the job in hand. We are now in the Premiership where we will be facing the cream of British football. Our days of 60% possession are numbered. Probably, that figure will be reversed in most of the fixtures we play. This means that our defenders are going to have to earn their corn - big time. Are they up to it? Imo, absolutely not. We don't have pace or height at the back and we do not have the money to buy players who have both. I'll settle for height, though, because this will help to sort out a problem that we have failed to address for years.

I know I sound critical but I am only pointing out what everyone who has seen us play must have witnessed for themselves. If Buck can deal with this problem and bring in a Roger Johnson type central defender, I believe there is enough about us to survive this critical first season. Here's hoping!!!

15. Scottswan

Scottswan Active Member

Completely agreed Ivor.

We could do with someone like Jack Hobbs, who I think is available and transfer listed(?)... someone who can play to an extent, but more importantly is a beasting CB. Ash is getting there, but he´s never going to be able to completely dominate like a 6´3" lump can. I think also the problem is even if we clear it, we´ve struggled for presence in the midfield when it comes to physicality, and that "first ball" after a defensive clearance can often be won by other teams simply because they´ve got taller/meaner midfielders than we have.

On the other hand, we really have developed a system whereby we retain possession extremely well,and I think we might surprise a few top half teams by our ability to knock it around. Not everyone plays like that in the Premiership, and those that do often enjoy the lions share of posession, even if they end up on the losing side!

I´d like to see an old head brought in at LB, just to back up Taylor a bit, too. Teach him a few tricks and help him work on his positioning. Assuming Bodde comes back I think the midfield is ok, unless they´ve found someone who´s a steal and suits us/Kemy turns up and fights his way into the team by playing well.

16. PremierJack

PremierJack Member

What we would give for Bodde to hit a 50yd against Man Utd at Old Trafford.

Sounds better than Preston at Deepdale..............

Everyone is worried about his injury.....look at Jimmy Bullard same injury twice and back to his best.....

17. Scottswan

Scottswan Active Member

Haha, back to his best?! That´s generous...

18. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

if i was an opposition player the first thing i would go for is his knee

19. Scottswan

Scottswan Active Member

I´d congratulate on him on the best bit of daylight robbery ever (STILL being pid 40k per week at Hull), and then go for his knee!

Edit: Actually, I´d also congratulate him on single handedly beating Cardiff at their place too ;)...

20. ivoralljack

Musty, If I were Bodde I'd be looking for this and give the first player to try it such a dig the rest of the Premiership will remember it for a long, long time. And yes, Ferrie is quite capable of doing it.