1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Premier League season, 2021 / 2022

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, May 7, 2021.

1. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

If he's so experienced & talented why didn't Basel want to keep him. If he's not good enough for Basel why is he good enough for us in the PL. As much as possible we need to clear out the dead wood, by which I mean anyone who isn't in our present or future plans. Less quantity more quality.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    DHCanary likes this.
  2. carrowcanario

Same was said when Maddison left. EMI will leave this summer. How we invest the money we get for him is what's important.

3. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I totally agree, Lisbon. Emi is a precocious talent crucial to making Farkeball work. He will be very, very difficult to replace if he leaves. Maddison was a key player for his goals, but Emi has a virtually telepathic relationship with Pukki and the other attacking players including Aarons, with whom he also has an excellent rapport defensively as well. If we lose him, our survival chances will be greatly reduced.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    SuffolkCanary likes this.
  4. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

Maddison? He was central to all we did for one season and when we sold him it was doom and gloom on here, but that turned out rather well.
    (Just read the rest of the posts and realise you are all saying the same thing).

5. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Looks like it's official now <cheers>

upload_2021-6-1_11-48-6.png

6. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was going to contact the mods and ask when.
    I guess now the last play off game has taken place it makes
    sense to do all the league adjustments in one hit <ok>

brb likes this.
  7. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

Shows they're not a lazy bunch, those mods. They could have said why bother when we'll just have to change it back next summer ......... ;)

8. RiverEndRick

The big difference with Maddison was that we were in the Championship back then, not going into the PL. A new player to replace Emi will take time to adjust to Farkeball under PL pressure.

When Maddison left we were changing to a new style of play suited to Pukki, Vrančić and yes, Buendia himself. We haven't made any preparation for this transition if Emi leaves so our current options are Josh Martin, Hernandez or Placheta switching to the right flank, Rupp switching from midfield or Dowell moving over. The sort of pacey wingers rumoured might be a partial solution but that would be a huge gamble. Will they make the defensive contribution that Emi makes, or the steals that lead to goals like the one that produced the winner against ManCity? I doubt it.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear that PL teams will murder us on that weakened right flank, especially if Max moves on as well and Skipp doesn't return, leaving us with 3 new players trying to gel with each other and the rest of the team.

9. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

10. Robbie BB

Are you sure? Emi leaving this summer has been on the cards since at least the start of last season. It's inconceivable that SW and DF have not begun preparation for whatever "transition" they envisage. I'd say Kieran Dowell's increased prominence in the latter stages of last season is indicative of who they see as filling the gap left by Emi's departure. Dowell was one of only two Championship players who averaged 0.2 through balls/game last season (against Emi's 0.3). Interestingly the other was a player who could conceivably be in our sights for a season-long loan -- Harvey Elliot. He would perfectly fit the bill for the wide right position -- left-footed, 7 goals and 11 assists in 41 games for Blackburn last season.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    zogean_king and DHCanary like this.

11. Robbie BB

Just like Leicester prior to their title winning season then!

zogean_king and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  12. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

13. RiverEndRick

Harvey Eliot could be a useful addition on paper, but he would hardly be a like for like replacement for Buendia. At 18, not 19 until next April, there's a huge gulf in experience between Elliot and Emi - 31 starts for Blackburn hardly compares with Buendia's career to date and Emi's 15 goals and 16 assists this season.

My principal concern, however, is WhoScored's rating for Eliot's defensive contribution as 'Weak'. That's something we could hardly afford to carry in the PL where opposing teams will ruthlessly exploit any weaknesses. Patrick Roberts looked to be a good loan signing last season, but his lack of sufficient defensive skills limited his involvement to nil. Hopefully SW and DF have learned from that.

14. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Agree with that and will trust the Norwich team to make an assessment. But we (or at least I) don’t know why he isn’t staying at Basel - maybe he didn’t want to having seen us get promoted and he asked to fight for a place in the Norwich team?

Farked19 and wi-exile like this.
  15. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

Maybe Basel could not afford his wage expectations either.

16. carrowcanario

As I understand it Basel was his dream move. I seem to remember he was a Basel fan. I very much doubt he had a chance to stay and turned it down. For me there are 2 possibilities either Basel didn't want him or he thought he could get more money by returning to us and PL wages for doing not a lot. I would like to think Basel didn't want him which was my understanding.

17. Robbie BB

Despite finishing second in the Swiss Super League, Basel have had a particularly poor season by their standards, ending all of thirty-one points behind the title winners Young Boys, Bern <yikes>. On top of that they suffered their worst ever home defeat, at the hands of Winterthur, a lower league side, in the Swiss Cup, after which the back four, including Klose, were absolutely slated. This all culminated in the manager being sacked and, eventually, a change of ownership. The club are clearly looking to rebuild and it's not surprising that TK is not in those plans. On the plus side, he played 27 of 36 games in the league, plus several cup and other games, which suggests that he has put his injuries behind him. Basel clearly had problems and his not being offered a contract there can't simply be laid at TK's door.

18. carrowcanario

These articles pretty much support what I said

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/timm-klose-fc-basel-future-norwich-city-7951008

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-timm-klose-fc-basel-loan-end-7994110

Canary Rob likes this.
  19. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

20. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

There was that one memorable goal against you know who...

please log in to view this image

Canary Rob, Resurgam and RiverEndRick like this.