1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Premier League season, 2021 / 2022

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, May 7, 2021.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wasn't sure where else to put this, but someone has compiled the wage bills of European clubs for the 19/20 season. https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/ok250r/oc_european_clubs_wage_bills_201920/

The Norwich accounts are for a 13 month period, and it's not clear whether a correction has been applied for that, but our wages were 38th highest in Europe, despite being second bottom of the 18 Premier League teams with declared accounts (only Sheffield United spent less on wages)

Crazy that being in the Premier League meant we could spend more on wages than Ajax, Lazio, Sporting CP Lisbon, RB Salzburg...

Wage/Turnover in the Championship is crazy. Reading at 211%, Blackburn 190%, Brentford 186%, Preston 179%, Boro 160%, Forest 148%, Birmingham 145%, Leeds 144%, Fulham 125%, WBA 124%, Bristol City 123%, Millwall 115%, Stoke 106%. It's a covid-effected season, but some of those numbers are crazy.

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Little wonder that Blackburn need every penny from the Armstrong sale. They and Reading in particular are quite shocking.

3. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

I wonder if there will be any rebalance after covid? I was disappointed that the league 1 and 2 salary cap plans were scrapped after the court challenge

RiverEndRick likes this.
  4. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Are either of these lineups:

21-22B.png 21-22A.png

Better than any of these lineups:
    20-21.png 19-20.png 18-19.png

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  5. RiverEndRick

I'd go for the first one, hoping that it would give more solidity at the back and still provide a threat going forward.

upload_2021-7-25_20-43-59.png

The only change would be a back 3 like this:

Gibson----Hanley----Omobamidele (or Zimmerman)

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  6. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

Can't have Hanley there, apparently he is not PL class.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  7. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

I still think this team is stronger... Losing Buendia AND Skipp puts us back several steps. Not sure the latest replacements make up for this yet, let alone improve us.

please log in to view this image

RiverEndRick likes this.
  8. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

I'm with you Hairy.

9. RiverEndRick

Well, considering that Skipp is unlikely to be available, that formation isn't going to be available. Clearly, I hope that we bring in a quality DM but if, as Paddy seems to be suggesting, we don't, then 3 at the back or a midfield 3 would be a stronger formation, unless Sørensen is considered ready to assume the DM role against PL opposition.

Another question is would Skipp be as effective in the PL in a 4-2-3-1? I doubt it as Skipp's strengths are primarily against the ball rather than when we have possession - short accurate passes yes, but rarely a raking diagonal pass or telling through ball to an attacking player.

I also wonder whether DF sees Lees-Melou possibly as the deeper player in a double pivot, given his performance against Huddersfield in that role. That could compromise his attacking skills, though he would be able to add the telling passes that a DM like Skipp may lack. If so, that may explain the use of 3 at the back in pre-season.

10. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

Your comment about Lees-Melou ties in with my assessment of him as a player with Nice - that it is difficult to work out his best position. He seems to have an uncontrolled urge to chase the ball. If he is supposed to be a DM this will leave gaps behind him and if he is supposed to be a CM he is often everywhere apart from central midfield. He can be effective as an attacking midfielder if he is given time to either pick a pass or a shot but he won't be given that time in the PL. If DF can contrive a system where Pierre can have time on the ball in a deeper position without any defined defensive responsibilities apart from harrying opponents on the ball you could well have an effective player on your hands but, if not, it is difficult to see where he will fit in.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    zogean_king likes this.

11. 1950canary

When you bear in mind that Nice, who are one of the top 6 Clubs in France with a Stadium complex far superior to Carrow Road, had a wage bill of only 45% of City's you can understand why French players are keen to move to the PL

DHCanary likes this.
  12. RiverEndRick

It's possible that DF sees him in a 3 man midfield where the other two act as a double pivot and he has a free role to break up opposition attacks and link up with the attacking players once the ball is won. Alternatively he could play that role in a midfield 2 screening a 3 man defence, where one CB, say Sørensen, moves up into midfield when the ball is won, allowing PLM to move up to support the attack and both dropping back when the ball is lost.

13. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Whilst it's only pre-season, PLM still sounds like one of the most promising signings we've made from the limited we've seen so far. I'm quite excited to see more of him.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  14. RiverEndRick

Yes, intriguing as we try to balance 1950's comments with the fact that he was playing in a top six Ligue 1 side and has been highly praised by his Nice team-mate Saint Maximin, who moved from Nice to Newcastle for £18m.

15. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

With you knowledge of Nice 1950 I wonder what you thought of Claude-Maurice? as we were interested in him in previous years.

16. 1950canary

Could be a very good capture for about £10m. Out and out attacking midfielder who was stiffled a bit by the system used by Vierra. Not tall enough to play further forward but knows where the back of the net is. Like Buendia, quick off the mark but not as good as him. Do we need another AM?

17. 1950canary

Don't get me wrong. I do like Pierre and, unlike many Nice fans, think he could be a decent player if you accept his failings of being easily pulled out of position and needing time on the ball to be effective. We might be coloured by his performances under Vierra who was devoted to his own system and spent a lot of the game shouting instructions at Pierre. Despite that he was a regular in the side. In the calmer pace of friendlies I can imagine he could look a class player but in the hurly burly of the PL I have my doubts. I really do hope I am wrong.

18. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I’m aware that he played more centrally in midfield for Nice under Vierra. I was under the impression when we were looking at him that he was a more of a winger?

19. RiverEndRick

This is WhoScored's Nice formation, but note the numbers:

Screenshot_20210727-215959.png

20. RiverEndRick

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021