1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Premier League, Cups & Euro Watch

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by LuisDiazgamechanger, Jul 6, 2018.

?

Result...

1. Home win

2. Draw

3. Away win

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

<laugh>
    Just checked when I'm in Liverpool

Im about a month wide of this date <laugh>

2. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Long stag party?

3. Sucky

God no<laugh>

4. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

I think you, me and everyone else just have to accept that not everyone agrees with the homosexual lifestyle and every now and again someone makes a stand against it. If your religion forbids promoting it and you are a devout follower ( some aren't) then I think you have a right to your voice being heard as loudly as those trying to drown you out. If he was actively promoting aggression or discrimination against a group then you may have a point but he isn't. He quietly took himself out of a situation by not making himself available for selection. If you can't or won't allow opposite views to your own to exist then you have to reevaluate just who is being the aggressor here. (Not you personally but 'one' needs to ... ) I don't have to agree with someone's beliefs in order for me to let them be free to express them. And obviously I'm not talking about people having the right to incite violence or hate against others.

saintKlopp, THE FOOL and Bumps like this.
  5. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

No would have suffice, you didn't need to use my actual name <doh>

6. johnsonsbaby

I'm not sure how opinions can be dangerous unless they are backed up with action but discriminatory and hurtful opinions go both ways. Some deeply religious people see the promotion of the rainbow flag as just that. Ask the victims of the trans teenager who fought to use the bathroom of the opposite sex and went on to rape two girls how hurtful those opposing opinions turned out to be. And I'm not saying in any way, shape or form that this is representative of trans people because it absolutely isn't. It's just an example of how trying to be inclusive can backfire horrendously.

There are two legitimate sides to this issue: one is the side in favour of promoting gay issues and the other is the religious view, mostly Islam and as I've learned from reading about this case, Senegalese Muslims, who have a far stronger reaction, it seems, against this issue (as well as anti-alcohol as we've seen with Mané). For me, as soon as I'm made aware of stories like this, if the perceived 'culprit' is devoutly religious then it becomes a non story. I just accept that Muslims have very strong views on sexuality and move on. Trying to make more of it is just looking to create division imo. I don't think the two sides will ever meet in any sort of agreement so I accept that neither is right and neither is wrong.

Just out of interest because I genuinely don't know, what rights don't gay people have that the rest of us do have?

THE FOOL likes this.
  7. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Well it’s illegal in Senegal and many other countries so there are quite a few rights that they don’t have there.

8. johnsonsbaby

Sorry, I meant in this country. Obviously they don't have rights in Senegal or Saudi etc etc. Our footballers wearing rainbows won't help those situations.

THE FOOL likes this.
  9. Gerrardsitchyear

Gerrardsitchyear Well-Known Member

If he was willing to rape someone, i'm guessing he'd have no qualms about using a bathroom he wasn't allowed in.

Its not always a case of having the right in law, but whether you're actually allowed the right in practice. For example, you're still allowed the right to an abortion in many southern states, but you might have the run the gauntlet of a host of placard-bearing god-botherers to do so.

10. Gerrardsitchyear

What if their footballers did?

11. johnsonsbaby

Except he didn't do it before he changed his identity :huh:

You have the right to an abortion in every state in the US. Some of the southern states allow abortion up to and including birth. Those born alive after the failed attempt to induce heart failure, are left in the birthing room unattended until they die. And this 'God botherer' calls that infanticide. I don't know about you?

Diego likes this.
  12. johnsonsbaby

In Saudi they would be stoned to death. And that's why I'm more bothered about the World Cup being given to Qatar than I am about a player declining to wear a certain shirt. Where is the outrage about the location of the World Cup. I don't recall Viera, for examle, refusing to let any of his players go there or expressing any concerns at all. It's all a bit hypocritical. Those being outspoken about gay issues are choosing their battles.

THE FOOL likes this.
  13. Gerrardsitchyear

The condemnation of the award of the WC to Qatar has been pretty widespread.
    That does not happen, i'm pretty sure.

14. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Obviously in this country we have numerous discrimination laws that means everyone has equal rights. However that’s in law.. I’m sure if you asked many gay people (or black, or even just women) if they feel they are treated equality to say a straight white man, then the majority of them will say no.

I think it’s really hard to say how certain things can affect people. What if there are gay boys in Senegal or France that look up to that psg player. And suddenly he’s effectively saying being gay is wrong and I won’t wear a shirt that celebrates it, that’s not the message that is going to help the situation.

M!LK likes this.
  15. johnsonsbaby

It absolutely does. It's why there has been a hearing on Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Bill.

I'm not going any further with this particular topic because I've got very strong feelings on it and I don't want to fall out with or create tension between us over something not football related. So I'm out on this one <ok>

saintKlopp and Gerrardsitchyear like this.
  16. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

I do love these discussions on here.

My little opinion

On the footballer that's come out. Acceptance takes a number of stages, nothing ever goes from hidden to acceptable with out a number of stages in between.

As can be seen by the fuss, it's not quite as acceptable as maybe we think, the day a footballer proudly announces they are gay and the media know nobody gives a **** do don't run the story will be the day its accepted fully.

It's better now, but still not complete.

On not wanting to wear a rainbow. From what I've read his motivation is unclear, he's not screamed and shouted, he's not denounced homosexuality as the work of the devil, he's just quietly removed himself. It's up to him, and to be fair I don't care what his reasons are, he's not tried to impose them on anybody, he's not hurt anybody.

Personally I'm prone to getting a very wound up over ****, I do like the occasional outburst. I'm hopefully quick to apologise.

However I have tried to see that tolerance isn't just about accepting sexuality or race etc and treating everyone the same until someone disagrees thrn getting on my high horse and screaming insults.

It's also about accepting that people will have different opinions than I do, not treating them as idiots or reprehensible.

I hope I've expressed myself clearly, I find I generally make an arse of these kind of posts

Diego and saintKlopp like this.
  17. LuisDiazgamechanger

18. Sucky

saintKlopp, M!LK and Zanjinho like this.
  19. johnsonsbaby

I agree with all of that. Very well thought out and put <ok>

I'm usually always sorry that I get involved in these contentious issues because sooner or later it gets away from the original reason for having the discussion in the first place and like you have said here, I too find that I've said something that's upset someone.

The thing is we are probably all on the same side with regard to gay people being treated as equals, similarly people of other races and colours. The world works a whole lot better if we use kindness first and try to understand the other's point of view, even if we disagree. I find the whole shouting people down and denying them the same respect as you want for your cause to be, at the very least, hypocritical. 'I want you to give me respect for who I am but btw I don't respect you' - is all too common as one side declares their group to be more worthy than the other.

Apart from inciting hate and actively seeking to discriminate, I think everyone has an equal right to be heard. If you have an unpopular opinion it shouldn't bring condemnation on you but rather be an opportunity to discuss what we do agree on. We're more similar to each other than we think we are.

saintKlopp and THE FOOL like this.
  20. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

#savingformbappe

Sucky likes this.