1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Premier League, Cups & Euro Watch

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by LuisDiazgamechanger, Jul 6, 2018.

?

Result...

1. Home win

2. Draw

3. Away win

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Tell them to phone Tobes so he can explain his "deferred revenue" theory though!

Bumps and THE FOOL like this.
  2. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

The preferred outcome for the competitions and a lot of clubs will definitely be to manage to get the competitions finished. The money involved means they’ve got to do what they can to fit it in.

It really does depend on how the virus continues to affect things though as to whether that’s actually possible or not. And at the point where more money would be lost from next season than is lost by not finishing this one, the preference would change.

It’s interesting to see that finishing the European competitions is being given the same priority as finishing the domestic competitions. That means it’s 20 rounds of games still to be played which requires quite a decent chunk of time to complete.

3. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

I told you it's about integrity of the game and the competitions. Void the CL and EL and UEFA are done. The European competitions need the domestic leagues to maintain their integrity ie. proper standings in order for the whole to retain it's integrity. Domestic and European football has a symbiotic relationship.

Bumps likes this.
  4. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

I said that at the start and got told just scrap Europe and finish the league...

I was of the opinion it was all or nothing but plenty on here disagreed.

I still think the integrity argument is absolute nonsense. It’s about money.

Tobes likes this.
  5. astro

astro Well-Known Member

6. johnsonsbaby

UEFA pulled the Euros pretty quickly - why? to give the domestic leagues more time to complete so that the CL and EL maintain their integrity by having the teams who really qualified for them taking part, they've actually come out and said that. They also said any leagues being voided wouldn't be allowed to send teams to the CL or EL.

So yes, money talks, that's massively obvious but there has always been the element of maintaining competition integrity. UEFA rules at present say non-completion of league games means non-qualification for European competitions

Bumps and Zanjinho like this.
  7. astro

astro Well-Known Member

UEFA weren't a fan of just giving last year's teams another place for free? Who saw that coming? Oh yeah, all off us not desperately hoping for the league to be cancelled.

8. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

****ing hell <yikes> Can't believe I've read through the last 6 pages <doh>

THE FOOL, Bumps, Libby and 1 other person like this.
  9. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Spoil sport...:bandit:

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  10. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Yup, and **** you all. :emoticon-0148-yes:

11. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

If a few of Spain, England, Germany and Italy had to cancel their leagues there’s zero chance of UEFA not giving CL spots to those countries. The drop in viewing figures from not having any of the top teams along with the chance that those teams explore having an alternate tournament is far more of a financial and integrity risk to the competition.

The decisions will be based on the financial implications.

And if we hit a point where finishing this seasons games stops next season going ahead the financial argument will switch and we will see totally different stances being taken. For now it’s about protecting this seasons income so it’s totally understandable the views being expressed by the leagues, clubs and UEFA.

12. johnsonsbaby

..... or UEFA who are actually hosting and running the talks are confident that the leagues they are talking to are not wanting to scrub their season. Domestic and European football are hand in hand with this. UEFA aren't worried about excluding the big boys from anything because it's not going to come to that.

FIFA have now put plans in place to extend all player contracts to the end of the season whenever that will be.

UEFA suspends all CL EL rounds and Euro qualifiers indefinitely to free up space for domestic leagues.

13. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Have you got a link to these plans FIFA have put in place to extend contracts? All I can find is talk about them hoping something can be agreed but it being very difficult to do that due to all the legal implications and number of different interested parties with different views. Which is one of the main reasons they’d talked about needing to finish the season by the end of June. It’ll be interesting to see how they plan on dealing with the contract situation. As far as I can see there is no plan in place though so if you’ve got a link to a source I’d love to read it!

14. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Just been over to Blue Moon forum to check how they're doing.

They're still going on about that time one bottle was thrown at their coach <laugh>

Saturday will be the 2 year anniversary BTW <rose>

15. johnsonsbaby

I'm not good at links on my phone. It's on ESPN a q&a about the proposals FIFA have put together.

afcftw likes this.
  16. johnsonsbaby

Did you find it?

17. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

18. astro

astro Well-Known Member

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/uef...nd-euro-2020-qualifying-playoffs-indefinitely

FIFA has already put plans in place for player contracts to be extended until the last day of the season, whenever that might be.

19. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

I’m guessing that article is referring to the same plans mentioned in the one I found. Doesn’t actually give any information on how it’ll be done just says they’ll be extended. And the guy writing the article who had supposedly seen the plans was saying it requires everyone to agree rather than being enforceable and that there are still lots of issues around legalities.

It’ll definitely be interesting to see how it all plays out when they do whatever it is they plan to do! Whatever happens now there are likely to be legal challenges I’d think.

20. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

FIFA can’t unilaterally decide to extend players contracts, all they can do is suggest that a short term extension is the way around the issue. FIFA don’t control employment law though, and any extensions would have to be individually agreed, and if a player (or club) says ‘no thanks’ that’s completely their prerogative.

afcftw likes this.